• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

canned mackerel

SheenaGreena

I buy canned mackerel and it's labeled as "saba mizuni". Mackerel is one of my favorite fish, so I love eating this.

is there a proper way to eat this stuff? Do you cook with it? I just eat it right out of the can with rice - you can eat the bones right?

This is the brand I purchase

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

so, do you do anything specific with it or do you just eat it plain with rice?

yes the bones taste very good and are good for you

there I go again, I should look at the link before asking the question :blink:

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Needless to say, you can use canned mackerel the way you want.

Some of my wife's uses for saba mizuni:

Put in curry

Put in zoni (soup with mochi in it)

My wife usually serves saba misoni with grated daikon.

A friend taught me a great way to prepare sardines, and it works for other canned fish (plain versions like mizuni only) as well:

Remove the lid, drain the oil/liquid, splash with a little ponzu or soy sauce and sprinkle with sashimi. Then stick the can in the fish toaster/toaster oven and toast until the fish is browned on top. Put the can on a plate (handle with care!) and serve.

So simple and it really makes the fish taste great.

My eGullet foodblog: Spring in Tokyo

My regular blog: Blue Lotus