• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge (Round 6)

chiantiglace

Oh man, I think it's safe to say you totally blew us all away with that. Very, very well done. I hope you get the recipes up onto recipegullet soon. I know I took far too long with mine as it's so daunting but this is something that needs to be shared.

Looking very forward to the next one. So far, each person has managed to go seriously above and beyond the call of dute to produce something very cool.

PS: I am a guy.

I hate sweet tea. In spite of that, I reallllly want to taste those beads! Thats how good you make them look.

And the idea of combining them in one bite with a cake icecube!

AND a pecan tart.

My sweet tooth just died and went to your house.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

SweetSide, JeanneCake, cookman, Kerry Beal, gfron1, chiantiglace, Pam R, Shalmanese, Kouign Aman, Swisskaese, LittleIsland, Tweety69bird and May.

Thanks you guys! I appreciate all your kind, very generous and outrageously funny comments.

How is the flavour in the spheres? It tastes exactly like iced tea.

How did your hubby like it? It's ok. It's not on the menu for the holidays. :biggrin: We're not huge foodaholics. Chef-boy on the other hand will go nuts for this concept. It's so easy, it would be fun to do going forward to freak people out though. Like make 'apple' pie and do it all deconstructed.

I'm curious about the caviar - do they 'pop' or is it more of a melting in your mouth? They more kinda melt, they didn't really pop. But they can leak. They have to be kept refrigerated or they pee.

I am not sure if you were aiming for that or even aware, but it definately attributes to the idea of being homey. I missed it. Thanks!

I will work on the recipes and show how & where I learned to do the tea.

Thanks again.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Great job! It looks great! Wishing I could reach right into the computer screen and snag one of those pecans. Yum!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Oops :unsure: ! Wrong thread, but I get to say I love the upside down glass with tea caviar standing in for beads of moisture on a hot Southern day. Clever.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

About the challenge and the answer, WOW :wub:. I bet it's delish.

~ C

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

The iced tea cookie is a linzer style dressed with glistening tea jelly accented with Southern Comfort. Blew my diet on these buggers today--lol!

Great job all around, K8, but I like the cookies the best!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Chezkaren, shaloop, Darcie B, duckduck, Pontormo, C_Ruark, CanadianBakin', dejaq,

I can't thank you all enough.

The iced tea cookie is a linzer style dressed with glistening tea jelly accented with Southern Comfort. Blew my diet on these buggers today--lol!

Great job all around, K8, but I like the cookies the best!

gallery_19538_3860_1128263.jpg

Me too, Patrick! And my husband's and daughter's and son-in-law's favorite too. The flavor, the (clever) looks, the components, the cookies are the true star of the challenge.

Many thanks to willpowder.net without who's product and graciousness to deliver to me overnight this would not be possible. I mean they called me on the phone a coupla times so we could do this. Customer service out the whazoo. As well as many thanks to Jonathan M. Guberman's adventure in alginate thread. Last but first really thanks go to the brilliance of Ferran Adria at El Bulli.

........................................K8's Tea Caviar :raz:

I gathered the sweetened lemon tea, sodium alginate and sodium citrate and some great whisk-ers. Now I gotta be honest. The first time I made this I was careful to weigh and measure but still I didn't know what I was doing because my guiding recipe had fruit puree in it so...I guessed on the right amounts of materials. Somewhere in the neighborhood of two teaspoons-ish of each to a liter or two of tea. I combined those ingredients before I added them because the alginate needs help to dissolve--I used hot tea and actually used my blender the first time but then just whisked for the other two times.

gallery_19538_3860_107242.jpg

I strained my tea mixture to remove any stubborn alginate blobs.

gallery_19538_3860_1453387.jpg

I gathered a large pan, a food baster, a liter of water and the calcium chloride --again something in the neighborhood of two teaspoons to the one liter of water. This easily dissolves.

gallery_19538_3860_169697.jpg

Sucking up the tea in the food baster...

gallery_19538_3860_112109.jpg

A few baby cavi's being born...

gallery_19538_3860_1074420.jpg

Lots of brothers and sisters...

gallery_19538_3860_548750.jpg

See the loch ness monster over there?? Just squirt out a stream, or of course you can make spoonsfull etc.

gallery_19538_3860_1283611.jpg

Pour your babies into the big strainer into the big bowl

gallery_19538_3860_549636.jpg

~~insert surreal memories of my girlfriend's guppy harvesting~~

Get your guppies, er I mean, caviars into the frige quick--keep 'em cold. Pour your solution from the blue bowl back into white container and...Viola!

gallery_19538_3860_194569.jpg

Thank you, Jeanne and Tweety.

Yes of course, Mette, help yourself, don't be shy. :raz:

Umm, no not expensive. The sodium alginate was twelve dollors and the calcium chloride was seven and the sodium citrate was six I believe. It's all on his webpage plus the recipes I used.

Ok wait, when you have the gum (sodium alginate) mixed into whatever substance you have chosen, and the ph balance is correct (I guessed) which is why I added sodium citrate then when that is all combined and you drop that mixture into the calcium chloride water bath then the dropped mixture forms a little 'skin' around it.

If you drop a drop, it makes a sphere. If you drop a snake, a long continuous drop of it, it makes a noodle. If you carefully drop a spoonfull, it makes a spoonful, ravioli or whatever you want to call it.

Using a larger baster makes a larger drop to fall off and form into cavis*.

*Cavis of course are baby caviars.

The process and the chemicals do it all for you. I was a cog in the wheel.

Fun fun fun though.