• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mission impossible?

Degustation

I am currently visiting Paris and have run into a young friend who is also here visiting his brother. It turns out he may not have the chance to come back to Paris for awhile since he is moving to Buenos Aires.

He has always wanted to have a meal at a Michelin star restaurant, but has never had the opportunity. I offered to take him, but the dillemma is that we are both leaving Paris on Thur, and tomorrow, Tues, is the only time that we may be able to have at least a lunch together.

Question is -- Is it impossible to get into a good Michelin resto at the very last minute for lunch; i.e. call tonight or tomorrow -- for maybe very early, like noon or very late 14:30? Any suggestions of places that we would have a good chance of securing a spot? If not, what is the next best option?

He was so excited by the prospect that this might happen, he said he would even put on his Hugo Boss suit for the occasion (I have never seen him in anything but t-shirts and jeans -- so this must mean a lot to him!)

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Easy as pie. Depends on where you want to go..

For example, personally, I've had last minute tables in every one, two and three star Michelin in Paris.

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

I offered to take him, but the dillemma is that we are both leaving Paris on Thur, and tomorrow, Tues, is the only time that we may be able to have at least a lunch together.

I agree with the above. Just say "Yes." Call any place you want. It should not be a problem for lunch on Tuesday. If you have your heart set on one, ask if there's room at the bar - there will be.

Eat well and report back on your experience(s) for others.

Thanks,

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks to one and all. I called that morning and made reservations at Taillevent for 1:00. I figured this would be perfect for his first experience, nothing too avant-garde, traditional yet contemporary -- didn't want to scare the boy.

I shall have to describe the meal in about a week's time, since I have to catch a train to London, and don't quite have the time right now.

However, everything was superb, as fitting a 3 star. I think my friend was most impressed by the service. He had arrived there before I and he said that there were more people on the floor than there were sitting at the tables. That did change after I arrived, but after he viewed the impeccable service in action, he whispered to me that he had only heard about such things, where the staff was so well-trained that if you dropped a fork, they would catch it before it fell to the floor... well, we didn't try to test that rumour, but suffice to say he was bowled over by the experience.

Thanks again for your advice.