• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 mixers or 2 bowls

vilasman

Thanks andi!

Since you are the hostess with the mostest, if you admire something I have I know I am really on target!

No, that wasn't the source of my 2nd KA G. I watched this one too. But I remember when the seller bought this mixer [she is on 2 forums I frequent and we have "talked" via email], and the finish was great in places, but real bad in others with rust.

Mine has an all over pin mark finish, but no rust. I also "know" the seller of mine from three forums we are both members of, and email contact for over a year before I bought anything from him. He went over my mixer with a fine tooth comb, and insured it is in excellent mechanical condition -- new grease and fuse included. My seller also packed a vintage mixer as it should always be packed.

The mixer was in a box just large enough for it and tons of bubble wrap taped down carefully. Then, this box was put into a wood crate surrounded by bagged foam popcorn. Finally, this crate was boxed with a real heavy cardboard box.

It took me an hour and a lot of sweat to unearth this carefully packed mixer from its cushioned cocoon!

However I did buy one of the new 6 qt Pros,  but only because it is copper, to add to my collection of copper appliances.  KA, Hamilton Beach stand mixers, Sunbeam hand mixer, Continental blender, Sunbeam deep fryer, Toastmaster electric percolator, International Silver(the brand, the urn is copper) coffee urn with accesories & tray, Manning-Bowman buffet server/chafer, Salton-Hostess warming trays-2, Toastmaster toasters-2, Manning-Bowman double waffle irons on integral tray, Sunbeam electric skillets, 1 round, 1 square, Suisse-Alba bun/bread warmer, Hamilton Beach malt mixer, Sunbeam electric knife, Sunbeam can opener. 

gallery_17399_60_6315.jpg

What can I say, I started out with just a couple of things, then couldn't resist adding to them.  I need 3 kitchens......maybe 4.....

:biggrin:

Congrats on the copper kitchenaid!

I am so glad you bought a 6qt KA! Now you can give some great feedback to the forum on your actual experience with a K5A and your new model.

Like, which mixer does what better. I am really interested in hearing your thoughts on the two mixers. I am sure your comparisons will be worth waiting for.

Thanks andi!

Since you are the hostess with the mostest, if you admire something I have I know I am really on target!

No, that wasn't the source of my 2nd KA G.  I watched this one too.   But I remember when the seller bought this mixer [she is on 2 forums I frequent and we have "talked" via email], and the finish was great in places, but real bad in others with rust.

Mine has an all over pin mark finish, but no rust.  I also "know" the seller of mine from three forums we are both members of, and email contact for over a year before I bought anything from him.  He went over my mixer with a fine tooth comb, and insured it is in excellent mechanical condition -- new grease and fuse included.  My seller also packed a vintage mixer as it should always be packed.

The mixer was in a box just large enough for it and tons of bubble wrap taped down carefully.  Then, this box was put into a wood crate surrounded by bagged foam popcorn.  Finally, this crate was boxed with a real heavy cardboard box. 

It took me an hour and a lot of sweat to unearth this carefully packed mixer from its cushioned cocoon!

I don't know where you live, but surely there is a custom motorcycle shop somewhere near. I have an excellent relationship with "the guys" at a local "Hog" shop where they have re-chromed some of my vintage appliances that were otherwise in good working condition. I have some thin ceramic adhesive plaques that I engrave with the date and what was done and stick them on the bottom so that if they ever are sold, the information about the repair will be there.

The guy that does my appliance repair takes the "innards" out and removes the handles, buttons, etc.

They do a beautiful job and in spite of their somewhat "rugged" appearance, they have been very nice to me. (Of course I take them cookies and other goodies when I drop something off or pick up an item.)

Also I know the true name of one of the guys, who would be mortified if his buddies knew it.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

However I did buy one of the new 6 qt Pros,  but only because it is copper, to add to my collection of copper appliances.  KA, Hamilton Beach stand mixers, Sunbeam hand mixer, Continental blender, Sunbeam deep fryer, Toastmaster electric percolator, International Silver(the brand, the urn is copper) coffee urn with accesories & tray, Manning-Bowman buffet server/chafer, Salton-Hostess warming trays-2, Toastmaster toasters-2, Manning-Bowman double waffle irons on integral tray, Sunbeam electric skillets, 1 round, 1 square, Suisse-Alba bun/bread warmer, Hamilton Beach malt mixer, Sunbeam electric knife, Sunbeam can opener. 

What can I say, I started out with just a couple of things, then couldn't resist adding to them.  I need 3 kitchens......maybe 4.....

I am so glad you bought a 6qt KA! Now you can give some great feedback to the forum on your actual experience with a K5A and your new model.

Like, which mixer does what better. I am really interested in hearing your thoughts on the two mixers. I am sure your comparisons will be worth waiting for.

I don't have it yet, it is being shipped from New York and the guy told me he was double-boxing it. Actually a triple as the KA box is already in a cardboard box and they are adding a double-thickness butressed cardboard box, whatever that is....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't have it yet, it is being shipped from New York and the guy told me he was double-boxing it. Actually a triple as the KA box is already in a cardboard box and they are adding a double-thickness butressed cardboard box, whatever that is....

I bought one of these during the Williams-Sonoma sale this summer for $274. The copper colored finish had actually "leaked" onto the styrofoam in the box, but Kitchenaid sent me a new one. Anyways, it goes with my kitchen more than my previous yellow 4.5 qt.

Going back to the original topic, I've always wanted a second bowl which I think I'll use more than both mixers (unless I'm baking up a storm). Luckily, the free extra bowl offer was in effect when I purchased mine.

ETA: Does anyone know if copper inserts or bowls are sold anywhere for a reasonable price? French Copper Studio sells them for $198+, but that's a bit more than I'd like to pay.

Edited by mukki (log)

There is no other source for new copper bowls for a KA that I know of.

The Bridge Kitchenware 5qt bowl like in my photo has been discontinued.

The Atlas or Old Dutch 5qt and 4 1/2 qt bowl liners haven't been made for several years.

They go from $80 up to 130 on Ebay.

...That being said, I also have a fairly large kitchen with plenty of room for several people to work without gettin in each other's way (most of the time).  Plus I have a room-sized pantry with a 22 x 72-inch butcher block table which can be used when needed...

Wow, too cool. When can I schedule some time in your kitchen?? :raz:

No but I love to get a couple mixers going at the same time.

I play, "Dueling Banjos" in my brain over the racket...

du du du du du dum.

du du du du du dum.

dah dah dah dee dah dee dah dee dah dee

dah dah dah dee dah dee dah dee dah dee~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I say the more mixers the merrier and you just can't have too many extra bowls. :wub: