• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best butcher in Atlanta?

kretch

The full list of butchers in the vast Atlanta area is found right here .. apparently Oak Grove Market on LaVista Rd is the best ... Dekalb Farmers Market also has great meat and seafood ... and, because they are is so large, where you are located is also an issue ...

You might also wish to look at Patton's Meat Market as well ...

Patton’s Meat Market was founded in 1986 by a family devoted to supplying the finest quality beef, lamb, veal, pork, chicken, seafood, sausages, and farm fresh produce at the best prices! We stock the freshest Iowa Grain-Fed choice beef and pork, as well as Angus Beef. Having been nominated ‘Grocer of the Year’ by the Department of Agriculture, we pride ourselves on high standards of quality and cleanliness.
Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

You might also want to try Patak's

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in this question as well, since I'm moving to Atlanta soon. What I'd like to know is if anyone can recommend butchers that carry sustainably-raised or organic meat. I'm going to be in Midtown, and there's a Whole Foods close by, but I prefer, if possible, to patronize smaller shops.

I'm very spoiled where I live now, because there's a butcher shop a few blocks away from my apartment and I can buy what I need for just a couple of days, or make "impulse" purchases. I'm sure that's not going to be in my future (unless I missed a butcher shop driving around my new neighborhood), but I can adjust to planning and stocking up, if it means better products at a good store. A Google search turned up Star Provisions, which I visited on a previous trip. I'm sure it's expensive, though, so I'd love to hear about other options.

Hi, and welcome (soon) to Atlanta!

You might want to try contacting Spruill Green Market. They are a local CSA that lists chicken, lamb, and pork along with veggies and fruits.

Spruill Green Market CSA

(If for some reason the link doesn't work, you can find them listed on localharvest.org)

Hope that's helpful!

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

For pork, I can't recommend the Berkshire pork from Riverview Farms highly enough. Unfortunately, distribution is quirky. Star Provisions carries some cuts, as does New York Butcher Shoppe (which, being in Alpharetta, is way the heck out of your way, but might be worth a stop if you're in the area). Riverview Farms also shows up at the Morningside Farmers Market, but they sell out of everything but sausage pretty early. I've been thinking that if you called them a few days ahead, they might be willing to fill an order.

Riverview also raises grass-fed beef, which I've not tried.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the Morningside Market one of these weekends. It sounds like the Spruill Green Market CSA is almost at an end for the year, but for next spring, I'll keep it in mind.

• 1 year later...

More than a year later, I'm still dreaming of a close-by butcher shop, but I have found some alternatives. For variety and reasonable prices, DeKalb Farmer's Market is reliable, if not terribly convenient. For great quality and special orders, I've discovered Sawicki's in Decatur (Lynn Sawicki used to head up the charcuterie dept. for Star Provisions, I think). I've also gotten to know the head of the meat dept. at my Publix, so he'll order stuff for me as well, or pack a single steak or chop for me. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the quality at Publix, which has been a pleasant surprise.

And as I mentioned here, the CSA I order from also has meat available. It's been great, if a bit expensive.

I see that Trader Joe's carries some meat as well. Anyone tried that? It would very convenient if it turned out to be good.

More than a year later, I'm still dreaming of a close-by butcher shop, but I have found some alternatives. For variety and reasonable prices, DeKalb Farmer's Market is reliable, if not terribly convenient. For great quality and special orders, I've discovered Sawicki's in Decatur (Lynn Sawicki used to head up the charcuterie dept. for Star Provisions, I think). I've also gotten to know the head of the meat dept. at my Publix, so he'll order stuff for me as well, or pack a single steak or chop for me. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the quality at Publix, which has been a pleasant surprise.

And as I mentioned here, the CSA I order from also has meat available. It's been great, if a bit expensive.

I see that Trader Joe's carries some meat as well. Anyone tried that? It would very convenient if it turned out to be good.

I finally resorted to piggybacking my wishes on my wife's work order. She works at a country club and they order Buckhead Beef. Patton's is great and their family deals are cost efficient and high quality. But, he carries more traditional cuts and is so busy that there is little interest in specialty orders. His volume is HUGE. And he does have some oddball side items that are cool esp cajun stuff out of LA.

Very hard to find a butcher shop that has more mundane or obscure cuts. Heck, I can't find veal in any form other than chops or medallions anywhere.

• 4 years later...

Since this old thread has been revived, I'll add the following:

Shields Meat Market in Decatur is pretty good (bought a really nice Veal shank a few months ago) though not convenient for me.

I will also add that Patak's is a local treasure -- especially its selection of eastern european salamis and cured meats.