• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who mentioned casual Mexican by "schooled" chef?

thereuare

I remember reading a post by somebody here (a regular i think) that mentioned a very good mexican place that seemed casual (perhaps even take-out) that had a "schooled" chef from some fancy schmanzy culinary school, but i'm not well versed in that sort of thing to recognize or remember the name. It was in the North Bergen/West New York area.

I tried to search using key words, but couldn't find what i was looking for. Does anybody remember or perhaps was the original poster?

Thanks.

I confess, it was me.

Five Burro Tacos in North Bergen (9266 Kennedy Boulevard) is (or was) owned by a CIA grad who used to cook in NYC.

I assume they are still open but haven't been there in quite a while (a bit of a drive from Montclair, unfortunately). Their phone number is 201-453-8838.

If you go, let us know how it was.

Definitely post if you like it, thereuare. I've got my new fave Mexican place now in Bogota, but North Bergen isn't that far either...

Hopefully the parking's okay too...

Odd... on Mapquest it looks like its right near the White Castle. jsibley... is it? That would make it REALLY close for me. Mabe I'll drive over and take a look on the weekend.

But parking is a bear there if you aren't in the White Castle lot or that diner next door, isn't it?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

As i just added to the Northern NJ Mexican Thread:

I also tried stopping by Five Burro Tacos on the way home (mentioned in a prior, but active, thread), but i think it's no longer there, as the number has been disconnected and after circling the block once, the location where the address seems to have been is now a fenced in vacant lot, so it apeared as if the building has been torn down (if i was looking in the right place).

If i'm wrong, somebody please correct me and give me better directions.

I will also take this space to reiterate my rave about Mission Burritos, also just mentioned in the Northern NJ Mexica thread (i'm hoping it gets tried soon, and makes it to a thread of its own).

I will also take this space to reiterate my rave about Mission Burritos, also just mentioned in the Northern NJ Mexica thread (i'm hoping it gets tried soon, and makes it to a thread of its own).

I must confess... I'm interested. However, I'll also confess that I'm not a huge fan of Hoboken so I'm rarely there unless for some reason I have to take the train rather than drive into the city. So the VERY NEXT time I happen to be in Hoboken I'll have to try the food at... La Isla.

But the time after THAT, I'll head over to Mission Burritos. :wink: