• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question for the pros...Filling pastry forms

gfron1

I'm sure there are many others besides the pros who can answer this question...

Ever since I started using forms and molds (which my first time was the orange exotic), I have had trouble filling the form completely for a perfect finish. I inevitably get creases and gaps even though I push my pastry bag tip way down into the form and squeeze until the form is burping extra filling. What is the obvious basic skill that I'm missing? Here's an example from my latest:

hungarian2.jpg

Try whipping your cream for the mousse a little less -- a more fluid mixture will more readily release large air pockets. Also, give the form or the tray with the individual form on it a rap on the counter (pick up, drop) and a few taps along the circumference to encourage the air bubbles to rise out.

If you still get bubbles along the perimeter, you might also try filling the forms halfway, chilling them to soild, then filling the rest of the way.

Thanks for the tips. I'm filling my forms with all sorts of stuff...whipped cream, bavaroise, curd, custard... I'm sure there are just basics skills that most people don't even think about, and maybe I just need more patience. I'll keep piping away :)

I agree with what reenicake wrote. Deffinately lighten up on your whipping the cream. Soft peak should do it. Also, don't be afraid to press down on your cake layers when you place them in the mold. HTH

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

In addition to having the mousse more fluid than firm, I use a 2.5x3" cake pan to press down very lightly on my ring molds and 3" pans. You might want to consider getting a cylinder of solid wood (like the head of an old fashioned meat pounder) or something similar and use that to "compress" the mixture. It would work better if you were pressing against a layer of biscuit or cake.