• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

@gfweb Yeah! Oh, what I plan to set up—if I decide to follow through—will have plenty of potential BTUs—supposedly.

But the orifice distribution isn't as nice as what's on the the fancy high-end cooktops.

Hopefully the burners that I have in mind will work well with a very heavy cast iron skillet—if not I'll try a copper or aluminum plate (probably aluminum) under the skillet to better distribute the heat.

I'm still pondering.

A searing station outside with some nice long utensils sure would be nice!

Single burner outdoor hot plate cooker with a 6" diameter 40,000 btu/hr low pressure burner, appropriate regulator and a needle valve to permit temperature adjustment down to a simmer.

There are other potential options out there. :smile:

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

@gfweb Yeah! Oh, what I plan to set up—if I decide to follow through—will have plenty of potential BTUs—supposedly.

But the orifice distribution isn't as nice as what's on the the fancy high-end cooktops.

Hopefully the burners that I have in mind will work well with a very heavy cast iron skillet—if not i'f try a copper or aluminum plate (probably aluminum) under the skillet to better distribute the heat.

I'm still pondering.

A searing station outside with some nice long utensils sure would be nice!

Single burner outdoor hot plate cooker with a 6" diameter 40,000 btu/hr low pressure burner, appropriate regulator and a needle valve to permit temperature adjustment down to a simmer.

There are other potential options out there. :smile: