• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Styling for the home chef

thecuriousone

Hi All-

I am a passionate home cook. I want my food to look gorgeous as much as the next person, probably more so. My question however is whether its realistic to expect my food to look like the pages of the cooking magazines.

I raise this question because in the November 06 Gourmet, Ruth Reichl speaks to what is involved in creating the yearly thanksgiving article. She speaks of the "several" turkeys that "auditioned" for the final picture. There were several references made to the "food stylists". I look at my copy and wonder, "Darn, why cant I get my turkey to look like that" never thinking that it took them 15 turkeys to get there. There is a picture of a chestnut parsnip puree that does not look appetizing at all in the picture, but I have to admit I wondered, "Gee, how did some real food sneak through?"

Should I view the the pages of cooking magazines as the "Runway couture" that is never meant to be copied to everyday use as shown? Another example is the salad created by Alfred Portale and highlighted in the Gotham City cookbook. I've never gotten it to work at home.

I continually strive to hone my skills, stocks and braises come out pretty well, if not as shiny as what I see in the mags. And my food tastes good. Should that be enough? Am I just chasing a dream that no home cook catches or should I just book myself in the next cooking school slot?

I love that course.

But also remember that not all the food we see in magazines or books is actually edible. The stylists use tricks to make things look as good as they do. I'm not saying that food at home can't look as good, or close to, what you're seeing - but keep this in mind.

Whenever I think of trying to get a "look" for food being served, I have to remind myself of that old trick in which scoops of vanilla icecream pristinely sitting in a cone, one atop another, were, in fact, really scoops of white shortening ... and then I realize that no one other than myself will have any idea of just "how" the food "should" look ... if it is nicely presented and garnished, I am supremely satisfied ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Tricks of the Trade .... shhhh! :laugh:

Maple syrup soaks into pancakes and goes a nasty dark colour — but not when you’ve sprayed the pancakes with fabric protector. 

Anyone who’s served up a slice of pie knows how it can disintegrate before you get it to the plate. Make it more stable by baking a pie full of instant mashed potato, then cut a slice, scoop out a little potato and put the filling on the side — 

If you want a perfect drip of sauce glistening on the side of your dessert, use a small piece of soft wax shaped like a drop and put it in place, then coat the drop with sauce for a perfect mid-drip shot.

and even though you make it look incredibly delicious, remember not to eat it! :unsure:

How things look may be, and often is, quite deceiving!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Reminds me of what my Daddy always said about my Aunt E's baking. Quite a few lesson in decorating and styling had made her famous in her small pond, but her quality was a bit lacking. Every time she brought one to a family dinner, they'd steal the show, but show was all they had.

He'd mumble after she left, "She makes the purtiest cakes, but they don't taste worth a durn."