• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog : yunnermeier - Hungry in Holland,Oberhausen & Budapes

yunnermeier

The great space cake project.

oatmeal might mask any texture issues, or finely chopped nuts in the mix.

Re tastes... perhaps a heavily spiced cake would go well with/to mask the natural flavor?

Maryjane goes well in red sauce due to its oregano-ish flavor. its awful with chocolate (IMO).

PS you are very pretty. Lucky farm boy!

Kouign Aman : The spice cake is a great idea. I'v been hankering to try Indonesian layer cake for ages but it's so time consuming (and you never know when the baby is going to wake up and start screaming :raz: ). I'm going to use a packaged brownie mix this time because I'm now at farmboy's place in Arnhem where there are no bowls, no large spoon, only 1 lousy POTATO knife..well you get the idea;)

I'm dragging him to the local store to grab a chopping board, a knife and a casserole dish :smile:

mizducky

Further thoughts re your adventures into Alice B. Toklas brownies: my understanding is that the active chemicals of interest in cannabis are oil-soluble, so a lot of methods recommend a two-step process of first extracting those chemicals into a fat such as butter (by cooking the herb in that fat over gentle heat, straining, and cooling); and then using the infused fat in baked goods and other recipes. The straining step guarantees that there will be no herbal solids adding odd textures to the end-product.

MizDucky , I'll be using hash because that's what the recipe I found said (and mostly because I already bought that lump of 4 grams on Tuesday. What I will do is melt the hash with a lighter into the butter, tralala

Let's see if this work! If things go as planned, it will be done later today. If not, on Saturday afternoon!

Edited by yunnermeier (log)

The bf and I have decided to go to Germany tomorrow instead (this is why I love Europe, nothing is too faraway!) but in conjunction with our trip, I've decided to make

Bavarian Roast Pork for dinner . This will take quite some time in the oven so I should be going to the slagerij (butcher) in an hour or two...

Is there a technical term for the hangover resulting from a badly-engineered attempt to relieve the previous day's hangover (um, yes Mark, I believe the word you're lookng for is "binge" :raz:)...

The Duckster is correct: there is ton of readily available reference material out there. For example I just learned that Alice Waters and Jeremiah Tower cooked with herb (in addition to the usual herbs) back in the early days of Chez Panisse...

Back to brownies: about the hashy aftertaste problem: agreeing with Kouign Aman, nuts and seeds go a long way toward minimizing the lingering hashiness of this kind of baked good...

Some specific suggestions: macadamia, walnuts, hazelnuts, pine nuts. For example, I bet a zucchini/walnut cake would probably work out pretty good ...chocolate/hazelnut might be the way to go with brownies tho...

But i would also love to have seen spekkoek/kuih lapis if that's the "Indonesian Spice Cake" you were talking about! I wonder if you'd have been the first person to ever make space spekkoek? :raz:

mark

ETA: Actually, I believe "bender" was the word I really wanted.

Edited by markemorse (log)

Wowzah!

Farmboy was really nice and gave me some flowers :wub: I guess that means I'm the best girlfriend ever :raz:

gallery_28660_3809_82165.jpg

The kitchen I have to put up with when I'm in Arnhem! (and this is after I did a huge pile of dishes) :angry:

gallery_28660_3809_30182.jpg

The slagerij (this one is a cured meat butchershop though. There was some confusion at first because the butchershops I've gone to in Weesp have huge hunks of meat while this one was more pretty with more cured meats etc)

gallery_28660_3809_85301.jpg

My visit there was somewhat uneventful. The lady couldn't speak a word of English (not even "I can't understand English") so I used my very pathetic , broken Dutch ( Ik wil graag vlees uh...er.... between de nek en schouder ). On the way home, I realised that in the confusion, I had somehow forgot to specify which meat (PORK) I wanted so she gave me beef :unsure: So dinner tonight will be Bavarian Roast Beef instead :smile:

This is the bakery and supermarket I usually go to when I'm in Arnhem. This specific supermarket branch (not the company though) is the most expensive supermarket I've been to in the Netherlands. Everything here is at least 10% more than the Albert Heijn 20 minutes away by bus but it's only 400 metres from the apartment so...

gallery_28660_3809_51983.jpg

Breakfast (from the bakery above)for me was (Farmboy had eggs with cheese and bread rolls) :

Coffee Vanilla Roll

gallery_28660_3809_82560.jpg

and this great cake. It has little sugar lumps (similar to suikerbrood ) on top.

Yoghurt Cake with Peaches

gallery_28660_3809_20141.jpg

I also bought these from Bakker Hilvers

Zwarte Piet chocolate and Marzipan Pig

gallery_28660_3809_78236.jpg

ETA: I'm also the proud owner of a chopping board, knife, sieve and a casserole dish!!

Mei, you are so adorable. Your images provide such a unique perspective. I love those little Zwarte Piet chocolates. Sebastien is too cute. And gorgeous flowers, you must hold onto this farmboy!

You must be very mature to be juggling all this....foreign country with no family around, responsibility to a little boy, boyfriend... and yet in the midst of it all you have an extra hand to be involved with eGullet. That's the funny thing about eGullet, I think, is that no matter how busy you are, you always manage to squeeze in a moment or two to catch up.

I was in Malaysia a few years ago and absolutely loved it. We travelled around a good portion of the country and ended up at a gorgeous beach on pulau Tioman. I may have missed this in your blog, but which part are you from?

Mei,

I am just catching up with this blog now, but it is hilarious (in a good sense)! What fun!

Tell me, have you had any "culture shock" since moving to Holland?

Yes, I have! There are times when I HATE The Netherlands (mostly when people look at me weird :raz: , when people stop in the middle of the street when they meet their friends so that you can't move-and they really won't move even if you're waiting!- or when ...well you get the idea :raz: ) but the Dutchies can be very nice too ( helping me when I was stuck outside the house one night because the lock expanded due to the cold and my key wouldn't work; host family not in etc.) .

Also, as is well known, Dutchies are very straightforward which I've come to terms with and even enjoy because I grew up in Malaysia and was an exchange student in Japan for a bit and Japan (and to a smaller extend Malaysia-depending on whom you hang out with) drove me crazy !

Another thing I enjoy is that people here are somehow less ...hmm..what's that word.. status conscious than in Malaysia (in Malaysia, once you have money, you wear Gucci, carry LV and drive a Mercedes whereas Sebastiaan for instance wears 2nd hand clothes eventhough my host family is far from poor, because babies grow fast).

...when people stop in the middle of the street when they meet their friends so that you can't move-and they really won't move even if you're waiting!

hmm, yes...it's as if they are sure they're the only people on the planet...a variant on this behavior is when people see someone they know in the grocery store...now imagine a European grocery store, very small aisles, not really made for standing around and talking...and then add 3 or 4 parked shoppers taking a minute or 10 to catch up with each other, then add a team of shelf stockers who are convinced that what they're doing is much more important than you actually being able to get at the groceries themselves....

(can you tell i just got back from the grocery store?)

but i'm sure this is not just a Dutch thing....

and while it sounds like i'm complaining about people taking a "slow(er)" approach to life, i'm not really complaining, i'm just crabby. :raz:

mark

Mei, thank you for blogging! I think I speak for most when I say we would like to see a picture of the farmboy. Preferably high :biggrin:

You probably don't get seeds in 'commercial' herb purchases, but it happens privately. I've heard that the sauteed-in-butter trick is an excellent way to make use of an otherwise inconvenient byproduct. I am so psyched! My hairdresser back in San Francisco told me that ten years ago and I've not since had occasion to repeat it. Thank you eGullet :cool:

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

This is the moment you are waiting for!

I hereby present.....

Operation Spacecake

This is the so-easy-even-sebastiaan-can-do-it version because I don't have a cake pan (or anything really) here and am too poor to buy anything else until Wednesday... :hmmm:

Ingredients:

4 grams hash

1 Dr. Oetker Brownie Mix

50 grams butter

100ml water

100ml milk (to combat the dryness?)

1 small packet of Walnuts (I think it was maybe 20 grams?)

4 bars from a small block of Cote d'Or intense dark chocolate

Sorry that this picture wasn't taken up close.

i) Melt the hash and crumble it into the butter

gallery_28660_3809_68278.jpg

ii) Mix everything (notice how I had to use a 25-year old tupperware container I found hidden in the cupboard under the sink?)

gallery_28660_3809_4057.jpg

iii) The batter is now ready to go into the oven (I had to interrupt my roast for this!). I put it in for about 30 -35 at 165 degrees celscious.

gallery_28660_3809_25655.jpg

iv) Voila!

gallery_28660_3809_13191.jpg

We will have this after dinner :laugh: Oh , but first I want to say that if this is illegal where you live, DO NOT TRY THIS! :rolleyes: Also, I'm not sure if this recipe works because I just read the guide earlier and it stated "light hash" (whatever that is). I bought normal hash so this might be a little too strong. I'll update you later (or tomorrow ); you may just have to read a very garbled post at 2a.m.... :raz:

Dinner post later!

Hi Shaya & Jen !!

Shaya: I live in Petaling Jaya ,about 20 minutes (if there's not traffic jam :hmmm: ) from central KL. My Dad is a Baba from Melaka and Mum is Hainanese. I have yet to go to Pulau Tioman but have been to Pulau Perhentian twice. Those east coast islands are gorgeous,aren't they?! I miss proper beaches (you get gray ones here) :unsure:

Jen : Farmboy absolutely refuses to have his picture posted here! He's too shy but you know what, I'm going to make him let me post a picture of him and I in Germany tomorrow. I promise to try but he is so very stubborn :rolleyes:

markemorse : So true about the supermarket workers not bothering to move! I mean, hellooo I'm the customer and you're putting it up for ME to buy it so move aside please! :laugh:

Dinner was so good!

My family back in Malaysia regularly host exchange students. One day, a Rotarian from my sponsor (they subsidised my 1-year Japanese exchange trip) Rotary Club called my mother that a German guy just turned up at his office and if we could please ,please host him for 3 months from that very night! There was a misunderstanding of some sort - this intern had sent this Rotarian (this has nothing to with Rotary Club but through this Rotarian's private company) his CV and this Rotarian had expressed interest but the Rotarian's internet access was cut off and he didn't get it repaired. I think they had sort of set a date but as internet was down , the Rotarian figured the intern wasn't going to turn up.

2 months after the last e-mail, this poor German student really did arrive at the office!

Anyway, we hosted him and he was very nice. A few weeks before he left, he taught my mum how to make Bavarian roast pork (his grandfather's recipe). This has become a regular on my dining table back home (Mum makes it at least once a fortnight).

Today, I used beef because of what I told you happened at the butcher's :smile:

Raw meat

gallery_28660_3809_82537.jpg

Ready to go into the oven

gallery_28660_3809_54532.jpg

Dinner! Lekker!

gallery_28660_3809_19311.jpg

For dessert, we had Konnyaku jelly / jello with strawberries, tinned peaches & mandarins

gallery_28660_3809_48713.jpg

I am so full!

ETA: Recipe posted below

Mei, this blog is so much fun!

Interesting that the Coop is so expensive, the one I go to here in Amsterdam is much cheaper than the Albert Heijn.

What does Farmboy eat, if he has no kitchenware?

Farmboy eats plenty of pre-fab food. Actually, they don't vary at all (the same every single week!!)- packaged lasagna, Dr. Oetker Texas pizza (maybe twice a week), supermarket pannekoeken (pancakes) and sometimes fish pizza.

He's hovering over my shoulder now saying "I sometimes make spaghetti and in the winter, stamppot!" :raz: (btw , his spaghetti comes from Knorr but ok, he does make stamppot from scratch-minus the rookworst that is) ;)

He does have some kitchenware:

1 non-stick pan

some horrid pots (they smell)

3 plates

2 small plates

1 half-melted spatula

1 potato masher (this one is very good :biggrin: )

a few microwave containers (we use the lids a lot in replacement of plates!!!)

Farmboy has stated that he will NEVER allow his picture to be posted on the internet. Ah vell..

ETA :

I have judged Farmboy a little too unfairly. He DOES have a rather varied taste when it comes to beer :rolleyes:

He usually drinks Grolsch (Dutch brand) or Schulten Brau (cheap German beer) but this is what is in his fridge at the moment:

gallery_28660_3809_36319.jpg

Dr. Oetker Texas pizza (maybe twice a week)...

OK, you pretty much have to explain what "Texas pizza" is to our American eGullet friends, since it's something you would never ever find in Texas...probably "fish pizza" as well... :hmmm:

There's a ubiquitous brand of frozen pizza here called "Big Americans", I'm not kidding, no apostrophe and everything. I'm wondering if this "Texas pizza" is one of their offerings....

This disturbing Texas fetish is very recent and extends to (or possibly originated with) multinationals like Burger King, who now offer a "Texas-style" Whopper with BBQ sauce and jarred jalapeños...

mem

ETA: I can't say you'd "never" find it in Texas, but it's really got nothing to do with Texas...I guess that's my point if I've got one.

Mei, you're going to have to whip Farmboy into shape in terms of his kitchen accessories.

Do you know how many generations both sides of your family have been living in Malaysia? I think it would be interesting for some people to realize just how deeply rooted the Baba/Nyonya community is in the Malay Peninsula. Just as a side note, I knew a Chinese restaurant owner in Kuala Terengganu in the 70s (no-one I know uses the expression "Chinese-Malaysian") who told us in response to a question that his family had been in Terengganu for nine generations! Even so, many Malaysians still don't consider him to be fully "native" to the country. He was not from the Baba community, but his roots in Malaysia are a lot longer than my roots in America (3rd/4th generation).

OK, gotta get ready for class now. Enjoy your evening!

Michael aka "Pan"

Texas pizza is really what Americans term 'peperoni pizza'..or at least that's what Malaysian Pizza Hut calls it anyway :raz:

Fish pizza is uh fish pizza! Cheese,tuna flakes, onions.. I like it a lot.

---------

My mother's family moved here in the early 1900s but my father's family...hmmm.. I really don't know but most Baba Nyonyas (also known as Straits Born Chinese) originated from Princess Hang Li Po's (somewhere in the 1400s) contingent of male servants (I believe there were 200 men). These men married local (Malay) women and the descendants speak Malay with a sprinkling of Chinese words (and some words of their own). However, they are not Muslim and practice ancestor worship ..but again also visit 'bomohs' (Malay shamans) and in some ways are so much more Chinese than Malaysian Chinese :hmmm:

They have developed their own unique cuisine throughout the years, utilising local herbs,spices and fruits. Most of the dishes are time consuming ;)

Baba Nyonya families are very very protective of family recipes :raz:

You can see some pictures on this thread I started more than a year ago.

Anyway, we hosted him and he was very nice. A few weeks before he left, he taught my mum how to make Bavarian roast pork (his grandfather's recipe). This has become a regular on my dining table back home (Mum makes it at least once a fortnight).

Today, I used beef because of what I told you happened at the butcher's  :smile:

Is that mustard in there with the carrots and onions? Can you give a brief overview of the ingredients and prep?

I sometimes add a little sour cream into the final gravy; other flavorings for the meat are garlic, paprika and caraway seeds. This is just for one type of Austrian pork roast I learned from my Mom.

The little jellies are very pretty. Are these sold in a refrigerated section of the store as is?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Is that mustard in there with the carrots and onions?  Can you give a brief overview of the ingredients and prep? 

I sometimes add a little sour cream into the final gravy; other flavorings for the meat are garlic, paprika and caraway seeds.  This is just for one type of Austrian pork roast I learned from my Mom.

The little jellies are very pretty.  Are these sold in a refrigerated section of the store as is?

The roast beef recipe will be posted asap.

Those jellies are (or were) really popular in Malaysia. Putting some kind of seed in them is also common (they look like kiwi seeds). My mum sent me some Konnyaku powder along with the molds via my friend. I added sugar ,lemon essence and of course the fruits.

Markus' Bavarian Roast Pork/Beef

For approx. 1kg of meat (the part between the neck and shoulder)

Ingredients:

Mustard

jintan putih (cumin)

2-3 shallots (chopped)

1 clove garlic (chopped)

1 chicken cube (or your own)

some carrots and potatoes (I didn't put this because I made mashed potatoes as a side dish)

salt and pepper

1) Cut some slits on the fatty part and rub a little salt and pepper all over the meat. Then slather the mustard ( any kind really..my mother uses American mustard, I used Honey Mustard the first time I made this and French Mustard today.. Honey mustard is less strong though) all over the meat (Don't drown it but don't be too stingy either!)

2) Lightly sprinkle some cumin

3) Mix in the onions, garlic,carrots and potatoes and bake at 200 degrees celscious for 30-45 minutes (until the meat is a bit roasted and the onions have turn brown).

4) Melt the chicken cube in some hot water. Pour this over the meat (the mixture should be about 1 inch high), reduce the oven to 100-120 degrees celscious and bake for another 2 hours (about 45 minutes-1hour less for beef).

Again, if anyone tries this, please PM me or tell us here. No one has ever tried ANYTHING of mine and I want to know! :angry:

Ok, time for some Malaysian food! Here's the dreaded Pak Chan soup.

gallery_16307_215_48665.jpg

Called "the most vile thing ever" by Mei, and seconded by Teepee, I have to respectfully disagree. I fact, I had two bowls. I confess that I did add one spoon of brown sugar, but actually, I really like it, in the same way I like Bat Kut Teh which it kind of reminds me of. All dark and herbal and mysterious.

So there, I did try something of yours! But wait, what about the spacecake report?

Edited by Abra (log)

Ok, time for some Malaysian food!  Here's the dreaded Pak Chan soup.

gallery_16307_215_48665.jpg

Called "the most vile thing ever" by Mei, and seconded by Teepee, I have to respectfully disagree.  I fact, I had two bowls.  I confess that I did add one spoon of brown sugar, but actually, I really like it, in the same way I like Bat Kut Teh which it kind of reminds me of.  All dark and herbal and mysterious.

So there, I did try something of yours!  But wait, what about the spacecake report?

Abra, wow! It looks very authentic! I can't believe you like it... I like Bak Kut Teh too but Pak Chan is...urghhh.. My mum tried to feed me this 4-5 times before she gave up and every single time, I poured it down the sink when she wasn't looking! :wink:

Regarding the Herbie, my spacecake , I've just pop 1/9th of him in my mouth. Have to wait 45 minutes or so before anything happens *giggles*. Oh but it didn't taste so bad, I couldn't really taste the hash (probably because of the walnuts). The brownies were quite fudgy but I reckon this is because I didn't bake it long enough ...

Hey, will you tell me why sometimes it's spelled BaT kut teh and sometimes BaK kut teh? Is it one of those sounds that just doesn't quite exist in English?

I'm making the Taipan chicken tonight.