• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate in BC

Hello Everyone,

I'm new around here but wanted to get started chatin with everyone. I am a chocolatier and was wondering if we had any chocolate lovers on this forum. I have been in contact with a few chocolatiers in your region(canada) and love to meet other with the same interests. Well if anyone is a chocoholic then reply!!!

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

p.s. Anyone know of any good Chocolatiers or chocolate manufacturers in Canada?

Hello Everyone,

I'm new around here but wanted to get started chatin with everyone. I am a chocolatier and was wondering if we had any chocolate lovers on this forum. I have been in contact with a few chocolatiers in your region(canada) and love to meet other with the same interests. Well if anyone is a chocoholic then reply!!!

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

p.s.  Anyone know of any good Chocolatiers or chocolate manufacturers in Canada?

Hi, Robert. Welcome. There's plenty of chocolate to be found in the city, but my favorite chocoalte hangout is Chocoatl in Yaletown - http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=83181

A great source for chocolte bars (they say they'll be bringin in Amedei for the Christmas holidays) is Meinhardts on Granville St.

I hosted a chocolate party earlier this year and Ling was kind enough to put together a threat with pics -

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=85197&hl=

I've been meaning to host another one for some time now, but have been too busy to organize one. Maybe in early 2007.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Wow you guys had a lot of chocolate at that tasting party! A LOT!  Did you guys try every single chocolate? Lots of great chocolates there too...What city are you exactly from by the way?

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

I'm in Vancouver, Canada. I didn't get around to tasting all of the chocolates that night but, suffice it to say, there were leftovers. My favorite chocolate bar is the Amedei Chuao. Check it out.

www.josephmallozzi.wordpress.com

Question for you guys up in Canada...

Do you guys have an interenet company that is a distributor for fine chocolate bars? In the USA we have chocosphere.com and worldwidechocolate.com but I havent found any for my neighbor to the north. I am very interested in this and would like any info on companies that would distributor fine chocolate(like chocolate bars, guittard, amedei, valrhona, callebaut, scharffenberger....)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

Do you guys have an interenet company that is a distributor for fine chocolate bars? In the USA we have chocosphere.com and worldwidechocolate.com but I havent found any for my neighbor to the north. I am very interested in this and would like any info on companies that would distributor fine chocolate(like chocolate bars, guittard, amedei, valrhona, callebaut, scharffenberger....)

Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

I can't think of an internet company here in Canada. I pick mine up or have it delivered from Qzina in Toronto.

Robert,

Try Wild Sweets, they have some very interesting chocolates you can order on-line.

Interesting... I have heard good things about their chocolates.. but.. I have to say the batch of truffles I picked up at Edible BC on Granville Island were less than stellar. Not sure if this was a bad batch, or just something I was not used to. Very strange texture, hard on the outside and somewhat marshmallowy in the middle. Ultimately, the texture seemed artificial and was not pleasing. Perhaps, just not to my taste, but at $27 a box, I'd think long and hard about buying them again.

On another note, a friend of mine swears by their chocolate bars..... perhaps that is the better bet.

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Do you guys have an interenet company that is a distributor for fine chocolate bars? In the USA we have chocosphere.com and worldwidechocolate.com  but I havent found any for my neighbor to the north. I am very interested in this and would like any info on companies that would distributor fine chocolate(like chocolate bars, guittard, amedei, valrhona, callebaut, scharffenberger....)

Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

Never heard of one.. perhaps there is an untapped market for you...........

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I'm aware of www.chocodirect.com ... but that's about it apart from the ones already mentioned.

Chocodirect seems to fit the bill that Robert was inquiring about. They only ship within Canada and charge a flat fee of just over $5. Shipping to Vancouver is about 5 business days. Great clearance section, nice folks and they're very generous with freebies.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Robert,

Try Wild Sweets, they have some very interesting chocolates you can order on-line.

Interesting... I have heard good things about their chocolates.. but.. I have to say the batch of truffles I picked up at Edible BC on Granville Island were less than stellar. Not sure if this was a bad batch, or just something I was not used to. Very strange texture, hard on the outside and somewhat marshmallowy in the middle. Ultimately, the texture seemed artificial and was not pleasing. Perhaps, just not to my taste, but at $27 a box, I'd think long and hard about buying them again.

I had a chance to try them at Lord Balthazar's chocolate extravaganza. :smile: The shells are indeed very thick--much thicker than standard filled chocolates and truffles.

I checked out chocodirect.com and they had a few chocolate bars but were missing quite a few. There's gotta be some distributor in Canada for fine chocolate bars....I will keep searching...let me know if you guys find anything...Thanks for the help so far...

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

Has ayone tried Chocolatas?  I've seen Wim Tas on City Cooks - but I have not tried their product.  Looks interesting - and my client can get a 15% discount if the order is large enough. 

Located out in the Fraser Valley (Langley I think?)

They had a booth in the Public Market on Granville Island last weekend, but I didn't succumb. If they are back this weekend, I'll do a taste test and report back here.

Cheers,

Anne

Has ayone tried Chocolatas?  I've seen Wim Tas on City Cooks - but I have not tried their product.  Looks interesting - and my client can get a 15% discount if the order is large enough. 

Located out in the Fraser Valley (Langley I think?)

I've met Wim Tas a few times and have visited his retail shop. His retail store and production facility are co-located with his residence in Abbotsford. He did well in the bonbon category the last two years at the Salon Du Chocolat competition. He received a bronze medal this year and either a silver or bronze last year.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

• 2 weeks later...

I got to sample a little of Wim Tas's chocolates today and they were very very good. Some of the flavors were particularly interesting - rose infused and earl grey infused ganaches. The flavorings were subtle but present - and did a nice job of accentuating the dark chocolate. It reminded me of the stuff you can get from RichArt (sp?) - but less showy.

If you get a chance to sample them when they are at GI on the weekend - do so. I think they are pretty darn good. Oh - but I was mistaken on getting a discount (see above) - still I will be getting some this year for the holiday season.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

• 11 months later...

Has anyone tried the Thomas Haas bars?

I got a couple today - the 67% cocoa and the Chai Milk Chocolate bar.

gallery_25348_1380_1623.jpg

The dark was outstanding - lots of winey cassis notes. The Chai bar had lots of assam tea and cardomon flavors. However - at $4.50 a bar (for 54g) it felt a little pricey (perhaps I'm cheap).

I got the bars directly from the Thomas Haas store - but I've seen them at Whole Foods and I would think that Urban Fare would carry them.

However - at $4.50 a bar (for 54g) it felt a little pricey (perhaps I'm cheap).

At $83/kilo, it does seem exorbitant. Even if Haas is using Valrhona.

Not that I don't enjoy his other chocolates.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I got the bars directly from the Thomas Haas store - but I've seen them at Whole Foods and I would think that Urban Fare would carry them.

We carry them down at Granville Island and I am shocked at how many bars we go through. That being said, I am not a huge chocolate fan, and even I find the 73% crunchy bar with the nibs in it amazing and highly addictive.

However, I still think his sparkle cookies are the best chocolate indulgence.

Since no one has mentioned it here, I'll throw out Monde Chocolat at Burrard and 7th in Kitsilano. Chocolate of every description from around the world and a very tasty line of their own. Worth a visit just to ogle the tempting products and inhale the heavenly smell, but I bet you won't leave without a purchase!