• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Larchmont Cocktail

evo-lution

Hello all.

Just wondering if someone out there has a recipe, or any information what-so-ever, for a 'Larchmond'?

I have wracked my brain and cannot think what it is, and cannot find anything on the internet?!?

It is a classic drink that will contain orange liqueur of some description.

Any help would be appreciated...

Cheers in advance,

Adam

www.evo-lution.org

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Just wondering if someone out there has a recipe, or any information what-so-ever, for a 'Larchmond'?

Cease racking your brain. What you're looking for, I believe, is the "Larchmont,' created by David Embury and named after the New York City suburb in which he lived. Here's his formula:

"1/2 part Sugar Syrup

2 Parts Lime Juice

2 Parts Grand Marnier

6 Parts White Cuban Rum

Shake vigorously with crushed or cracked ice and strain into chilled and frosted cocktail glasses. A twist of orange peel may be dropped into each drink for decoration if desired."

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

Well thats the last time I trust the info on the Absolut Drinks database :biggrin:

So it was Grand Marnier; and a little less Sugar than I thought.

Isn't there a cocktail similar to the Larchmont called a "Golden Gloves"? :huh:

But that uses Cointreau doesn't it?

Cheers!

George

Cease racking your brain.

Cheers Dave!

Bloody spelling error. The print out of recipes I had, had it printed as 'Larchmond' which should explain the confusion!

I was positive I knew of a drink of a similar name, but was totally baffled when I couldn't find anything :wacko:

Never thought to check the spelling...

So this was created by Embury from what we/you know?!?

S'laters,

Adam

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Oh my gosh I am so on this for a story for the paper! I had no idea this thing existed. Are there any other Westchester drinks, oh wise cocktail historians?

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

The Larchmont is just a Daiquiri with a splashette of Grand Marnier, which is not too dissimilar to a Golden Gloves type Daiquiri, which is a Daiquiri with a splash of Cointreau.

I have always thought that a Daiquiri Naturel benefits from a lick of orange oil, from the orange twist.

So this was created by Embury from what we/you know?!?

Yep--here's how he introduces it:

"As a grand finale to cocktails based on rum, I give you one of my favorites which I have named after my favorite community." (1948 edition)

Liz--

As far as I know, David Embury was Westchester's second most famous mixologist; his book, however, is hardly bursting with liquid tributes to the county, this being the only one. The county's most famous mixologist was Jerry Thomas, but he only lived there briefly in the 1880s and never commemorated it with a drink, that we know of. Oh, well.

And yes, George, this is very like the Floridita's Golden Glove.

Personally, I prefer my Daiquiris nekkid.

aka David Wondrich

There are, according to recent statistics, 147 female bartenders in the United States. In the United Kingdom the barmaid is a feature of the wayside inn, and is a young woman of intelligence and rare sagacity. --The Syracuse Standard, 1895

... and never commemorated it with a drink, that we know of. Oh, well.

So we have a Bronx, a Brooklyn and a Manhattan — even a Larchmont and a Long Island Iced Tea — but no Westchester? What about Yonkers? New Rochelle? (What would Rob and Laura say?)

I think we'd better get on this glaring omission immediately.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.