• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whistling Kettle

Kerry Beal

The plastic handle on the lid of my OXO goodgrips whistling kettle is about to pack it in. The company has been good enough before to replace an entire kettle for the same problem. but that was a few years ago and they don't make that style anymore.

I would love some recommendations for a new kettle. I prefer a kind where there is some sort of lever that lifts the cover on the spout as I don't care to have a whistle that I have to put my hand in hot steam to remove.

Any thoughts?

I don't understand why Americans have not moved to Electric Kettles yet. Is there any reason you prefer the old-fashioned type?

I'm Canadian (and a girl) and I have a gas stove which allows me to boil a kettle rather quickly. If I had an electric kettle that didn't whistle it would just turn itself off and I'd never get around to making my tea. I need the whistle to take me away from whatever has distracted me while I'm boiling the water.

I rely on a whistling tea kettle as well, as I, too, distract easily.

I've used a stainless steel Chantal model for about 15 years. It's expensive, but it's easy to clean and durable. The whistle sounds like a train whistle, and it's loud enough that I can hear it from any part of the house. I love it!

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

The

Berkshire Whistling Tea Kettle

Our whistling tea kettles are handcrafted in England of solid copper with pure tin lining. The kettle holds 2 quarts and its flat base design is usable on either gas or electric stoves. The harmonious whistle emits from a small slit in the lid. Wood handles. Choose copper (CP) or chrome (CH) finish. Stands approximately 8.5"H

is the one I have and love! details here

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The

Our whistling tea kettles are handcrafted in England of solid copper with pure tin lining. The kettle holds 2 quarts and its flat base design is usable on either gas or electric stoves. The harmonious whistle emits from a small slit in the lid. Wood handles. Choose copper (CP) or chrome (CH) finish. Stands approximately 8.5"H

Ooooh, that's a pretty one. Since the whistle comes from a slit in the lid, do you need to use a hotpad once the water's boiling?

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

The

I have a copper one that must be the same as this one. They come in a couple of sizes, and also in a design made specifically for gas (coiled copper wire sandwiched on the bottom). I use it daily and like it a lot. I don't bother to polish the copper, but some can't tolerate unpolished copper. Another consideration is that this one makes a fairly soft whistle, so it may not be loud enough to be heard all over your house, if that's important to you. But no burned fingers. I got mine at Williams-Sonoma and have seen them at Sur La Table, but there are probably several sources for them.

I'm afraid I still use an old fashioned Revere tea kettle with the copper bottom. It's a six cup model that fits perfectly and snugly over the small sized burner on my electric stove. I bought it at a kitchen store closing sale for very little, and the whistle when it's boiling can be heard in the computer room. It has a spring loaded button/lever thing for lifting the lid on the spout. They apparently have some fancier models now, too.

I don't and won't have an electric tea kettle because I do not have any more counter space for appliances. The Revere kettle lives on the stove.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I, too, have a Revere whistling kettle. I used it for 20+ years. I stopped using it when I got a hot water dispenser. I kept it on the stove for awhile but then I realized I never used it anymore. I love the dispenser.

Also Canadian, and grew up in a household where we only ever had electric kettles. When I first moved out on my own, my very own electric kettle was one of my first purchases. Honestly? I didn't even know you could still get the on-the-stove variety. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they existed! I couldn't wait to switch over. As mentioned upthread, I only have room for so many appliances on my counter, and the kettle looks so pretty sitting on the stove. This is the one I have, except in black. I love that the spout opens automatically when it's tilted, but the whistle is kinda harsh.

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

The

I have a copper one that must be the same as this one. They come in a couple of sizes, and also in a design made specifically for gas (coiled copper wire sandwiched on the bottom). I use it daily and like it a lot. I don't bother to polish the copper, but some can't tolerate unpolished copper. Another consideration is that this one makes a fairly soft whistle, so it may not be loud enough to be heard all over your house, if that's important to you. But no burned fingers. I got mine at Williams-Sonoma and have seen them at Sur La Table, but there are probably several sources for them.

We have the same one..ironically it replaced my old Oxo one. No burned fingers here either.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I don't understand why Americans have not moved to Electric Kettles yet. Is there any reason you prefer the old-fashioned type?

It's a tradition. I'm Canadian. I grew up with a whistling kettle and when I got married 14 years ago my mom gave me hers and it still sits on my stove. It just looks right there and makes a place feel and sound like home.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden