• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate in BC

Sugar Art in Steveston (Richmond), BC has several single origin chocolates in Pastilles form by Cacao Barry. Prices are reasonable if you need only small quantities (1 kg boxes). Cash and cheque.

Karen Dar Woon

• 8 months later...
Since no one has mentioned it here, I'll throw out Monde Chocolat at Burrard and 7th in Kitsilano. Chocolate of every description from around the world and a very tasty line of their own. Worth a visit just to ogle the tempting products and inhale the heavenly smell, but I bet you won't leave without a purchase!

I finally had a chance to pop in and check Monde Chocolat out today (after walking by several times and peering in the window). All I can say is "wow". They have an amazing selection, and they're really making an effort to carry the world's best chocolates. I thought I'd just pick up 2 or 3 bars, but it wasn't long before the woman working there came up to me with a shopping basket to relieve me of my armful. So far I've just tried one of their truffles made with their own signature chocolate. Again, "wow".

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

• 4 months later...

I've got chocolate on the brain....

Does anyone frequent Cocoanymph on W. 10th near Alma?

They have really good artisan chocolates and the thickest, richest hot chocolates anywhere in the city that I've tried.

I'm wondering if anyone has taken chocolate classes here in Vancouver (or anywhere in N. America) and has any recommendations?

Also, does anyone have any chocolate books to recommend?

:cool:

They have really good artisan chocolates and the thickest, richest hot chocolates anywhere in the city that I've tried.

I'm wondering if anyone has taken chocolate classes here in Vancouver (or anywhere in N. America) and has any recommendations?

I give chocolate workshops, but these are geared towards larger parties of 6 and more.

Sugar Arts in Steveston does give 1 on 1 chocolate classes, and then there are the professional classes/school run by Cacoa-Barry in Quebec.

One of the best books on chocolate is P. Grewling's "Chcocolates and Confections", I picked mine up at Barbara Jo's on Granville Island.

I also o/o a artisan chocolate and pastry store in E. Vancouver. You can e-mail me for the website.

Northwest Culinary Academy was going to be offering a 2-day chocolate course for amateurs in March but I just looked on their calendar and it isn't there anymore. I have e-mailed them and if it's still a go I'll let you know.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden