• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gas range: Wolf? Thermador? Bluestar? Viking?

annachan

People with bluestar: Does anyone know how hot do the sides of the range get?  I'm in the market for a range, and the way our kitchen is arranged, the left side of the range is open to the room and the doorway to the kitchen.  I'm worried someone (like my four year old) will burn themselves on it. 

37 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

People with bluestar: Does anyone know how hot do the sides of the range get?  I'm in the market for a range, and the way our kitchen is arranged, the left side of the range is open to the room and the doorway to the kitchen.  I'm worried someone (like my four year old) will burn themselves on it. 

They don't get hot at all.

any more feedback from people with a wolf range/rangetop with the infra-red chargrill?  I'm just about to do our kitchen refit and would love one of these if it does a good job

On 7/11/2018 at 8:18 AM, &roid said:

any more feedback from people with a wolf range/rangetop with the infra-red chargrill?  I'm just about to do our kitchen refit and would love one of these if it does a good job

A good friend of mine has an older Wolf range. I believe it's from before the consumer stuff got spun off to SubZero, and I don't know if the designs have changed.

He had problems with the char grill failing. Presumably from getting gummed up by drippings. The second time a service guy came out to fix it, my friend asked if there was anything he could do to keep the thing working. The repairman said, "if you want to grill, go outside."

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly