• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Bars in Vancouver

Cole Danehower

Perhaps the eGullet community would be willing to help?

I am writing a column for the magazine I co-publish (Northwest Palate, out of Portland but covering BC, WA, OR and ID) on cocktails and spirits. I am looking for recommendations of places in BC that have unusual themed cocktail menus that I might write about. I'm guessing Vancouver would be the center of focus here, but it could be Victoria or anywhere else (Kelowna?).

About one third of our editorial is BC-focused, and while I have lots of good cocktail menus to write about in Portland and Seattle, I need to get some more recommendations for BC. Salt is one place that has been suggested to me . . . any others that the local community thinks would be interesting?

Thanks for any advice you might offer!

I am writing a column for the magazine I co-publish (Northwest Palate, out of Portland but covering BC, WA, OR and ID) on cocktails and spirits. I am looking for recommendations of places in BC that have unusual themed cocktail menus that I might write about. I'm guessing Vancouver would be the center of focus here, but it could be Victoria or anywhere else (Kelowna?).

Northwest Palate currently has a contest to name the Vancouver Cocktail!

Memo - martinis are like breasts; one isn't enough and three are too many

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

A cocktail drinking night with me would include stops at:

The Ocean Club (also eat some mini-burgers to prepare tummy for lushy behavior), West (David's amazing), Figmint (at least I have one original thought), Nu, Chambar, George and just when you've about had it, more martinis at Delilah's during the Saturday Diva night. Try to keep up to me that evening.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

A big "Thank you!" to everyone for such great information on the local cocktail culture. It has been very helpful, and I will be checking into many of the places that are recommended. Of course, I need to sample the cocktails themselves, so more than one trip to Vancouver and vicinity is called for (oh, drat . . .).

Again, I really appreciate the willingness to help.

Come and see us at Gotham Steakhouse and Cocktail Bar. Great room, and tasty drinks. We are a contemporary steakhouse in a grand room that has a reputation for tender steaks, and stiff drinks. We also have a pianist tue. to sun., that really sets a good mood.

• 2 weeks later...

one vote for 1181 on davie street. drinks were incredibly creative and surprisingly reasonable. the real draw? the space itself--absolutely stunning. the owners of 1181 are also architects/interior designers. here's an article + pictures from canadianarchitect.com: click on me!

thank you to the staff at 1181...we had a wonderful time!