• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anything doing in Dover?

As per the topic, I am looking for the best restaurants in Dover.  Need not be fancy, but would love something truly delicious.

Not touristy, if possible (local haunts....)!

Thanks in advance,

Josh.

I'd be fascinated to see if anyone comes up with anything. My mother & I had a Friday night in Dover about 3 years ago, before an early start day trip to France. Having walked round the (dead) town centre for some time, in desperation we went into an off licence and asked the bloke behind the counter for ANYWHERE to go - ended up in a chinese restaurant run by italians (the moonflower?). It was actually surprisingly palatable, but not I think what you are looking for as 'truly delicious'. :sad:

There is supposed to be a good french restaurant in a hotel along the coast - I want to say in Sandgate? Anyone know if I have got that right?

Helen

• 7 months later...

There is supposed to be a good french restaurant in a hotel along the coast - I want to say in Sandgate? Anyone know if I have got that right?

There was - La Terrasse at the Sandgate hotel. Unfortunately it closed in 2002. Even more unfortunately, we tried to go there this weekend on the basis of an out of date review. We realised that the hotel wasn't quite as classy as we had anticipated when we saw the signs for "Wednesday nights are Murder Mystery nights" on the way in.

In an earlier thread someone alluded to the length of time you needed to set aside to read through all of the wine list. I'm pleased to say the new management have solved this difficulty by omitting the year of the vintage. So much quicker to read now.

Even more unfortunately, we tried to go there this weekend on the basis of an out of date review. 

That's the place that was featured on the last series of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares, no?

Just checked and you're right. I really ought to spend more time watching telly, or at least asking those who do. Found some excerpts on YouTube however and the couple who ran it when GR visited no longer do - clearly he couldn't work his magic this time.

ETA - there's a fascinating story here for some one with more expertise and time at their disposal than I - the changing face of a restaurant location - from an acclaimed French restaurant (7/10 in the Good Food Guide 2002) to Murder Mystery nights and punters complaining about the lack of a veg side dish via a Gordon Ramsay failure.

Edited by Winot (log)