• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate breaks

Busboy

was making chocolate mousse with my daughter the other morning and at some point after we took the melted chocolate (and coffee and vanilla) off the double boiler but before we stirred in the egg yolks and sugar, the chocolate began to break down, the solids separating from the oil. Why? I wouldn't have been so surprised if we'd been melting the chocolate over direct heat and overheated it, or if it was still on the boiler, but it was just sitting, cooling on the counter.

In desparation, we threw it under the KitchenAid's whisk treatment, and it seem to reform nicely, and the mousse was saved.

Why was that?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Hello,

Most likely it was due to the fact that an "emulsion" did not occur between the fat in the chocolate and the water in the coffee. Fat and Water do not mix so you have to create an emulsion to get them to combined correctly. An Emulsion is just a way to combined those two ingredients to where they susupend in a solution. Try this....

chop up the chocolate to small pieces then heat up the coffee to a boil....Pour the coffee over the chocolate and let it sit for a minute while melting together...then with a wisk mix it together somewhat briskly and then once combined add the vanilla.....tell me how it goes next time....

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

No need for the kitchenaid. As long as the chocolate/coffee mixture isn't too hot, the egg yolks and sugar should emulsify it just fine.

I see this all the time with white chocolate -- breaks down into a hopeless-looking mess when you add liquor, and then comes back together perfectly when you add eggs.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh