• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White chocolate decorations

LittleIsland

I practiced more last night and things went better if not as well as I would like. I was working in the kitchen rather than the basement so the temperature was probably 72F rather than 68F, so I had to place the cutting board with the spread chocolate in the fridge for a couple minutes to get it setting. That wasn't the best way to handle chocolate.

However the multiple pass back and forth spreading technique in the video did help as well as waiting for the chocolate to set some before running the comb through. I really need a square tooth comb so I'm going to look at cake shops or order one online. I think it's time to get a piece of marble to work on as well. Does anyone have suggestions as to minimum desired dimensions and the best way to get it at a fair price?

The use of a chef's knife for the carving worked better than my scraper and making shavings from a non-combed spread worked pretty well.

david, while not ideal, i successfully used a glass table top to make a ton of chocolate cigarettes. probably much cheaper than getting a slab of marble to start off with. but you don't have to use marble either, you can use granite or other stone counter material as well. probably best if it is sealed.

good luck with your experimentation.

Talk to a granite and marble place and ask them for a sink cutout. Don't bother to get them to polish the sides, that's expensive. I think the most I've ever paid for one is about $20, often less.