• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Special / unusual cake pans

beans

I've seen in one of the old cookbooks I've inherited from my dear grandmother a presentation suggestion for some sort of bread being baked in a small, clay flower pot. Thought about that for the holiday baskets I put together for friends, family and coworkers.... (Is July too early to start thinking about holidays?! :rolleyes: )

And while browsing Surly Table yesterday I found PaniMold poplar wood "pans."

Anyone have experience with these?

I use those all the time (and at Christmas we sold sooo many loaf cakes). I order them by the case from JB Prince. I do bake with the pans on doubled sheet pans for better heat distribution.

I purchased six of the 4-1/2 x 4 x 2-3/4 from Sur La Table for $8.95.

I have found the six pack of the slightly longer/skinnier/shorter 5-1/8 x 3-3/4 x 2 for $3.50!

Oddly, I've found the ones I purchased from SLT on Amazon for $10.95.

That is the first time I've ever found something from Surly Table cheaper than most of the other places selling the same product...

Perhaps JB Prince will have a change of heart on their willingness to order these closer to the holiday season and I can try what would seem to be the most economical route of purchasing by the case. :hmmm:

Either that or Panibois will get back to me on other resources to order their product. I was really excited to be able to request samples from them. If they send some to the restaurant, I'll post back about the goodies. :smile:

I believe that Technobake Systems in New Jersey is a distributor for this

product. They're at 609/466-4588. You can order them with your

logo on the wood for larger quantities. I was looking at the round wooden tart rings from this company. Anyone worked with these?

Edited by Matsu (log)

• 2 years later...

According to this site they're also called obsttortenform and there's photos for any one wondering what they look like.

http://www.foodsubs.com/EqBake.html

This one is the daisy ann.

http://design.hgtv.com/kitchen/Product_detail.aspx?id=369

Edited by duckduck (log)

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."