• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RLB & baking powder formulas

onetoughcookie

I've been reading the threads on RLB's cakes and buttercreams, but not sure if anyone's run across this dilemna:

I use RLB's All Occasion Downy Yellow Cake recipe (I have a custom cake and cookie business).

I've used the formula given to convert the recipe into all different cake pan sizes. BUT,

my cakes end up being too high, then sink in the middle, have large tunnels and gelatinous tops: clearly the result of too much baking powder. Now, I've recalculated and recalculated and keep coming up with the same amounts. I do, however, use 3 inch deep pans, and I think that's the culprit. (RLB's formula is based on 2 inch pans) The cakes just climb up those walls. I've even calculated the difference between a 2 inch and a 3 inch deep pan, and adjusted my the bp amount by that percentage difference (am I making myself clear?). I think that's the closest I've come to perfecting it.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I love this cake because it's absolutely delicious & moist.

My clients love the flavor, too. It's structurally sound (once I level it), and goes with a zillion

different fillings.

PS. I was just reading the thread on baking from Dorie Greenspan's new book. That's a definite must get! Especially after seeing Patrick's beautiful photos!

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

You could always ask her yourself - she regularly responds to questions and comments on her blog. It's "Real Baking with Rose" at RLB Blog

Have you ever tried just holding back on the bp by 1/2 tsp or so? Scale out what you think you should use and then subtract in 5 gm increments and see what that does for you.

You could always ask her yourself - she regularly responds to questions and comments on her blog.  It's "Real Baking with Rose" at RLB Blog

Have you ever tried just holding back on the bp by 1/2 tsp or so?  Scale out what you think you should use and then subtract in 5 gm increments and see what that does for you.

Yes, I did email her at the website. Haven't seen any answer....yet.

What's interesting to me is that in first entried recipe on page 39 in The Cake Bible, the amt of bp is 19.5 gms, and the recommended cake pan height is 1.5 inches. (for a 9 inch cake) Then, when you go to the back of the book, and get into the formulas, the cake pan recommended is 2 inches high, and the baking powder amt is 26.08 gms! On my next try, I will go down to 20 or 21 gms, and try that.

Thank you for your help, though.

Somewhere in the Cake Bible is a chart that shows you what amounts of baking powder are needed for different size pans. I think the technique she advocates is to fill one size pan first, then add baking powder to the remaining batter as needed. There's something about a larger pan needing less because of surface tension. I find those charts to be almost inscrutable..Rose factor this...blah blah blah. It all just goes on and on. Too much detail for me.

Somewhere in the Cake Bible is a chart that shows you what amounts of baking powder are needed for different size pans. I think the technique she advocates is to fill one size pan first, then add baking powder to the remaining batter as needed. There's something about a larger pan needing less because of surface tension. I find those charts to be almost inscrutable..Rose factor this...blah blah blah. It all just goes on and on. Too much detail for me.

Whew! And I thought it was me! I have read that part about filling one pan first, etc.

I haven't tried it, though. Maybe I should...

Thanks for your reply, McDuff.

What's interesting to me is that in first entried recipe on page 39 in The Cake Bible, the amt of bp is 19.5 gms, and the recommended cake pan height is 1.5 inches. (for a 9 inch cake)  Then, when you go to the back of the book, and get into the formulas, the cake pan recommended is 2 inches high, and the baking powder amt is 26.08 gms!  On my next try, I will go down to 20 or 21 gms, and try that.

Rest assured that Rose will answer you. I wrote to her and she answered me quite quickly. You might have to go back to where your question appeared on her page and look for her reply under that. I actually was having the same issue with the middle of the cake sinking, and I had verified my calculations and all were ok. Her answer to me was that I should try reducing the bp a little bit as well as letting the cake mix for a bit longer (30sec - 1 min.) to let the structure of the mix build up a bit. Well, I was just very careful about my bp measurements after that, and measured by tsp instead of weight, and let my mix whirr for another 30 seconds min. and haven't had a problem since. I was using her White Butter Cake recipe, but I would try that. Hope it helps, and welcome to eGullet!!

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

What's interesting to me is that in first entried recipe on page 39 in The Cake Bible, the amt of bp is 19.5 gms, and the recommended cake pan height is 1.5 inches. (for a 9 inch cake)  Then, when you go to the back of the book, and get into the formulas, the cake pan recommended is 2 inches high, and the baking powder amt is 26.08 gms!  On my next try, I will go down to 20 or 21 gms, and try that.

Rest assured that Rose will answer you. I wrote to her and she answered me quite quickly. You might have to go back to where your question appeared on her page and look for her reply under that. I actually was having the same issue with the middle of the cake sinking, and I had verified my calculations and all were ok. Her answer to me was that I should try reducing the bp a little bit as well as letting the cake mix for a bit longer (30sec - 1 min.) to let the structure of the mix build up a bit. Well, I was just very careful about my bp measurements after that, and measured by tsp instead of weight, and let my mix whirr for another 30 seconds min. and haven't had a problem since. I was using her White Butter Cake recipe, but I would try that. Hope it helps, and welcome to eGullet!!

Great idea about letting it mix longer...and I will definitely check on the RLB site where I hope

I entered my question. Thanks so much for sharing this with me!