• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocoholic

Hello Everyone,

I'm new around here but wanted to get started chatin with everyone. I am a chocolatier and was wondering if we had any chocolate lovers on this forum. I have been in contact with a few chocolatiers in your region(canada) and love to meet other with the same interests. Well if anyone is a chocoholic then reply!!!

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

p.s. Anyone know of any good Chocolatiers or chocolate manufacturers in Canada?

chocolate. good. yes. :)

Toronto-wise, there are quite a few artisanals in the city which have received a lot of praise. Soma Chocolates and JS Bonbons run off the top of my head. There's also Eitelbach and Sen5es (based out of BC though).

I think there's a list already somewhere in this forum of Chocolate places to go!

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

Oh yes,

I have actually heard of Soma Chocolate before. They are newer arn't they? have you had the chance to try their chocolate? I was wondering how good it was...

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

The owner of Soma has interests similar to you - beans to bar. He conches and produces a couple of interesting dark chocolates. To date he hasn't started making milk chocolate. I have the same issue with his chocolate that I do with my own homemade bean to bar. It's a bit one dimensional. And a bit bitter in my view.

This is an old thread on chocolatiers and chocolate available in Toronto:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=83670&hl=

chocolate. good. yes. :)

Toronto-wise, there are quite a few artisanals in the city which have received a lot of praise. Soma Chocolates and JS Bonbons run off the top of my head. There's also Eitelbach and Sen5es (based out of BC though).

I think there's a list already somewhere in this forum of Chocolate places to go!

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

I haven't had Soma chocolates yet, (really must go...), and I have had JS BonBons. JS is pretty good, though I'd like to try a few more. Didn't eat too many at the time and it was about a year ago now. Sadly, I don't have any super "WOW" moments with them.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

I haven't had Soma chocolates yet, (really must go...), and I have had JS BonBons. JS is pretty good, though I'd like to try a few more. Didn't eat too many at the time and it was about a year ago now. Sadly, I don't have any super "WOW" moments with them.

JS Bonbons chocolates are notable for her use of herbs in them. She uses thyme, Tarragon, and black pepper as well as other herbs to make some very interesting truffles and bonbons.

The one WOW moment with her chocolates for me was her sea salt and caramel chocolate . . . since then I have experienced this combination elsewhere . . . but . . .well . .. nothing compares to your first time . . . .:))))