• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch at Feenie's

Paul B

Some good friends are taking us to brunch at Feenie's on Sunday. Has anyone been? If so, is it a buffet (so we can chow down on a bit of everything) or do we order? And if the latter, any suggestions?

Paul B

Rob Feenie and Buffet in the same sentence. Heavens. Portions are descent though, so you won't leave hungry. Try sharing a bit so you can sample a few things. :o)

Smoked salmon blinis $16

with poached eggs, butter sauce, salmon caviar and shaved asparagus

Wild mushroom & goat cheddar omelette $12

served with balsamic salad and roasted tomato

Scrambled egg on a rosti potato $12

with wilted spinach and pancetta crisp

Soft boiled egg and duck confit $16

on a root vegetable & green bean salad tossed in pecan vinaigrette

Souffled apple pancake $9

with warmed cinnamon maple syrup

Brioche french toast $10

with candied pecans, whiskey maple syrup and sour cream mousse

Homemade granola $7

with mango, papaya, yogurt and lavender honey

Ham benny $12

served on a croissant with hollandaise sauce

Feenie’s family breakfast $12

two eggs, ham, bacon, sausage, roasted potatoes and toast

Breakfast poutine $9

hand cut fries, with lardons, soft poached egg, cheese curds and gravy

Short Rib Sandwich $15

Braised short rib meat with caramelized onions, swiss cheese, and grainy mustard on an olive oil bun

Smoothie of the day $5

Ask your server

Gastronomista

Went to Feenie's for that Sunday brunch. Our great friends The Don and J-Babe treated us. It was the first time I had been to Feenie's and I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of pretension. The Iron Chef himself was walking around talking to a few people.

I had the lobster poutine. Not the lightest thing on the menu, but I couldn't resist. It was very good, though the lobster did get a bit lost in the mix. My wife and J-Babe both had the Cranke Madam (spelling?) and The Don had the shortrib sandwich. All very good. We had a cheese plate and ordered the toffee cake and the brownie to share. The toffee cake was tremendous. Throw in two bottles of sparking wine mixed with orange juice and you have some happy, very stuffed, campers.

I do have two beefs with the place. First of all, our table was wobbly. A small thing, I know, but incredibly annoying. And second, the staff had trouble getting us the correct menus. The menus are cardboard inserts into a leatherette folder, and all of us got different combinations of in our folders. Great confusion.

Still, a major brunch. I've promised my boys I'll take them there for over the holidays.

Paul B

I would hazard a guess that it's a Croque Madame :smile:

You hazard right, Madame.

And I dare say it's superior to a Croque de merd!

Memo - croque pot makes for a light head

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I do have two beefs with the place.  First of all, our table was wobbly.  A small thing, I know, but incredibly annoying.  And second, the staff had trouble getting us the correct menus.  The menus are cardboard inserts into a leatherette folder, and all of us got different combinations of in our folders.  Great confusion.

As a server, it is a major pet peeve of mine, both as an employee and as a guest.

It also happens to be the easiest problem to solve, with either a wooden or plastic shim or, as an absolute last resort, a piece of cardboard or book of matches. I will never eat at a wobbly table :angry:

Derek