• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi Question

A friend from East Msia (we're at West Msia) just came back from S Korea. He couriered over to us some kimchi. Must have taken a day to reach us. Yesterday, it arrived in a plastic container. Inside that was 2 bloated plastic bags of kimchi, smelling very strongly. Anyway, we put the bags in the fridge and today it seems OK, no vile smell.

Is it safe to eat? :wink:

TIA!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

tepee--

the reason the bags were bloated is because the kim chi was releasing carbon dioxide. you'll notice it might taste a little bit 'sparkly' or carbonated.

refrigerate it, stir it every few days, and try not to let it become sentient and mount an insurrection in your fridge. :smile::biggrin::laugh:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

tepee--

the reason the bags were bloated is because the kim chi was releasing carbon dioxide. you'll notice it might taste a little bit 'sparkly' or carbonated.

refrigerate it, stir it every few days, and try not to let it become sentient and mount an insurrection in your fridge.  :smile:  :biggrin:  :laugh:

thats my favorite kind of kimchi, sparkly kimchi or refreshing kimchi

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

My fridge already has salted fish, belachan (fermented shrimp) and etc...well-packed, though; the more pungent food the merrier!

Tks. At least I know I won't die out of greed...hmm...maybe another time another food. :biggrin:

I love a good kimchi.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

my significant other always leaves her kimchi open on the counter for a day or so after she buys it to let the ferment get going.

it really is the most lovely snack, isn't it? crunchy, sour, hot, garlicky and pungent. i am sneezing, so when i get home i'm vigourously boiling some chicken broth, turning off the heat, and stirring in 1-2 cups of kim chi.

if i still get the cold--knock wood--at least i know i have done everything humanly possible to prevent it.

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen