• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver, and Vancouver Island BC best dining

Judith Gebhart

We have been die hard supporters of both Vancouver restaurants and VI's various dining locations for the last 6 years or more. Our favorites have been for Vancouver, BC Tojo, Vij, and Rain City Grill. We used to like Lumiere but last visit was profoundly disappointing. C was decent but not memorable. Reading eGullet's posts offer high expectations for West. What about the First Nation's restaurant and it's fare? Can eGulleteers offer recent dining reports about our old favorites and those we haven't sampled? Your input is greatly appreciated. We visit Vancouver in February, 2007. Vancouver Island's best eating spots are varied. We want to hear about those spots in the north above Victoria even extending to Tofino. Any highly praised restauarants in these regions would be most welcome. Judith Gebhart

Rare, Cru and West are solid choices. In terms of first nations, I think immediately of the Liliget Feast House, tho' have never been there myself and cannot comment on the quality/experience.

If you are going as far noth(west) as Tofino, the Wickaninnish Inn's dining room is a must, and in the Victoria area, the Sooke Harbour House is highly receommended.

Edited to add a disclaimer: I work with Rare, Cru and West. I do not work with Liliget, the Wick, or Sooke Harbour.

Edited by lauraf (log)

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Rare, Cru and West are solid choices.  In terms of first nations, I think immediately of the Liliget Feast House, tho' have never been there myself and cannot comment on the quality/experience.

If you are going as far noth(west) as Tofino, the Wickaninnish Inn's dining room is a must, and in the Victoria area, the Sooke Harbour House is highly receommended.

Edited to add a disclaimer: I work with Rare, Cru and West.  I do not work with Liliget, the Wick, or Sooke Harbour.

Edited by Judith Gebhart (log)

Rare, Cru and West are solid choices.  In terms of first nations, I think immediately of the Liliget Feast House, tho' have never been there myself and cannot comment on the quality/experience.

Edited to add a disclaimer: I work with Rare, Cru and West.  I do not work with Liliget, the Wick, or Sooke Harbour.

We both appreciate the eGullet responses for this most beloved area of the world which we have always found to be enriching and so satisfying. We are repeated supporters of Wickaninnish (sp) and Sooke Harbour. We will revisit Wickaninnish again in 2007 and Tofino. We hope that younger, more assertive and informed cooks can expand on VI's existing fine dining. Are there youthful, daring chefs who can challenge the diner and compete with the best of what is available on VI?

I would so welcome detailed information about Rare, Cru, and Liliget Feast House in Vancouver. We definitely want to learn more about our dining options there. Is anyone supportive of Tojo? Thanks for whatever input you can provide. Judith Gebhart

Here are reviews of Rare and Cru excerpted from the 2007 Vancouver Magazine's Eating & Drinking Guide:

Rare

In the old Bis Moreno space on Hornby across from the legendary Il Giardino, Tim Keller and chef Brian Fowke have fought the rap of a cursed location with a more inviting room and cooking as mature as it is young. In tapping chef de cuisine Quang Dang (ex sous at West) to run the small, lab-like kitchen, they've caught a rising star, one of the most talented young chefs in the province. The menus constantly change to reflect the best of what's locally available. Exquisite start: Seared weathervane scallops and savoury clams tide-pooled in fennel broth, then suckling pig with long pepper consommé and sous vide spot prawns. Or let them do the driving for the bargain $65 six-course tasting menu. The wine list is well priced and dotted with rare labels, the service engaging. 1355 Hornby St.. 604-669-1256. $$$

Cru

Experienced hands Mark Taylor and Dana Reinhardt capture the elements of informal but informed regional dining (combo small plates or entrée-size mains) in this sleekly designed, warm room with an intelligent wine list-see headings like "crisp," "mellow," "luscious" and "juicy." Reinhardt tandems new chef de cuisine John Burke, turning out duck confit and frisée salad with a classic warm bacon dressing and plush bowls of steamed mussels. A Moroccan-inspired dish of lamb pushes further flavours. Desserts include an uplifting lemon and basil tart. 1459 W. Broadway, South Granville, 604-677-4111. $$$

Tojo's is still widely considered the best (mmm, maybe I mean most prestigious) sushi restaurant in Vancouver - and it is fab. However, it is pricey, and the general quality of many other sushi restaurants in town is approaching if not equalling that of Tojo's, in my opinion. Keep in mind, I'm not a sushi expert - I just appreciate incredibly fresh product and choices beyond the ubiquitous Cali roll. Blue Water Cafe in Yaletown is a frequent winner of best sushi/seafood by many polls; I also enjoy Shijo in Kitsilano for its sashimi and robata grill offerings.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Laura

edited: horrid spelling

Edited by lauraf (log)

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

has anyone been to paprika bistro in victoria? i've been trying to find time to get over to the island just to eat there.

(i found out the hard way the last time i was there that they close on mondays :sad: )

here's the website: http://www.paprika-bistro.com/

this may be redundant information, but george szasz of paprika bistro is the son and i believe grandson of the proprietors of the fabulous hungarian restaurant, appropriately named, szasz on granville street back in the day (former occupant of the space that west currently resides in--am i right?).

if paprika is even half as good as szasz was, that's doing pretty good already. mmm...i can't wait!

EDIT:

Vancouver Island's best eating spots are varied. We want to hear about those spots in the north above Victoria even extending to Tofino. Any highly praised restauarants in these regions would be most welcome. Judith Gebhart

almost forgot to mention la pommeraie at merridale ciderworks in cobble hill. i went there sometime in the summer for a beautiful sunday brunch. the food focuses on fresh local, and when possible, organic ingredients. the surroundings are so scenic and serene supplemented by the fact that the staff treated us like family (the good kind of family)...you'll never want to leave.

honourary mentions also go to the dining room at the aerie resort for high-end formal dining, and the malahat mountain inn for a more casual fare. both are wonderful places from what i remember.

have a great trip to BC judith!

Edited by tinyhandful (log)

You might want to check out the Vancouver Island Thread or this thread on what lies between Victorian and Nanaimo.

I'm a big fan of the Szazz's ... his mastery of charcuterie is nothing short of amazing.

A.

Dear All Vancouver eGullet members who have so expertly responded to my inquiries for our February, 2007 visit. I received both PM responses and those that are from various eGullet members; all of whom who have anticipated and answered so many of our concerns for our 2007 visit. We are both grateful for your excellent, culinary suggestions whatever they may be. Like the last listing which promoted Szazz's charcuterie's excellence. All of your various responses have been so informative. We are so grateful to learn so much about Vancouver's and VI's culinary scene. Thank you all, so much. I am impressed and humbled. Judith Gebhart