• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stoves and Ovens: Wolf? Thermador? Bluestar? Viking?

cfbuchanan

That is really awesome.  Someday I hope to have a huge indoor burner like your outside one, I figure it will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000-3000 to get it done proper.

This generates a fairly large amount of smoke and airborne grease (you can see a little of it in the photo). I hope you're planning on having an industrial-strength hood/ventilator.

Bill/SFNM

Outdoors, I have a 60,000+BTU wok burner that I can also use for deep frying, lobster steaming, and other messy tasks such as browning meat for braises. This burner cost me $60 (the wok was $9) and produces results that I doubt I could ever achieve on an inside burner:

chickenC.jpg

Bill/SFNM

I WANT ONE!!!!!! Too bad we don't have much of a back yard.....I'll definitely look into it when we move to a place that can accomodate an outdoor kitchen!

BTW, where did you get the $60 burner from? How is that hooked up?

I WANT ONE!!!!!! Too bad we don't have much of a back yard.....I'll definitely look into it when we move to a place that can accomodate an outdoor kitchen!

BTW, where did you get the $60 burner from? How is that hooked up?

I got the burner here.

It is hooked up to 20# propane tank which is under the counter.

Bill/SFNM

That is really awesome.  Someday I hope to have a huge indoor burner like your outside one, I figure it will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000-3000 to get it done proper.

This generates a fairly large amount of smoke and airborne grease (you can see a little of it in the photo). I hope you're planning on having an industrial-strength hood/ventilator.

Bill/SFNM

Yea, I figure a thousand for the burner, then fifteen hundred for the hood.

Put in a Viking unit and Viking dual fan hood about 15 years ago. The thing is a TANK! Yes the burners are ALL 15K but most other ranges if they have a higher burner rating, then the other burners are lower to keep the same total heat load. You MUST have an adequate ventialtion system to the outside not only for smoke and odors but for heat removal. Once a year if lucky it gets cleaned. The most important thing is to clean the grease traps on the hood by removing the housing around the fans, very simple. I also pull the fan units out and inspect the ducting for grease and oil, so far the grease traps have done thier job.-Dick

We also chose Blue Star, in our case a 36-inch cooktop rather than a range. After nearly a year, we are absolutely delighted. As Marya points out, Blue Star has dedicated burners that go very high and very low. Even the regular burners have no problem melting chocolate without a double boiler or steaming rice.

Prizer-Painter (Blue Star manufacturer)

David Rosengarten article comparing Blue Star, Viking, Jade, and DCS.

And for the truly obsessed, the archive of all Blue Star threads on GardenWeb.

I'm so glad you love your Blue Star. I have my heart set on one, when I finally get around to the big kitchen renovation. 22,000 BTUs as well as low simmer. A big plus for me is that they do not have sealed burners--though I know others may not share that preference.

Your kitchen is beautiful, btw.

Yes the burners are ALL 15K but most other ranges if they have a higher burner rating, then the other burners are lower to keep the same total heat load.

I have two 22,000, one 15,000 and one 12,000 (simmer) BTU burner. BlueStar does not provide you with a high output burner, a wimpy simmer burner (this one goes from 350 to 12,000) and mediocre secondary burners. I can cook full blast on all of them. I also use the griddle to keep sauces warm and maintain temp or simmer. It's my compromise for not getting a flattop.

I neglected to mention that my rangetop is fueled with propane and the unit came propane-ready from the plant, thus giving me the full 22,000btu's and no loss in power.  And as C.sapidus mentioned, a powerful hood is a must.  I have a 900cfm Vent-a-hood that's 54"x27".  The three extra inches all around allow for smoke-free grilling and wok cooking.

To my knowlege you will always get a drop in BTUs with propane

Each unit is custom manufactured after the item is ordered. If you specify propane, they don't build a natural gas product and then convert to propane. I was told that the fittings were specifically designed to allow the full complement of gas to flow through with no loss in power.

Yes the burners are ALL 15K but most other ranges if they have a higher burner rating, then the other burners are lower to keep the same total heat load.

I have two 22,000, one 15,000 and one 12,000 (simmer) BTU burner. BlueStar does not provide you with a high output burner, a wimpy simmer burner (this one goes from 350 to 12,000) and mediocre secondary burners. I can cook full blast on all of them. I also use the griddle to keep sauces warm and maintain temp or simmer. It's my compromise for not getting a flattop.

My Viking has all 15K burners. The BlueStar burners are not all the same, the 12K burner is not full power so I stand by my statement. I do wish the Viking burners were higher output but I don't have to worry about which burner I am using. -Dick

[My Viking has all 15K burners. The BlueStar burners are not all the same, the 12K burner is not full power so I stand by my statement. I do wish the Viking burners were higher output but I don't have to worry about which burner I am using. -Dick

All 6 of the burners on my DCS are 17.5.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

I have a 36" all gas DCS seen here: http://www.dcs-range.com/indoor/detail.php?id=8

Very pleased with it. The simmer works great very low. To tell you the truth I was so hung up with BTUs when looking at ranges that I have to laugh at myself - I hardly ever use the burners past medium, but I do have "the power" for the rare instances that I do. :smile:

• 1 month later...

My kitchen remodel is nearly done, and I am using my incredible new Wolf stove with the convection oven. I have pored over the information about how to care for it, but it isn't specific as to brands, etc. I can use a spray-on degreaser, which I don't think I have ever had before. I'm supposed to be able to clean the glass oven window with Windex, but it isn't working very well. I'd love some suggestions.

Try ammonia. It just works.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

My kitchen remodel is nearly done, and I am using my incredible new Wolf stove with the convection oven.  I have pored over the information about how to care for it, but it isn't specific as to brands, etc.  I can use a spray-on degreaser, which I don't think I have ever had before.  I'm supposed to be able to clean the glass oven window with Windex, but it isn't working very well.  I'd love some suggestions.

i've had a wolf for 15 years, i use SOS for tough baked on stuff, otherwise just regular dishwashing soap and a little scrubbing. i spray ammonia on the outside stainless, then i "polish" a little with a dry rag.

My kitchen remodel is nearly done, and I am using my incredible new Wolf stove with the convection oven.  I have pored over the information about how to care for it, but it isn't specific as to brands, etc.  I can use a spray-on degreaser, which I don't think I have ever had before.  I'm supposed to be able to clean the glass oven window with Windex, but it isn't working very well.  I'd love some suggestions.

i've had a wolf for 15 years, i use SOS for tough baked on stuff, otherwise just regular dishwashing soap and a little scrubbing. i spray ammonia on the outside stainless, then i "polish" a little with a dry rag.

Thanks! Just checking, does yours have porcelain? I'm not sure I could use steel wool on the porcelain parts.

Thanks! Just checking, does yours have porcelain? I'm not sure I could use steel wool on the porcelain parts.

I have a Wolf and I use those silver abrasive pads that you get at the grocery store that say safe for non-stick surfaces. Doesn't seem to scratch the porcelain.

For light cleanings and regular upkeep, I've found Simple Green -- undiluted and sprayed directly on the surface of the cooled stove -- to be without peer. If you can pop out each section that surrounds the burners, do so, put them in your sink, and spray on SG; let it sit for about 3-5 minutes, and then wipe it down first with a clean paper towel followed by cool water. Amazing.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

I have a Wolf and I use those silver abrasive pads that you get at the grocery store that say safe for non-stick surfaces. Doesn't seem to scratch the porcelain.

I am having trouble with this site right now; it seems to repeat my initial message over and over and hasn't been letting me post a reply. I have Simple Green but hadn't thought of using it on the stove. I didn't know about the silver abrasive pads for non-stick surfaces; do you know what they are called? I called the manufacturer because I already can't get the burners or oven racks clean. They said I could use No-Fume Easy Off for the oven parts, but had nothing to suggest for the burners that I hadn't already done (e.g., spray degreaser, soaking in soapy water). They also said that on the oven racks, I could use the blue Scotch Brights. I hadn't realized before that the blue were less abrasive than the green/yellow. I haven't tried any of this yet but did get out and buy the No Fume Easy Off.

• 6 months later...

What started out as a kitchen window replacement has rapidly evolved into high-pressure kitchen redo, when we realized that (duh) counters and cabinets were going to get ripped out of place and half-destroyed in the process. We've just replaced our double bowl SS Kohler with a large single Franke -- I'm psyched. The range (a '98 Thermador) is out of harm's way, but we've always detested it (burners don't stay ignited, hate the on-and-off clicking of the "ultra low" burner, oven's bipolar and it's impossible to get serviced, so we're manically edging toward another major impulse buy. Any votes for Bluestar or Monogram? The latter tempts me by it's narrower depth (two inches shallower) and generally glamorous looks, but we mostly want a good performer, so should I go Bluestar? Any comments on the broiler, and simmerability? Anyone have theirs serviced yet? Thanks!

Our BlueStar is too new for me to have any long-term or servicing answers for you, but it's been a joy to use thus far. Of course it replaces a thoroughly sucky electric range so the side by side comparison wasn't too taxing. That said, I've cooked on a few other [domestic and commercial] gas appliances and the BlueStar is, as noted, a joy.

Not sure what to tell you about the simmer burner. It's low, and reliable, but simmering being so dependant on volume and pan type I find it hard to generalise. If the volume of liquid to be simmered were too small then the burner would be too high even on the really low setting I suppose, but then I'd just slide the pan over a bit....

The oven temperatures are spot on across a wide range. Are you talking about the in-oven broiler, or a broiler [grill] top?

Are you talking about the in-oven broiler, or a broiler [grill] top?

The in-oven infrared broiler. We'd be going for the 30", not sure they have a grill top option. I do like to use the broiler a fair amount which is frustrating on the Thermador -- the rack is too far from the not-so-strong heat, and for some reason ours takes some patience before it actually kicks in. It procrastinates. We have really hesitated about replacing it because it cost so much, but it's a total lemon.

How's your high-heat cooking? The Rosengarten article made me anxious to start searing meat.

The in-oven infrared broiler.  We'd be going for the 30", not sure they have a grill top option. 

Right. Ours is the convection oven 30. I've fired the oven broiler up as a test, but haven't used it 'in anger'. The previous range's broiler was so sorry that I rather got out of the habit.

As with the oven burner itself, there's a delay between turning on and start of flame - the ignition system is a glow rather than the spark of the top burners. We're talking about seconds, not minutes here, but it's not instantaneous. The ceramics get hot very fast after ignition, and I doubt I'll have any problem with insufficient output - that thing is hot.

How's your high-heat cooking?  The Rosengarten article made me anxious to start searing meat.

Authoritative :laugh: The 22ks deliver. What surprised me more was how much better the even spread from the big burner made other processes. Most of our cookware is pretty decent stuff now but even so the burner design gives more even temperatures, faster.

Bottom line: This thing was a really major purchase for us, and it had an awful lot to live up to; so far we're really pleased with it.