• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ed Hamilton on TV?

jlo mein

I was watching TV late the other night and they were showing a rerun of Conan O'Brien when his guests were Lucy Liu (promoting Lucky Number Sleven), and John Lovitz (promoting The Benchwarmers). The last guest he had on the show was a beer expert, and he went about showing them different beers and such.

I was just curious if Ed had ever thought of doing such a show? I don't really know what exactly is involved...whether the show contacts the potential guests, or the guests contact the show. However, I think it would be good publicity for rum and perhaps would generate more traffic for the Ministry of Rum and Egullet forums.

btw if it comes up, yes I have listened to the Jason Perlow podcast where he does a show with Ed Hamilton.

Good idea. Several years ago there was a show exclusively for drinks on cable. I am pretty certain it was the Food TV channel and I can see the hosts' faces right in front of me but don't remember their names. It was a man/woman combo.

I liked the show -- episodes on wine, vodka, beer, and so on. They showed a bit of the manufacturing aspect, educated the viewer on different types, etc. I don't think it lasted that long.

Eric

Shows like Conan generally contact guests. Rum isn't as popular as beer and wine at this time, but that's changing. But I'm afraid I wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as Michael Jackson was on the rerun last week, did he forget to zip his fly after he got rid of the last of the beer he'd been drinking while he was waiting in the green room.

But after meeting the beer hunter on a couple of occasions, I can tell you that you saw the real Michael Jackson.

Maybe when my next book comes out there will be enough interest in rum to warrant a TV appearance in the US. I've made several appearances on TV in France, the islands and Germany but not much here in the US.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Wow you got that episode nailed down to a tee!

BTW in Canada we did have a show on Food Network about liquor. It was a male host travelling the world learning the different manufacturing processes and traditions. He did all sorts of spirits, wines, and beers. It was called The Thirsty Traveller.

Ed, you have another book coming out?

The Thirsty Traveler contacted me a few years ago and wanted me to appear when they did rum. But their whole rum story was going to be Jamaica and they wanted me to sail from the Eastern Caribbean to Jamaica so they could film me on my boat. But as any sailor will tell you, it's a long way from Jamaica back to the Eastern Caribbean, besides there's plenty rum in the other isands, and it varies more than the rum in Jamaica.

Yes, there is another book in the works, but like good rum patience is rewarded. Research is tough business and I won't repeat a bunch of press releases.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.