• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails in Chicago?

bolognium

I was just having this conversation with industry friends yesterday. Unfortunately, the cocktail culture in Chicago isn't nearly as mature as it is in New York, San Francisco or even Atlanta. However, there are a few places where the bartenders recognize that customers want more than a glass of flavored vodka.

Though better known for their beers, Clark Street Ale House, just south of Chicago on Clark St is one of my first stops. They're one of the few places where you can get a real ti punch.

The Peninsula Hotel is on the other end of the spectrum, the surroundings are very impressive and the bar staff is knowledgable.

If you're looking for the best selection of whisky, and other spirits, as well as the best selection of beers in the area you need to go to Delilah's on Lincoln Ave. In addition to the assortment of spirits behind the bar, the clientele is almost as entertaining. And if you smoke you'll feel right at home at Delilah's.

The Intercontintental Hotel is also recommended, the Beverage Manager could be considered a spirits geek, if you know what I mean.

There are other places to enjoy good cocktails just north of the downtown area and I'm sure the next post will be even more enlightening.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

...Clark Street Ale House, just south of Chicago on Clark St is one of my first stops. They're one of the few places where you can get a real ti punch.

The Peninsula Hotel is on the other end of the spectrum, the surroundings are very impressive and the bar staff is knowledgable.

If you're looking for the best selection of whisky, and other spirits, as well as the best selection of beers in the area you need to go to Delilah's on Lincoln Ave. In addition to the assortment of spirits behind the bar, the clientele is almost as entertaining. And if you smoke you'll feel right at home at Delilah's.

The Intercontintental Hotel is also recommended, the Beverage Manager could be considered a spirits geek....

Thanks for the update to this post, Ed. I had no idea a real Ti Punch could be had in Chicago.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

I just went to Matchbox, just south of Chicago on Milwaukee and I'd have to add Matchbox to the list of bars that take real pride in their cocktails. The first bottle I saw when I walked in the door was Germain Robin brandy. Yeah, they have too many Stoli flavors but that's the standard in this city. But if you're looking for good gin, whisky, rum or real vodka you won't be disappointed.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

If I could piggy-back on this thread with a related question:

Can anyone recommend somewhere that both has good drink selections and is cigar-friendly?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.