• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Daytrip from London.. need suggestions

Hello All,

I was considering going to Dover, as per another topic, but am now rethinking. I would go anywhere with up to 2 hour via train from London, and would most like a quaint type town with a nice pub, some good sights (a cute towncenter qualifies), and a restaurant.

I would love a great smaller restaurant with some 'heart' if possible. The type with a fireplace, and a robust woman / mother figure serving food whilst reciting proverbs....!

Any suggestions would be mich appreciated.

Regards, Joshua.

I still love Oxford, never run out of interesting walks and multiple choice of places to eat, some cosier than others. This time of year there probably aren't too many tourists but would recommend avoiding the modern shopping part of the city centre at any and all times.

Blowing my own trumpet but we are in a very quaint village in the heart of constable countryside 50 minutes from Liverpool Street Station + 10 minutes cab ride and we have four open fires. If you come Thursday, Friday, Saturday you can stock up in our fish (from Mersea on Fridays) & fruit & veg shop and village deli before heading back to the big smoke.

www.thesuninndedham.com

www.constablecountry.co.uk

bakerestates

I do like Ely (just north of Cambridge), and it's closer to what you seem to be looking for in a town than Cambridge/Oxford, both of which are big and bustly by my standards.

HOWever... I am not in a position to recommend a restaurant there! It looked like there were plenty when I visited a month or so ago.

Joshua,

My suggestion would be Rye in East Sussex. One of the old medieval Cinque Ports, the sea having receded like many moons ago like MobyP's hair. :biggrin: A very pleasant little town to visit of an afternoon and I think less than your stipulated 2 hours from London.

To eat what about the Landgate Bistro or the delightfully old fashioned Flushing Inn. The menu hasn't ever changed, but we used to love going there. Much more modern, but gaining a good reputation isthe Fish Cafe. We have enjoyed meals at all three of the above.

No fires that I can think of at any of those places, but if you head up to the top of the Mermaid Street then round the back of the Mermaid Inn, you'll find a cracking fireplace in front of which you can marinate yourself.

Cheers

B

I do like Ely (just north of Cambridge), and it's closer to what you seem to be looking for in a town than Cambridge/Oxford, both of which are big and bustly by my standards. 

HOWever... I am not in a position to recommend a restaurant there!  It looked like there were plenty when I visited a month or so ago.

If you want to head to Ely - try going on the second or forth Saturday of the month when the farmer's markets are there. It's quite a decent market too (much better than the Cambridge market). Along the River Ouse, Ely is a cathedral town, so there plenty to look at including a nice walk from the cathedral to the river. Along the river there are a few lovely places to eat - but not too many that I've eaten at so can't really recommend.

If you want to head into Cambridgeshire, I would suggest going to Granchester which is more of a village. It's about 3 miles from Cambridge and quite small. Food wise, if you're looking for afternoon tea, try The Orchard or for a quaint pub experience try the Green Man which has, I think, more of the feeling that you're looking for.

Let us know where you head!

Edited by Bonnie Anderson (log)

Thanks to everyone that has contributed.... so many excellent suggestions!!!!

I am leaning towards going to Rye in Sussex as it sounds to be exactly what i am looking for and quite close to london for a day-trip. Hopefully i'll have the opportunity to try a few more places as well in the coming weeks.

i spent the weekend in ventnor, isle of wight and had a terrific lunch at hambrough hotel, i think thats the name/spelling. the food was divine. also, the next day we went to the garlic farm which was fab, and to a brewery, i think ventnor brewery which was marvellously quirky, and not only do they welcome visitors, if you want to sign up as a volunteer, you've got a job--they pay you in beer!

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

Wait....!

Before you go rushing off somewhere regrettable like Rye, why not just revisit your Plan A (Dover) and amend it slightly ?

Your destination of choice should be Apicius in Cranbrook Kent. Cranbrook is a pleasent small town in pleasent Kent countryside surroundings (within a shout of Leeds castle etc) and Apicius is an absolute gem of a chef/patron restaurant: seriously good food, totally unpretentious and remarkable value for money. All round charming too.

It won my "restaurant anecdote of the year" award last year as Faith Johnson (the Chef's wife) who does front of house told us about one of her regular lunch tables which comprises 4 women putting the world to rights over half a case of Bordeaux. Two of these ladies spent the war in SOE, one at Bletchley Park and one in the French Resistance. One day Faith ventured to comment on their prodigious capacity for claret and was told in no uncertain terms by Madame de la Resistance "I am not an alcoholic, I am a drunk. Alcoholics attend meeetings."

You can find a review at: Apicius review

But best wishes wherever you end up...

Gareth