• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

State Fair Food

spqr

You might have to get out the needle-nosed pliers to "de-quill" it!

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Just for something to do, we went to the Maryland State Fair today. I'm here to tell you, serious fairgoers shouldn't bother. The only vaguely interesting food I saw (and ate) was roasted corn. Well, and my husband had an acceptable but not exactly inspiring peach cobbler. Even the caramel corn was underwhelming.

I wanted some hotdish on a stick, or at least something cool. I only saw one vendor selling crab cakes, and they looked tired and like they'd been drying out on the griddle all day. Maryland stuffed ham was nowhere in sight. What a letdown.

Even though we're in the midst of moving, my husband and I had tickets to the Weird Al concert last Thursday at the Colorado State Fair since before this moving odyssey started, and I wasn't going to let anything like 8 am house showings the next day make me miss the concert. (Side note: who gets up at 8 am to look at houses? Apparently someone....)

And since we were at the state fair, I was bound and determined to check another food off my "top ten most wanted to try" list: the deep fried Twinkie. (I don't want to make a steady diet of them, just wanted to try it.)

And as long as we were ordering a deep fried Twinkie, we got an order of deep fried Oreos, deep fried Snickers, and deep fried Pepsi. If you're going to blow it, blow it good.

The Twinkie was the best of the lot. The creamy filling melted into the cake, giving it an interesting texture, and it ended up being more like a donut than anything else. But something about battering and frying the Oreos removed some of their essential Oreo-ness. They were good, but not special.

The deep fried Snickers was TOO SWEET. I have a sweet tooth. It's really hard for me to find anything too sweet. But by the last bite of this I'd had more than enough.

The deep fried Pepsi was just a funnel cake with Pepsi used as the liquid. It was awful. We each had about two bites, decided this was a waste of time, and tossed the rest while we went to watch the goat judging.

After all the deep fried crap (we've decided that's the best term for this whole class of foods), we wanted something with some nutritional value for dinner. A gyros stand smelled wonderful, so we each got one....and it was far better than it had any right to be. The tomatoes were ripe, the meat seasoned well, and the tzatziki (sp?) tasted markedly of dill and garlic.

My husband also had a locally made sausage - I don't remember the exact name, but it was pork with a coarse texture and a crisp skin. Absolutely delicious.

But the bottom line with the deep fried stuff is that while I have no regrets about trying them, I don't think I'll be seeking them out again.

Oh, yeah, and Weird Al put on a pretty good show, too.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I've been a Sacramento resident for about five or six years now, so I've adopted the California State Fair as one of my very favorite local traditions. It's big, hot, smelly, and populated by California-style rednecks. It's also absolutely fabulous.

As for the food...I admit, I'm not a huge fry-a-lator fan. However, this being California, there's a lot of options that don't involve deep fat frying. Not that we don't have fried Snickers bars or fried Pepsi or fried Krispy-Kreme and chicken sandwiches at Charlie Chicken....

Bloomin' Onion (2006) - Pretty good and definitely bigger then my head, at least when spread out on a plate. However, the inside of the onion was not completely fried through! Encountering grainy batter in the middle of your artery-busting onion is just a total buzz kill. Boo.

Deep-Fried Snickers Bar (2005) - I was prepared to hate this. Too bad it's friggin' delicious. The bar melts to a silky consistency, and with the combination of the crunchy batter and the raspberry sauce, it's like deep fried crack. You have to try it at least once. The Scottish are on to something.

Grilled Corn On the Cob - Simple, easy, ubiquitous. And tasty. Rolled in seasoning salt, it's the way summer oughta taste.

Merlino's Fruit Freeze - Merlino's fruit freeze is a Sacramento institution, making fruit ices that aren't quite slushes and aren't quite solid and are all delicious, with intense flavors and a perfect consistency. I always order a big cup with one scoop of strawberry, one of lemon, then mush them together for the Best Frozen Strawberry Lemonade ever. However, Merlino's was NOT AT THE FAIR THIS YEAR! (2007) My heart is broken.

Deep-Fried Artichoke Hearts: Blah. Soggy batter and insipid insides. How the hell did the California State Fair of all places and all locations screw this up?

Frozen Yogurt with Fresh Strawberries: Tasty all right, but nothing particularly special or specific to the fair. I need more pizzaz. I need sprinkles. I need farm animal shaped gummies. I need electric blue coloring. Something.

Smoked Turkey Leg - Yummy and tender, although the barbecue sauce is too damn sweet. (But my roots are in North Carolina.) However, 10 bucks a turkey leg? Are these organically raised rare-breed platinum plated turkeys or what?

Margarita - I am underage and thus have no idea what this tastes like. (It was good.) I will always treasure my father going off on the margarita guy because the big phallus-like cups the drinks are served in are "stupid."

Laotian Style Papaya Salad - Okay, this isn't really traditional fair food. However, it was excellent, made with lots of extra fish sauce (this is the Laotian bit) and incendiary amounts of chili pepper.

This year (2007), the food we tried wasn't particularly special. Either the thrill is gone, the food is really going downhill, or we're just not ordering correctly.

On the agenda for next year: fried catfish, chitterlings, finally try at least a bit of that amazing Krispy Kreme Fried Chicken sandwich. Because it is there.

Once again, the Fahning family hit the State Fair (the great Minnesota State Fair). Paul and I have sort of lost track but this was either the 29th or 30th year in a row that we have attended together. The last 17 with at least one child (at least in the womb). We don't miss it, and although we always vow to go on opening day (when the rides are cheap, the grease fresh and the bathrooms clean), this year it was the second day.

And, as always, the first stop is for a Corn Dog. Now, remember, we are a house divided -- at least until this year. I am of the Corn Dog Camp, Paul of the Pronto Pup Camp. The first corn dogs were disappointing. The batter was too thick, and although appropriately corny enough, it just wasn't right. But, the cheese curds were just right, as was our macaroni and cheese on a stick:

gallery_6263_35_30038.jpggallery_6263_35_5104.jpg

Think great macaroni and cheese, chilled, formed into patties, breaded and deep fried, and skewered. This was wonderful. But, there's enough other fatty and deep fried dishes to keep us occupied, so one skewer did it for the five of us.

We washed this down with a glass of 1919 Rootbeer, one of the fair's best values. The other good soda pop value was the Pepsi stand in the food building. Never mind that the Pepsi was served in an official State Fair Coca Cola cup!

Oh, let's continue on with the deep fried stuff. Each kid had a candy bar. There were mini-donuts. More cheese curds.

Then, the Pronto Pups, decidedly inferior in the minds of Diana, Peter and I. Too doughy, not cornmeally (sp?) enough. French Fries.

Then, some lamb meatballs from Dino's Gyros -- a very big hit.

Then, we hit the hort building to see the biggest pumpkin, the winning green beans (so just how sad will they look on the last day of the fair), and a cup of honey ice cream (one cut for 5 people is enough to send every dentist to the bank). And, some treasures in the hort building. Winning scarecrows and crop art:

gallery_6263_35_74184.jpggallery_6263_35_55782.jpg

Big surprises:

We, for the first time, went to the 4-H building (actually in search of bathrooms without mile-long lines) and were astonished by what the youth of today is producing. Woodworking, day-of-the-week dishtowels, muffins, jams, jellies, etc. Watch out, little old ladies, some serious competition coming your way.

We did not try the deep-fried fruit on a stick (which Diana tried on a subsequent visit and prounced excellent)

We did not try the spam burger, nor did we try the ground spam/cheese curds served with mayo.

We did drink Glenwood water, like we always did, and saw the biggest pig (1,200 pounds), we did do a massive amount of people watching, we did eat yet ANOTHER order of fried cheese curds, we drank yet more water and beer (adults only).

Peter, for the second year in a row, did NOT hurl after going on a mess of rides.

I actually went on a ride. It was the water raft thing, and the kids knew just were to position me on the raft so I would get drenched.

We saw Linda Christianson sculpt Princess in a 90-pound of butter.

We saw a lot of award winning meat, and trust me, I'll have samples of the four winners in the freezer in not too long for a serious tast testing.

But, best of all was leaving the fair. We just couldn't leave without another fried thing, and for me, it had to be a corn dog. But, what was right by the exit (on Como to catch a bus), was the Poncho Dog stand. OMG. Best damned corn dog any of us have ever had, and even Paul admitted that the Pronto Pup paled in comparison. We just might be a house united!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

We're already making plans for what will be the 30th (or is it the 31st) year in a row that Paul and I have gone to the Great Minnesota State Fair, and it appears that there will be a new food on a stick, courtesy of Big Fat Bacon:

1/3 lb slice of bacon fried and carmelized with maple syrup, served on a stick with dipping sauces

I'm sure this is not the only new entry to the Food On A Stick category.

But, a 1/3 lb. slice of bacon? Wonder if it's deep-fried? I'll have to check this one out, and see what kind of dipping sauces they offer.

We're already making plans for what will be the 30th (or is it the 31st) year in a row that Paul and I have gone to the Great Minnesota State Fair, and it appears that there will be a new food on a stick, courtesy of Big Fat Bacon:
1/3 lb slice of bacon fried and carmelized with maple syrup, served on a stick with dipping sauces

But, a 1/3 lb. slice of bacon? Wonder if it's deep-fried? I'll have to check this one out, and see what kind of dipping sauces they offer.

I can't remember if that one is deep-fried or not.

The other new bacon item is though... the "Pig Licker" - deep-fried bacon covered in chocolate and dusted with sea salt.

YOU GO GIRL

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I am going to have to try that. Pork fat is good.

My favorite at the Minnesota State Fair is the Hot Dago on a stick. It has been around for a few years now so it is nothing new. You can get them at Luigi Fries.

The stuffed peppers are always good. The Scotch eggs are quite nice.

We go early and have breakfast. My usual is the venison Polish sausage with scrambled eggs on a rye bun from Schumacher's New Prague Hotel:

Here is the food finder list:

Food Finder List

We always buy the Blue Ribbon Bargain book. It pays for itself just in beverage purchase savings.

susan,

on Good Morning, America yesterday they featured state fair foods and a new one from your fair was deep fried bacon with a chocolate coating then sprinkled with sea salt. wanna take one for the team?

suzi

edited to add they are called Pig Lickers and made by Famous Dave's.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

susan,

on Good Morning, America yesterday they featured state fair foods and a new one from your fair was deep fried bacon with a chocolate coating then sprinkled with sea salt. wanna take one for the team?

suzi

edited to add they are called Pig Lickers and made by Famous Dave's.

suzi:

I will take not one, but two for the team. The deep fried and the other one, too.

Nothing like a walk around the Great Minnesota State Fair in search of bacon!

suzi:

I will take not one, but two for the team.  The deep fried and the other one, too.

Nothing like a walk around the Great Minnesota State Fair in search of bacon!

you are sooooo good to us. especially after we sent you that convention and all...

can't wait for the report

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I will be there Saturday morning. I was talking to the wife last night. I told her we were going to have to track that bacon on a stick down. She told me she was scheduling a cholesterol check for next week. I am worried.

My last test was a bit high. The doc did not believe me that I had fasted. Looks like my diet might be in danger of undergoing a change.

I hope to hear how it was for you.

Folks,

Pie at the Humbolt County Fair:

And the performing Kitchen-Aires!

mmmmmm pie

I added one more thing to my list for the MN State Fair.

Bacon wrapped turkey tenderloin

So an addition to my Big Fat Bacon, Pig Lickers, Stuffed peppers, Lefse with lingonberries.

It will be a sad fair for the Danielsons. Bill Danielson died shortly after the fair last year. William Danielson

Those are the onion rings to judge all others by.

We have been good and eaten a pre-Fair meal of sweet corn, tomatoes and green beans.

We are steeled for deep fried cheese curds, mini-donuts, Pancho Dogs (or Corn Dogs; big difference from Pronto Pups), some sort of deep fried candy or cookie thing, some beer, french fries, etc., etc. Oh, and the new bacon treats! That and the big pig, the prize winning quilt, jams like you've never seens, and more odd folks than one should ever see in a lifetime.

A report will follow. I'm sure it will be artery clogging. Paul and I have hit the Great Minnesota State Fair EVERY year for just over 30 years.

Edited to note than since we are getting an early start, and will arrive at the fair close to the Poncho Dog stand, you know what I will breakfast on!

Edited by snowangel (log)

I went on Saturday. We ended up spending 14 hours there. With the kids in tow we didn't get down to trying much of the new stuff.

I did try a pickle pop. My 9 yo daughter ate one whole one. I could only eat half of one. It had very good pickle flavor. It was just a bit too concentrated. She later had one of their pickles on a stick and enjoyed it.

Our friend ran over to the Big Fat Bacon booth while we took the kids up the DNR fire tower. When we got back down My wife was inspecting it with her. She took a few bites and tossed the rest. I didn't try one based on their review.

The lefse with lingonberries was great as usual.

The mini-donuts were fabulous. I am not sure what they put in the sugar they roll them in but they made for a great breakfast.

My daughter ate her entire hot dago on a stick.

In the International Bazaar I tried the prosciutto wrapped asparagus. I handed over my $3 expecting 2 or 3 spears. In return I recieved one spear. It was ok. There was a bit of marscapone under the prosciutto. The version I made last Christmas was better.

I was hungry by the time we hit the giant slide. I sidled next door after my trip down and snatched up a corn dog. With a bit of mustard it was just the thing. True fair food.

• 10 months later...

Something new this year that we didn't get to try...I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of it at the recent San Diego County Fair (aka the Del Mar Fair) but you can Google Image it:

The Zucchini Weenie :blink:

It's a hollowed out green zucchini stuffed with a hot dog. The entire thing is then battered and deep fried.

It boggles the mind. Is it a corn dog? Is it deep fried zucchini? Is it the best of both worlds or the worst of it? :laugh:

My family and I were also saddened by the missing food vendors who had appeared at the fair in previous years. They seemed to have less vendors this year. I don't know if the fair board was charging vendors more for their space at the fair or if more vendors opted out due to the economy. They spaced the vendors out more to make it look like there weren't less vendors but you could still see it.

So we had to do without the Colossal Burger this year, aka a Heart Attack on a Bun. :sad: It was a double cheeseburger topped with bacon and pastrami and was quite good and shared with everyone in the group so you got just enough to taste but not enough to kill you. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

just noticed this:

http://news.yahoo.com/norma-lyon-iowa-fairs-butter-cow-lady-dies-222959615.html

how sad that she will not be able to sculpt again. really. since this is so iconic of the iowa state fair.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Yup. Bye bye butter lady.

In other fair news, the San Diego County Fair (aka the Del Mar Fair) once again met the basic deepfried food needs of the herd.

There were at least two different versions of funnel cakes, we saw but did not eat the deepfried chocolate covered bacon and butter, we missed seeing the deepfried Koolaid :( , and we indulged in the annual scoffery of garlic-batter fried mushrooms.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Yup. Bye bye butter lady.

In other fair news, the San Diego County Fair (aka the Del Mar Fair) once again met the basic deepfried food needs of the herd.

There were at least two different versions of funnel cakes, we saw but did not eat the deepfried chocolate covered bacon and butter, we missed seeing the deepfried Koolaid :( , and we indulged in the annual scoffery of garlic-batter fried mushrooms.

I went to the Del Mar Fair recently, too! Though I must say the bloom is off the deep fried rose for my family. Been there, fried that. I think watching a television reporter deep fry a shoe last year kind of put me off the trend.

I heard the deep fried Klondike bar was supposed to be good but messy to eat. But since it's the Fair, messy is about the norm.

I'll match your mushrooms with the usual garlic-battered artichoke hearts or falafel burger from Roxy's booth. :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

I'm incurable. I have an addiction to Fair Food. Our Fair starts tommorrow and I'm so excited, I've printed off the PDF file of all the food vendors, highlighting the places I plan on visiting and the foods I plan on eating. The list reads:

-Greek Food

-Crab Cakes

-Deep-fried Cheesecake

-Prime Beef Burgers, Cougar Gold (from Pullman, WA) Cheese Fries, Cougar Gold Mac'n Cheese

-Huckleberry Cheesecake

-Huckleberry Ice Cream

-Ecuadorian Pork, Red Beans, Rice

-Fresh Local Cream Butter Fudge

Should my list be bigger?