• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Styrofoam Cups

srhcb

The following post may offend delicate sensibilities. Do not read if you don't like the word "burp". You've been warned.

When I drink coffee or tea from a styrofoam cup, I burp the taste of styrofoam for hours afterward. I find this extremely disturbing. Obviously the stuff is getting into my system somehow - and wants to get out. No more. No more styrofoam for me.

I don't have the burp phenomenon but distinctly dislike coffee or any other hot beverage from a styrofoam cup.

In order of preference my coffee intake comes from:

1) thick ceramic/porcelain cup

2) glass vessel

3) stainless steel vessel (shiny 18/10 grade beats all the other grades for this)

4) paper/cardboard

5) hard plastic

6) disposable molded plastic (maybe polystyrene? not sure what this stuff is)

7) styrofoam

In some if not most cases my preferences are probably not rational and may be based on inherent biases and subsconscious aesthetic considerations. But the aesthetic aspect is such an integral part of the experience that i can't imagine it any other way.

Then again - no matter how hectic my day has been or how much of a hurry I'm in, if I bring home carry-out food it always gets transferred to a ceramic plate or bowl and eaten with stainless flatware (or chopsticks). I detest eating from take-out containers and will eat from paper plates and drink from pastic cups only if I'm at a party or picnic where it's the only option.

• 3 months later...

They know me at the coffee bars I frequent...sometimes I take my own cup (be it stainless or thermosy - wow...a new word). I almost always pour my coffee into another container. I don't think it is a taste issue for me but rather a habit issue...I just like the mug experience.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

Yes, I can taste them. Depending on my mood or hormones, sometimes I like the alien plastic taste... sometimes I don't.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos