• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beaujolais Nouveau Days

Rich Pawlak

Great overview article HERE in the NYT today about the various BN celebrations planned around the country for November 16, and the paragraphs about the DC celebration make me wistful for my days there in the 80s , when the day was a huge city-wide party. Sadly, Philly has almost no BN celebrations anymore, unless anyone knows of any that have slipped by my attention.

Are there any other celebrations around the country that the NYT missed?

As the article states "it's not great wne, but it's a great excuse for a party."

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

In the '60s and '70s Beaujolais was a good light wine. Somewhere along the way the US started to get water for Nouveau Beaujolais. The Chicago area market is one of the best in the country and I have given up on NB and B because of what is available.-Dick

It's a shame really that Beaujolais nouveau has given the whole of Beaujolais a bad reputation. Beaujolais and Beaujolais nouveau are very differnent wines. Try something from one of the AOC regions like Chénas, Morgon, Chiroubles, Fleurie, Moulin à Vent, Brouilly. I love Foillard's Cote du Py Morgon or Christian Bernard's wines from Fleurie. Eric Janin, Marcel LaPierre and Thivin are others.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I agree with Felice. I've had many enjoyable Beaujolais wines over the years, medium bodied and fruity, pairs well with a lot of different foods.

I have never understood the BN thing except as a way to hawk crappy wine. It does succed in getting some people who don't normally drink or buy wine to try it but you'd think they'd want to showcase a better product to potential new customers.

Happy wine year to all,

I am doing just fine with the fruity, easy to drink, smooth Beaujolais Nouveau by Albert Bichot.

It seems less acidic this year and somehow smoother.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Helen and I are in Nice right now and have tasted 12 different Beaujolais Nouveau this evening. My favourite is the Joesph Drouhnin Villages then a bottling for the Monoprix hypermaket chain.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Nice

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

God, what an awesome experience that all must be.

I picked up two bottles of the stuff last night, the Debeouf bottling, and a new one to me, Domaine de La Madone, from Jean Bererd et Fils. I found the Debeouf to have a great nose, all cherries and strawberries and some vegetal aromas, but the initial sip was very earthy and flinty. After about 20 minutes it was much more fruit forward and silky on the finish. The Bererd was similar, less of a fruity nose, but with that same rough initial sip, and a less smooth finish than the Debeouf. Still and all, a good pizza wine on a horribly rainy Thursday night.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

My favorite wine shop in Boston, Federal Wine and Spirits, has an appropriately informal approach to Nouveau Beaujolais Their tasting begins at 8 am with bagels and cream cheese. Though I've been to many of their evening wine tastings, yesterday was my first breakfast tasting. Great fun. I'm sipping one of their offerings as I type this, and it isn't "crappy" at all, though hardly a serious wine. While I agree with everyone about the better wines from the region, it's still a nice annual ritual.