• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sources for chocolate making supplies in Australia

There are a number of threads here on eGullet that showcase amazing looking chocolate truffles and bonbons created by members. I have been making chocolate truffles for a while now, and these threads have inspired me to take my chocolate making further. Unfortunately, it seems that there is a distinct lack of resources and support for chocolate makers in Australia. I am forced to buy polycarbonate moulds and coloured cocoa butter from Chef Rubber in America, and of course, shipping costs are quite high! At the moment, I am using Callebaut semi-sweet, milk, and white chocolates. I can buy them in bulk 2.5kg bags, and am happy with them, but would love a greater variety of high quality chocolates to choose from (and buy in bulk). I haven't been able to find any sources for gianduja, unsweetened chocolate, or high quality hazelnut or almond pastes. I also have had not any luck trying to find invert sugar (Trimoline or Nulomoline) in sizes less than 20kg, or invertase.

So, are Australian chocolate makers left with no choice but to look overseas for supplies, or are there sources in Australia (preferably online) that I am not aware of? I would really appreciate any advice or assistance! Cheers.

Jake

Where are you located? In Melbourne?

There seems to have been a mini-boom with boutique chocolate makers in Melbourne, so if you look them up in the yellow pages and have a chat to them, they should be able to set you off in the right direction for supplies - or they may even let you buy smaller quantities if you sweet talk them (pun intended).

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Hi Jake,

If you are in Melbourne try here:

http://www.savourschool.com.au/

Simon Johnson and The Essential Ingredient carry a decent variety of chocolate between them including gianduja.

Scullery Maid may carry some specialty hardware items - give them a ring first.

There is also a cake/candy/chocolate supply store (Cake Deco?) in the Pt Philip arcade just near Flinders St Station which sells the stuff you've been importing.

Sorry, don't know any online sources - if anyone else does please post.

Where are you located?  In Melbourne?

There seems to have been a mini-boom with boutique chocolate makers in Melbourne, so if you look them up in the yellow pages and have a chat to them, they should be able to set you off in the right direction for supplies - or they may even let you buy smaller quantities if you sweet talk them (pun intended).

Hi Daniel,

I'm in Sydney - just updated my profile!

I might just give your suggestion a try, although I've never attempted anything like that before, and would have no idea how receptive they'd be! It's always an option! Cheers, mate.

Hi Jake,

If you are in Melbourne try here:

http://www.savourschool.com.au/

Simon Johnson and The Essential Ingredient carry a decent variety of chocolate between them including gianduja.

Scullery Maid may carry some specialty hardware items - give them a ring first.

There is also a cake/candy/chocolate supply store (Cake Deco?) in the Pt Philip arcade just near Flinders St Station which sells the stuff you've been importing.

Sorry, don't know any online sources - if anyone else does please post.

I'm familiar with that place, and boy how I would love to attend some of their classes! I wish they had a branch in Sydney! I'd be there in a flash!

I'll check out Essential Ingredient. Haven't been there for a while. Last time I was at Simon Johnson, I thought they were terribly expensive, but I'll go back to have another look one day.

I've checked out the Cake Deco website. I've never been to the store, but going by their website, they don't stock polycarbonate moulds - only cheap and flimsy plastic ones. I couldn't find any coloured cocoa butter either.

Thanks for the help, mate!

if u have a chance u should get a chocolate call amadei its from tuscany ,italy no soy lecithen so is a bit rough but to temper it comes up beautiful and taste is second to none but the price makes valrohna look like peanuts but worth getting a bit to check out , callebaut has a great 70 % range called camra thats great for tempering too , food for thought good luck :) im a chef whos spent the last 18 months pastry and alot of chocolate work and i admire the chocolatiers many a bloomed chocolates have almost sent me to tears though the smiles from the mirror like perfection makes it all worth while well back to reading PH and oriel .:)

In Sydney, Essential Ingredient stocks callebaut and lindt couvertures, as far as I know. I've only ever seen Valrhona available at Simon Johnson. Haven't seen any heavy duty chocolate moulds in either of those stores. Essential Ingredient only has the cheap plastic ones. But I spotted some one-off good quality moulds at Chefs Warehouse a couple of months ago. They were on special - maybe they were seconds.

There's a company in Sydney called Deshel that stocks to the hospitality industry.. I don't know if they do retail as well, but they have gianduja, nut pastes, Boiron purees etc.

I know the Essential Ingredient in Melbourne sells polycarbonate moulds. It also sells premade fondant, marzipan, corn syrup and candied fruit/peel among other things. They stock Callebaut, Lindt and Kennedy & Wilson couvertures.

• 2 months later...

I feel your pain! I live in brisbane and I also found it hard to find anything. I have found polycarbonate molds at executive chef. They charge about $60. Does anyone know if this is a decent price? Or is it a total rort? I also found Lindt coverture at an IGA of all places! But I have never found invertase anywhere. So, being poor, I unfortunately have to deal with crap plastic molds for now or hand rolling truffles. If anyone is ever near Bellingen (near coffs harbor) they have an organic hippy store called koomble or something wierd. They have a great range of organic and free trade chocolate and sell this bulk organic chocolate made with cane sugar etc dunno where it's from but I only tried the white and it was awesome.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

I wouldn't say that $60 for polycarbonate moulds are a rort, considering how hard they are to find in Australia. The only place I know that sells them has them for about the same price, and only has 3 different shapes. Having said that, I don't think that $60 for polycarbonate moulds is a decent price. Many US online stores sell them for ~US$20-25. Of course, you have to factor in shipping costs as well, but it still works out to be cheaper to buy from overseas.

I wouldn't say that $60 for polycarbonate moulds are a rort, considering how hard they are to find in Australia. The only place I know that sells them has them for about the same price, and only has 3 different shapes. Having said that, I don't think that $60 for polycarbonate moulds is a decent price. Many US online stores sell them for ~US$20-25. Of course, you have to factor in shipping costs as well, but it still works out to be cheaper to buy from overseas.

You can order molds directly from the manufacturer JKV. Their website is www.jkvnl.com.

It sometimes takes a while to get tem because they haven't any made up.

Also try this vendor on e-bay. Used molds, but most are in good shape. His english is not great. La boutique du Choclatier