• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baghdad Cafe

Vancouver

I noticed a place I hadn't heard of before today on West Pender called Baghdad Cafe (430 West Pender - next to Cassis Bistro). With the lack of Turkish places in Vancouver I wonder if anyone has tried this place?

Cheers!

• 5 months later...

Managed a look @ the menu today-standard Middle Eastern fare and quite appealing-as is the interior of the Café.

Warmly done in dark reds, lots of fabric, staff well trained and gracious.

Will try to have lunch there later in the week. :cool:

It is really good. Never had Turkish food before this place, but now we go grab lunch there on a regular basis.

This cafe may be one of the smallest restaurants in town. There are about half a dozen tables, set very close to each other.

Made it to lunch-I must have been wearing sunglasses when I visited earlier-the wall I thought was fabric was brick and the restaurant is decorated in early bric-a brac, warm and comfortable.

Ended up ordering the Eggplant plate-something of a mixed bag taste wise.Deep fried Eggplant spears had little taste Yogurt/Garlic sauce notwithstanding-the oil needed changing-but the Bean Stew that accompanied it was outstanding. :wub:

I said earlier that it was standard Middle Eastern fare-that too was wrong and a person should check out the menu outside to see for them self.

The server-a girl of maybe 14 years-wasn't confident enough in her spoken English skills to answer why a place called Café Baghdad was serving Turkish food. :unsure:

Thanks for that Rona-there is an Iraqi Kurd community here has been for some time.

Also one knowledgeable student of history pointed this out "Sam,...maybe it serves Turkish food because the city was conquered by Turks twice in its history, and ruled by Ottoman Turks until Britain carved it all up after WWII. "