• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ways to tell if potatoes have solanine...

Sony

Just had some delicious red bliss potatoes that I picked up at the farmers' market...simply boiled, little butter, salt and pepper. Enjoyed almost every single one, but the last one still has my mouth "tingling" even after brushing my teeth and rinsing with mouthwash.

I suspect it had a high concentration of solanine, but none of them had even the slightest trace of green color. Does anyone have any advice for picking potatoes? Or how to get this weird sensation out of my mouth ? :raz:

this is something that sometimes happens with truly "new" potatoes that have been freshly dug and sold without curing. to me, it adds a pleasant bitterness that makes for an interesting spud.

incidentally, solanine is not caused by/does not cause the green color in potatoes--that's chlorophyll as a result of exposure to sunlight. the two frequently happen at the same time, though. but solanine is also exaggerated by anything that threatens the potato--from excessively wet fields to insect infestations (it's a natural pesticide).

These were freshly-dug potatoes. I'd only ever heard about sunlight exposure CAUSING solanine production. Now I know better. :smile:

I've just moved to upstate NY, but I believe it's been an unusually wet growing season here. I wish I were pleasantly surprised by the tanginess/bitterness, but I guess my tastes are less complex.

Thanks for the infomation, Russ!

Solanine occurs in all plants in the family Solanaceae. This includes eggplants, tomatoes, peppers etc. Commercially grown potatoes are usually tested for solanine content to keep it at safe levels. It can build up after testing, however, if the potatoes are exposed to a lot of sunlight in the store. Like Russ said, the potato thinks it is exposed and is protecting itself from an herbivore by producing a nasty compound. If you are worried about the effects of too much of the compound, taste the potatoes. Solanine is bitter.

-L

Solanine is bitter.

-L

And, at least in my experience, very long lasting. I can still taste this horrible stuff in the back of my mouth for 10-20 minutes after eating...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

And, at least in my experience, very long lasting. I can still taste this horrible stuff in the back of my mouth for 10-20 minutes after eating...

Yep, that was the weird thing. The solanine taste this time was so potent and persistent.

It's interesting that every potato in this batch doesn't taste bitter. Maybe 20% of them. For now, unless I can find a way to identify the culprits, I've resorted to peeling them. This seems to help but I lose a yummy, nutritious layer of flavor. Boo.