• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lotus paste Bao

peony

This is the first time I made bao. I am happy with this recipe as the skin is soft and chewy.

However, my bao pleating needs a lot of improvement and pratice. Anyone can tell me how to make the pleats in bao properly ?

pic094.jpg

pic093.jpg

very ugly pleatings of bao :wub:

peony

This is the first time I made bao. I am happy with this recipe as the skin is soft and chewy.

However, my bao pleating needs a lot of improvement and pratice. Anyone can tell me how to make the pleats in bao properly ?

Hi Peony:

Ah Leung had a recent thread on potstickers, in which one post showed the most elegant pleating method I've seen ... the posting is HERE

Hope that helps.

Thanks to yimay, who posted the original and who demonstrated the pleating method.

Regards,

JasonZ

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Check the consistency of your dough. Knead till it's even and smooth. A dough which is on the wet side will result in undiscernible pleats.

I can see your baos are nice and soft. Yum! Here's some I did a couple of years ago, my pleats weren't very clear either because I remember making a mental note that the dough was too wet. I've been meaning to make some linyoong ones from my leftover mooncake filling too. Tks for the reminder.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

That looks lovely, peony! Would you point us to which recipe you were using?

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

the recipe is a hybrid of different recipes from various source... I change and adjust some of the ingredients.

it's not from this forum....

this is the bao skin recipe

300 gm Hong Kong / bao flour

1 tsp double-acting baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp shortening

1 tbsp yeast

100-150 ml water - depend on flour

mix all ingredients. Knead till smooth n elastic. Proof till double in size. (I use a breadmachine here) :biggrin:

punch down, divide dough into equal pcs (abt. 30g wt each).Rest dough 10 min.

Wrap with filling and shape. Place each bao on a pc of greaseproof paper.

Proof for 30 min.

Steam on high heat 8 - 10 min.

Edited by peony (log)

peony

Those still look quite pretty, Peony! I agree with Tepee that the dough should not be too wet. Most of the lotus paste buns I've seen are hemispherical with no pleats, but I understand that they use a different formula for that type of dough to keep the tops from splitting open. I don't like those because they are usually not as soft and fluffy as the dough used for the steamed char siu bao.

Edited by sheetz (log)

In Hong Kong dim sum restaurants, it's customary that they do a "smooth" top for Lotus Seed Paste Baos. They also paint a small yellow dot on the top to signify the filling.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

In Hong Kong dim sum restaurants, it's customary that they do a "smooth" top for Lotus Seed Paste Baos.  They also paint a small yellow dot on the top to signify the filling.

It is the same over here, normally lotus paste or red bean paste baos have smooth top but I want to learn how to pleat bao and making pleats with lotus paste filling are not so messy as using char siew filling :biggrin:

Edited by peony (log)

peony

this is the bao skin recipe

300 gm Hong Kong / bao flour

Peony,

That bao skin looks perfect! I want to try your recipe, but what is Hong Kong/ bao flour?

My pleats always disappear after steaming. I will have to try and reduce the liquid in the mix and see if it would make a difference with my recipe.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Hong Kong flour is an all-purpose, soft wheat flour that is highly bleached. Bao that is made with Hong Kong flour will turn out whiter than those made with normal flour. Hong Kong flour is most suitable for making steamed bao.

peony

lotus paste filling is not only popular in bao but also as a filling in bread buns.

the reason, I guess is not popular in western countries maybe lotus seeds are not cheap like red beans.

Also makining lotus paste is not as easy as making red bean paste.

peony