• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Porchetta in Brooklyn

robert40

"Please join us for our Second Pork & Beer Night

This Sunday, January 21, 2007

Kentucky Style Barbecue!!!

1st Course: Pulled pork sliders with housemade pickle salad

2nd Course: Smokey BBQ pork ribs & Buttermilk battered fried chicken

Brussel sprout slaw, Hush puppies, Bacon studded Winter greens & Corn bread

3rd Course: Key lime pie & Banana bread pudding

$45 per Person"

• 2 months later...

According to Eater.com Jason Neroni and most of his staff have left the NYT one-star restaurant due to "irreconcilable differences."

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That's unfortunate. I was going to go to Porchetta next week. I am curious to see who is taking over the helm there.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

There was an interview in the Village Voice herewith details on the split.

Neroni elaborated on what he called "irreconcilable differences," with owner Marco Rivero. According to the chef, Rivero wanted to readdress the menu, adding sandwiches, lowering the price-point, and opening for lunch. Neroni was in favor of none of those changes.

More details in the full story.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

There was an interview in the Village Voice herewith details on the split.
Neroni elaborated on what he called "irreconcilable differences," with owner Marco Rivero. According to the chef, Rivero wanted to readdress the menu, adding sandwiches, lowering the price-point, and opening for lunch. Neroni was in favor of none of those changes.

More details in the full story.

From that article:

"I don't agree with his business practices," Neroni said. "It's a great location, and if they can get someone good in there, maybe they'll do well. I have no ill will against Porchetta, and I wish them the best, but I don't think he really knows what he wants. I know what I want."

This quote reflects Neroni's real reasons a little better. That is simply not what he wanted to do so he left. It makes sense to me and Neroni should get credit for sticking to his vision. Hopefully, for his sake, his vision is the right one for him.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

This has become interesting. From the same link:

We'd like to clarify the circumstances under which Jason Neroni's relationship with Porchetta has ended. Jason was fired for unauthorized misappropriation of funds from the business. A warrant is currently out for his arrest.

It seems someone is in serious trouble here. Either Neroni if the allegations are true or Porchetta owner, Marco Rivero for libel, I would suspect, if not true. I'm sure that this is not the last of this story.

Twitter - @docsconz

I don't have the foggiest clue who's telling the truth nor do I care, but I laughed when I saw Neroni's assertion that he was fired for refusing to add sandwiches to the menu or serving lunch.

that's just nonsensical.

I was always a believer that any press helps business somewhat, but at this point I think nothing good will come out of this latest round for either party.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I hate it when laundry is washed in public. People should understand that underwear is private.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Ouch, indeed.

To add some substance to an open-ended phrase used by Neroni - the "irreconcilable differences" here were those between the owner of a small business in a highly competitive industry, seeking to provide a livelihood to his employees, a pleasurable dining experience to his customers, and a living for himself and his family, on the one hand, and a self-absorbed chef with very little interest in the long term viability of the business, on the other.

Misappropriation of funds, adding sandwiches to the menu...it's all about the same, isn't it?

I agree, John - this kind of drama doesn't draw people into the restaurant even as it raises its profile.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

An update, courtesy of Gawker:

obviously i was shocked to come home from the time out awards last night to find out that not only was i not the best new chef in new york (congratulations mike anthony!), but i was also a wanted criminal. as of this morning, at least i can say that one of those statements is not true. after speaking with the police from several precincts and my lawyer, i can say that there is no warrant out for my arrest, nor is there any complaint currently filed against me by marco rivero. more importantly, i want to say that the accusations made against me by mr. rivero are ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

An update, courtesy of Gawker:
obviously i was shocked to come home from the time out awards last night to find out that not only was i not the best new chef in new york (congratulations mike anthony!), but i was also a wanted criminal. as of this morning, at least i can say that one of those statements is not true. after speaking with the police from several precincts and my lawyer, i can say that there is no warrant out for my arrest, nor is there any complaint currently filed against me by marco rivero. more importantly, i want to say that the accusations made against me by mr. rivero are ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE.

So which is it? Did Eater make it up? Did they fabricate Rivero's quotes? Gawker? It's all really a shame.

Twitter - @docsconz

I would suggest that there's not much point in speculating on this (obviously Eater has quoted Rivera's email correctly...what we don't and won't know is who is telling the truth -- Rivera or Neroni or neither)

furthermore, we will never know the truth. this will end the way it always does: eventually, both parties will calm down and realize that it is in their mutual best interest to keep their respective mouths shut. both will continue to relate their respective stories in private...but not in a public forum.

if someone says "there is a warrant out" - in public - that's very serious stuff. since (according to Gawker) there seems to be no warrant out, it's supremely stupid, shortsighted and hurtful - and will come back to bite the owner... good luck finding a chef

Alcohol is a misunderstood vitamin.

P.G. Wodehouse

I would suggest that there's not much point in speculating on this (obviously Eater has quoted Rivera's email correctly...what we don't and won't know is who is telling the truth -- Rivera or Neroni or neither)

furthermore, we will never know the truth.  this will end the way it always does: eventually, both parties will calm down and realize that it is in their mutual best interest to keep their respective mouths shut.  both will continue to relate their respective stories in private...but not in a public forum.

I wasn't looking for actual answers. Nathan, you are right that we will likely not get the whole story unless charges really are being pressed and it winds up in court. Even then we will not likely get the whole story. My questions were really to emphasize the inconsistencies. I think it very unlikely that either Eater or Gawker made anything up even though the stories are in direct contradiction to each other. Divorce is generally messy. This appears to not be an exception.

Twitter - @docsconz

if someone says "there is a warrant out" - in public - that's very serious stuff. since (according to Gawker) there seems to be no warrant out, it's supremely stupid, shortsighted and hurtful - and will come back to bite the owner... good luck finding a chef

gawker didn't say there wasn't a warrant...Neroni did.

and calling up police precincts won't necessarily track down a bench warrant..etc. as well, a layperson may say "warrant" when they really mean an action for conversion...etc.

ah..I'll shut up now. let's just say that none of us is in a position to confirm...either side of this story.

to clarify: as far as I can see, neither of Gawker or Eater have made any assertions in this matter. they have simply published the respective claims of Neroni and Rivera. neither of Gawker or Eater has purported to have performed any fact-checking whatsoever (they'd be fools to do so).

Edited by Nathan (log)

oops. Gawker did make a phone call to a precinct and then stated that there was no warrant.

imo, it was a mistake for Gawker to phrase it that way...the inexperience of the blogger v. the way a newspaper would have written it.

Rivera has rebutted on Eater. I imagine that this will go on for a round or two more and then people will get through to both of them and my prior prediction will hold.

Neither has OJ.

That would be funny if it wasnt childish.

Fact it's until there is concrete proof, the presumption of innocence is how things work in America.

The only thing funny in this whole sad story is that New York actually has crimes or should I say (alledged) crime labelled as "Petit Larceny".

Is that true or does gawker and eater mean "Petty Larceny"..... :huh:

Neither has OJ.

That would be funny if it wasnt childish.

Fact it's until there is concrete proof, the presumption of innocence is how things work in America.

The only thing funny in this whole sad story is that New York actually has crimes or should I say (alledged) crime labelled as "Petit Larceny".

Is that true or does gawker and eater mean "Petty Larceny"..... :huh:

They probably made an error.

A simple spelling mistake...like the one you just made....... :hmmm:

Definitions of alleged on the Web:

declared but not proved; "alleged abuses of housing benefits"- Wall Street Journal

alleged(a): doubtful or suspect; "these so-called experts are no help"

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn