• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gas range: Wolf? Thermador? Bluestar? Viking?

annachan

There's this burner which seems to have a decent orifice pattern.

Mr. Heater 15,000 BTU SINGLE BURNER ANGLE IRON STOVE

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I think this might turn out to be long and hesitated to even start but I'll try to keep it short.  I cooked on gas stoves in my 20's and 30's. I had a 36 residential one at home and a Garland at the restaurant we had for about 7 years.  For the last 40 plus years, I have cooked indoors on electric ranges.  The latest one is a glass top and although it was OK for the first couple of years, the cooktop is constantly needing cleaning and the main burner won't always turn down when I want it down.  I have decided to put in a gas stove in the next few months, maybe sooner.  The first one I looked at was Blue Star.  Then I looked at some others.  Technology has changed quite a bit since the 1970's.  I don't really need a tank in my kitchen. I rarely cook for more that two and most frequently,  just use the stove to make an omelet or two. I cook whole meals a couple times a week.  My turn at Thanksgiving meals comes once every three or four years.  I think I have settled on a GE double oven range with a 18,000 btu main burner and varying lesser heat on the other ones.  I welcome any comments on my thinking. I have not made a final final decision but I like what I see in the GE. 

• Like 3

I have a GE 30" slide-in duel fuel similar to this one, it has the warming drawer (forget that, it is worthless).  The range is now about 10 years old and going strong.  (I especially like the electric oven for baking breads.)

Product Image

20 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I think I have settled on a GE double oven range with a 18,000 btu main burner and varying lesser heat on the other ones.

Is it this one with convection, Norm?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

If you're looking at a double oven, you might consider this Samsung Flex Duo gas oven. It's expensive, but flexible in that it can be two ovens or one.  I have an older electric version of this.  What I like about it is that a partition can be added or removed to allow one to make 2 small oven compartments or a single 5.8 cu. ft. oven.  What I don't like about mine is that it has a single door, so that both oven compartments lose heat when you open the door. Samsung has solved that problem in its later models with a specially articulated door so that you can open only the top or open the entire door as one.  The handle latch seems to be foolproof. There are other pros and cons that I'll explain if anyone asks.

My best friend bought the single-chamber version of this oven earlier this year and is delighted with it so far.  The hottest burner is plenty hot for the stir-frying that they commonly do, and theirs came with a wok cradle. (The single-oven version was about $1000 less than this dual-chamber version.  I'd probably have paid the extra grand, considering the baking that I do, but to them it wasn't worth it.) They hated their previous smooth-top stove, and I haven't heard any complaints about cleaning this gas stove top.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

I think this might turn out to be long and hesitated to even start but I'll try to keep it short.  I cooked on gas stoves in my 20's and 30's. I had a 36 residential one at home and a Garland at the restaurant we had for about 7 years.  For the last 40 plus years, I have cooked indoors on electric ranges.  The latest one is a glass top and although it was OK for the first couple of years, the cooktop is constantly needing cleaning and the main burner won't always turn down when I want it down.  I have decided to put in a gas stove in the next few months, maybe sooner.  The first one I looked at was Blue Star.  Then I looked at some others.  Technology has changed quite a bit since the 1970's.  I don't really need a tank in my kitchen. I rarely cook for more that two and most frequently,  just use the stove to make an omelet or two. I cook whole meals a couple times a week.  My turn at Thanksgiving meals comes once every three or four years.  I think I have settled on a GE double oven range with a 18,000 btu main burner and varying lesser heat on the other ones.  I welcome any comments on my thinking. I have not made a final final decision but I like what I see in the GE. 

A couple of cool points you make here, Norm.

But the one that I catch onto immediately is about technology. As I said before, Ioved the Bosch range I had; really worked well for me for 10+ years...my main gripe with the new prosumer class is the 5 burners...and the technology.  Because, in my mind, if anything's gonna break or go bad, it's a circuit board that's surrounded by high heat and moisture.

That said, I think a range is a pretty personal choice, so you go with what you like.  

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@lindag Thanks for the mention. I had an electric GE stove top and and an electric GE oven recently. Both were good.  The guy at the appliance store said GE is doing some good things now days.

@Smithy That looks nice but I notice it's a slide-in and because I may put in new counters in the future, I think I need a free standing model now.

@rotuts I don't have an issue with the griddle. I doubt I will use it much.  I expect I will replace it with a regular grate like on the other two sides.

@lindag I just got a C Steam Oven and am not impressed with it so far. It's so small for one thing. I also have a B Smart Oven which is very nice and I use it all the time but both take up limited counter space in my small kitchen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

@lindag Thanks for the mention. I had an electric GE stove top and and an electric GE oven recently. Both were good.  The guy at the appliance store said GE is doing some good things now days.

@Smithy That looks nice but I notice it's a slide-in and because I may put in new counters in the future, I think I need a free standing model now.

My mistake on the link.  They also make a freestanding model. Oddly, it seems to cost considerably less than the slide-in version that I linked to earlier.  I wish I could justify buying a new oven and range!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 minutes ago, Smithy said:

My mistake on the link.  They also make a freestanding model. Oddly, it seems to cost considerably less than the slide-in version that I linked to earlier.  I wish I could justify buying a new oven and range!

Very nice. I will look into it if there are any concerns that arise with the GE before I buy it.

On 11/4/2006 at 5:45 PM, johnder said:

I thought the Viking stoves had 15k BTU vs. the Wolf which has 16k. At least that was the case when I did the research last year.

The advantage of the wolf is you can get dang hot flame or a low low low flame. You can forget  sauce on for hours on low flame and it

won't burn the sauce.

I've had the Wolf 12+ years, before subzero bought the line.

The real advantage of the Wolf is you make new friends. like the wolf repair man.

• Haha 3

On 9/16/2017 at 9:06 AM, lindag said:

Why two ovens?

If you can afford it, why not? Better to have two ovens and not use the second one than to need two ovens and not have them both.

My mom would have killed for a second oven when making holiday meals. She's a stickler for everything timed to be ready to eat (and hot) at the same time but with one oven, that's a pipe dream.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 9/16/2017 at 8:01 AM, weinoo said:

...my main gripe with the new prosumer class is the 5 burners...

I find the center burner on my stove to be worthless. When I am cooking there is no room for a fifth pan in the middle.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I find the center burner on my stove to be worthless. When I am cooking there is no room for a fifth pan in the middle.

Mine is similar...A long grill pan came with my GE it fits down the center but doesn't get the whole surface hot enough to cook anything.  Pretty worthless,

1 hour ago, weedy said:

Just going to say once that I've been VERY happy having switched to induction 

Me too!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog