• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tiered cupcake display stand (hundreds)

cakezilla

I need to make a display to house 150 cupcakes. I've got the design figured out where I'll be using either particle board or foam core for the bases of the square platforms of 8X8X8, 12X12X12, and 16X16X16, stacked largest to smallest on top of each other. I'll need to cover the "boxes" with some type of fabric. What is a good, easy to clean linen that would work well with the design? I was thinking satin, but that can be pricey and not too stain resistant to buttercream. Is their a such thing as a good restaurant safe cover all that would work well for this sort of contraption? I would prefer to be able to wash and reuse but that could be costly as well.

I work part time at a grocery store florist, and we and the deli and bakery departments usually just use whatever cute cotton print we find that matches our display. You can find these for fairly cheap at craft/fabric stores like JoAnne's. We also often raid the $1 a yard bin at our WalMart (You can find some cute designs for next Halloween now, for instance). You can use any kind of fabric that's not going to show grease marks if the icing gets on it - so I'd say satin is out, but linen, muslin, corduroy, velvet, etc. would all be good. Solids might work better visually for your display - and they'll work the same - but prints really hide the spills well.

I think the key is to wash the fabric the right way. We use a really mild detergent and give it an extra rinse cycle to make sure the soap is all out before the first time we use it. Sometimes, wash it twice if the colors look like they're bleeding in the first wash. Also, we don't put any food directly on the fabric, but since you're serving cupcakes, I assume they will be in paper cups.

Edited by emilyr (log)

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I'd like to recommend that you go with foam core as opposed to particle board. There's no slivers, easier to cut, lighter in weight but will stand up to the job. I use the extra thick stuff or maybe double layers of the thin stuff - I use hot glue to adhere my stuff to it.

And I do the same as emilyr, scour the fabric aisles. I love crepe back satin - for weddings though -- it's so effortlessly, instantly dramatic.

I make my plateaus and separations to be disposable on purpose because I deliver the goods and make my getaway. If I were staying on premise I wouldn't mind recycling. But I rarely stick around. Brides don't ever have to return anything and deal with deposits & stuff. They like that & it works for me.

I use damask, brocades, lace over organza, organza over patterned materials, curtain remnants, tableclothing that is sold by the metre or yard, bedding fabrics, anything that gets you more bang for your buck and more fabric too. The extra wide fabrics are a good buy and you can often get cheaper remnants. I have used the crushed velours and velvets too. I find that the fabrics that tend to show grease spots are the satins and silk-looks. The grease from the cupcake liner may spread on these fabrics. It is always good to do a test with them.

Choice of fabric goes hand-in-hand with how formal the occasion and the decor is. Most fabrics will wash well and you will be able to get rid of any stains caused by grease or icing.

The foil cupcake tin liners probably create less grease as you can wipe them with a damp cloth before placing cupcakes on material.

I did a Dodge Dart car cake the other week and umm, I found this textured tooled leather look stuff--I mean it was plastic after all but it looked like leather and was great for the platform under the car. Then I turned around and embossed the fondant on the bride's plateau with remnants of the tooled leather look stuff. That was fun.

There is so very much variety out there now the hard part is making a decison after you go looking.

Oh yeah, I got some dalamation spotted fabric for a fireman's helmet cake I did. I think white velvet would be pure luxury for a bride's cake. I ought to go buy a yard now because you can't find it all year--but that's pricey like $20/yd-ish. I find one yard will cover most all bases I ever make. I just cover the parts that are exposed. And I gather it usually.

But I love shopping for fabric for cake bases...till I have to make the final decision that is. :rolleyes:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Here is a cupcake tree that we made for our wedding reception in 2004. We used some linen like fabric that we found in the reduced bin at Joanne's. I think it cost about 5 bucks. We used the tree for other functions( xmas, covered in wrapping paper).

We made this tree out of double layers of cardboard and duct tape. We used giant appliance boxes. It cost almost nothing to make this.

gallery_25969_665_1106541907.jpg

For future cupcakes, I switched to the foil liners as well. Less mess.

• 1 year later...

Hello

I have been asked by a friend to make a wedding cake for 300. She would like to have a Cupcake Wedding Cake. I have have been looking into cupcake display stands. They seem to be pricey, particularly for their one-time use....approx $60 for a 6 tier stand that will display about 150 cupcakes. I was wondering if there is a way to constuct a display stand out of raw materials. It seems like the commercially available display stands are made out of plastic discs and columns. Has anyone tried hot glue-gunning these materials to form something that functions like a stand...is this stable construction? I was wondering if there are other creative and aesthetically pleasing ways that one could choose to display 300 cupcakes. Thanks!

Edited by ChocoGrok (log)

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

- e e cummings

I love cupcakes for weddings! I have collected various ideas, see these pics which might give you some ideas. (NB: not my work).

You could fit quite a few cupcakes onto the actual cake table, as in one of the pics.

You could make your own stand using foam core board, hot glue gun, and lengths of piping from a hardware store, or styrofoam cake dummy circles, as separators.

Edited by gfron1 (log)
"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

Cupcake cuddlers are these real cool little 'dresses' for cupcakes. They come in all kinds of designs. www.cupcakecuddlers.com - that is one link but her site is under construction. There's another site that has these amazing like stencil cut stunnericious cupcake cuddlers. I have a call in to my cake-buddies to help me find it. brb

Here is the link.

http://www.paperorchidstationery.com/modul....php/nav_id/775

Are these not to die for beautiful?

Edited to say, Cake-Buddies to the rescue! My friend Joy had the link.

Very pretty!!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Wow! Fabrics, ribbons, styrofoam of different sizes and shapes….this just opens up a whole new art project…and a really big challenge for my floppy decision-making skills :biggrin: . Thanks for the pix, calipoutine and lorinda. I really like the use of thin columns that is shown in one of the photographs; however, I am uncertain about construction…particularly the stability. I am concerned that one of the legs might buckle or slip from under the plate, creating a cupcake avalanche. I’m thinking this would be the case for columns vs. wider styrofoam drums since there is less surface area glued to the platform. Is there a reliable glue/ bonding agent someone could suggest? Is there a trick to getting all the columns to be exactly equal in length…I am trying to avoid a tilted platform caused by a slightly longer leg? Is there way to ensure that the tops of the columns are completely flat so they are flush with the platform when glued?

I like the idea of using light-weight foam core boards; however, I am wondering if will they be sturdy enough to support the large number of cupcakes (i.e. 300)? I have this nightmare of the platforms warping under the collective corpulence of many richly-dressed cupcakes….then creaking, teetering, and snap!...the tower sinks like the titanic. :shock:

K8…love the concept of a cupcake cuddler. I was wondering if you had the link to the stenciled stunnericious ones?

Also, I'm thinking about making a ginormous cupcake as the cake topper. Much like this:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/547901.do

However, I am wondering if there is a DIY way to make this without the mold? Maybe use a very large paper coffee filter (like the ones a Dunkin Donuts store would use)? Dunno if this is feasible. Would the filter retain the ridges when the cake batter is poured in? Will the "cake" bake evenly with so much volume? It seems that there is a reason why bundt cakes and angel food cakes have the hole in the center, yes?

- e e cummings

Here is the link.

http://www.paperorchidstationery.com/modul....php/nav_id/775

Are these not to die for beautiful?

Edited to say, Cake-Buddies to the rescue! My friend Joy had the link.

Very pretty!!

Nice! I've been ogling these:

http://fancyflours.wordpress.com/2007/03/2...pcake-wrappers/

For someone who can afford to spend $400 on wrappers :biggrin:

- e e cummings

Also, I'm thinking about making a ginormous cupcake as the cake topper.  Much like this:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/547901.do

However, I am wondering if there is a DIY way to make this without the mold?  Maybe use a very large paper coffee filter (like the ones a Dunkin Donuts store would use)?  Dunno if this is feasible.  Would the filter retain the ridges when the cake batter is poured in?  Will the "cake" bake evenly with so much volume?  It seems that there is a reason why bundt cakes and angel food cakes have the hole in the center, yes?

Here's a link http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...dpost&p=1134843 to two large cupcakes that lapasterie made for a birthday. You could PM her to ask how she went about making them. I'm guessing you could use a 6" springform for the bottom and a pyrex bowl for the top.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I would use a pan the correct size and just use the decor to make it look fluted. You don't have to worry about the cake itself. Like just striping the outsides with a plain tip will do it.

The flutes you might want to bake in there will not survive the icing anyway.

Know what I mean?

Or just sculpt a cake. Like I'd bake for example a 6" and top it with an 8". Just sculpt the sides to correspond. Maybe flip it over to do the carving easier. Something like that. Or even a 5" and a 6" or something.

You could also use fondant strips to imitate the flutes.

K8, I am looking for rounded foam core boards. Can you recommend a source? Art supply stores or home improvement stores? Also, would stuff advertised as "cake drums" work? They are 1/2 in thick vs. the 3/16 in foam cores I've been seeing. Thanks!

- e e cummings

K8, I am looking for rounded foam core boards.  Can you recommend a source?  Art supply stores or home improvement stores?  Also, would stuff advertised as "cake drums" work?  They are 1/2 in thick vs. the 3/16 in foam cores I've been seeing.  Thanks!

I cut my own foamcore boards. Cake drums are paper wrapped and are great. The edges are not smooth you can see the paper folded over but they are made to present cakes on so they are fine.

I have no trouble making things super secure. I err on the side of real stable. For example the cake I'm working on right now is just a 4 inch tall 8x12. I have it on only two cardboards. I have two bamboo skewers within one of the boards. Nothing is gonna crack. Everything is very stable.

You can get thicker foam core too. Half inch I think.

I’m thinking this would be the case for columns vs. wider styrofoam drums since there is less surface area glued to the platform. Is there a reliable glue/ bonding agent someone could suggest?  Is there a trick to getting all the columns to be exactly equal in length…I am trying to avoid a tilted platform caused by a slightly longer leg?  Is there way to ensure that the tops of the columns are completely flat so they are flush with the platform when glued?

Re: getting columns to be exactly equal - I would measure (perhaps with a bit lf leeway), cut, then line then up next to each other, and sand off any that were a bit long. (Similiar to when you cut dowels for tiered cakes, which are required to be even in length).

To ensure tops of columns completely flat, put the sheet of foam core on top and use a spirit level to ensure it is level.

Check out these stands which may assist in construction ideas; the description says they are constructed using threaded aluminum rods. If the rods you end up using are not threaded or screwed onto the other parts, I would go with a wider styro separator, or use say 4 thin columns evenly spaced, between each tier.

Hot glue is very strong, with the added bonus you don't have to wait for it to dry. For styro/foam core, I would definitely go with hot glue.

"I'll just die if I don't get this recipe."

Thanks K8 and lorinda!

Also, this is a littlle off topic, but I also have the task of filling these cupcake liners with something delish...and something that freezes/thaws well and will hold its own in warm weather. I was wondering what the winners are for wedding cake and frosting recipes. The bride would like one set of chocolate-based cupcakes and another set of vanilla-based cupcakes. I am given creative leeway with flavorings after that. I tried searching for a thread on this topic (i.e. favorite wedding cupcake recipes) but it's being evasive. :hmmm: I am thinking about using Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Cherry cupcake recipe, as mentioned in this thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...4778&hl=cupcake

but I have no idea if the recipe freezes well. Also, I would like to replace the ganache with a fluffier frosting that is pipeable and stores well. Any suggestions?

Edited by ChocoGrok (log)

- e e cummings

I am in love with Trish aka "Cupcake Momma" at Flickr. Cupcake Momma has some of the most interesting cupcakes around. Lately she is showing tiered cake stands she is using for displays. Check her out.

Also as far as cake boards, I use the wilton boards. Glue a few together with hot glue and cover them with a foil or fabric that matches the theme. There are professional suppliers we use, but you have to buy in quantities of 50 or more so that may not be an option for you.

The Nigella cupcakes sound good however, once a cherry is frozen, it kind of loses it's strength and turns to mush pretty quickly. You may want to go a different route. (IMO) However, your ganache can be fluffy, just whip it more when you are ready to use it. It should also have a higher ratio of cream to chocolate. Not to continue to send you other places than eGullet, but Cupcake Bakeshop has some amazing recipes. She is formally trained at the CIA and has tested her recipes well. She'll answer an email as far as freezing etc too. I have enjoyed Cheryl's work for years.

Good luck with your task! :smile:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Not to continue to send you other places than eGullet, but Cupcake Bakeshop has some amazing recipes. She is formally trained at the CIA and has tested her recipes well. She'll answer an email as far as freezing etc too. I have enjoyed Cheryl's work for years.

Good luck with your task! :smile:

Thanks! I've been a big fan of the Chocklit site. I read her recipes when I get hungry. She does awesome work

- e e cummings