• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Quandry of Pinto Beans

Holly Moore

I was recently called upon to prepare my World Famous, Prize Winning Chili. I got as far as soaking and tenderizing 4 pounds of pinto beans when the ungrateful louts canceled the event.

I could go ahead and prepare my World Famous, Prizing Winning Chili and freeze what can not be eaten within a reason period of time, but I'm not sure my World Famous Prize Winning Chili would remain World Famous or Prize Winning if I chose that route.

I could just toss the pinto beans, but that doesn't seem the eGullet way.

I could freeze the pinto beans. Has anyone done this. Is this the best way to preserve them until I am next called upon to prepare my World Famous, Prize Winning Chili?

Or what else can someone do with a stockpot 2/3 full of pinto beans.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Freeze them until you are called upon to prepare your World Famous, Prize Winning Chili.

I regularly freeze reconstituted or cooked beans and they're none the worse for it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

If you have all of the ingredients and freezer space, make the World Famous Prize Winning Chili, freeze it in batches, and on evenings when you come home from work too tired to boil water, you can have a wonderful meal.

Or make a huge batch of refried beans and then have a nacho party, or make a spicy rice with chorizo and beans.

By the way do you share your Award Winning recipe?

Anyone who knows beans about chili knows you don't put beans in chili.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Anyone who knows beans about chili knows you don't put beans in chili.

My World Famous, Award Winning Chili, first served in 1979 at Holly Moore's Upstairs Cafe and so popular that customers would climb the steps three at a time in fear we would run out, is based on the original Chasen's recipe, but craftfully embellished.

I like chili with beans.

I like chili without beans.

But Chasen's used beans, so we used beans. Besides, it kept the food cost down.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter