• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 mixers or 2 bowls

vilasman

I have a 6 qt bowl lift Kitchen aid already. I dont have a lot of counter space. Any sane person would not be considering another Kitchen aid. Now that we have established that, for those of you who have more than one mixer....If I get a second bowl for my 6qt, will i kick myself later and wish that I had gone on and gotten another mixer.

Really I just want a tilt head and I am tempted to get a pink one to support breast cancer and such.

But would I really be better served by getting another bowl or 2?

I have 2 mixers: a tilt-head KitchenAid (fairly new and not nearly as hefty as your 6-quart job) and a Hamilton Beach with all the original equipment that's a couple of years older than I am. I've never entertained the notion of using both mixers at once. I realize they aren't equivalent, but they both do the job. It's just much too much fuss to get both out, and I don't have enough counter space to set them both up at once.

Why not get an extra bowl or two and an extra set (or two) of beaters? You don't need 2 motors or 2 stands. Extra beaters are nice, though, so you don't have to clean them when you're switching bowls. The beaters and bowls together would be cheaper and require less storage space than if you get an extra mixer. Remember, too, that if you get a different mixer then you're looking at 2 whole sets of equipment, most of which can't be swapped from one mixer to the other.

As for the pink mixer: gaah. Granted, I'm not fond of the color. Aside from that, I have to ask: why not just donate the money directly to American Cancer Society, or to a particular breast cancer research program? For far less money spent you'd direct a lot more money to the institute of choice.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Why do you want a tilt-head mechanism? Is that the only reason you're considering a second mixer? You could always sell your existing KA and buy something else and not invest in a second set of bowls/beaters.....

I have two sets of bowls and beaters and whips for my KA; comes in very handy.

Well, confession.... I inherited the junky gene from my mom...

Also I am an electrician and I have 2 battery drills, and 3, I guess you would call them, regular drills, and I am planning on getting a 4th,(the kind you put a bit in and drill metal or wood or whatever) and then 2 drills for brick and concrete and I see myself getting 2 more.

Now there are times when I will have 3 or 4 of them out at the same time. One to turn screws, one light one to go through joist and not make my arm hurt, one heavy one for situations that the light one wont go through like, 4 or 5 joist together and a masonry drill for that block wall that got in my way. Granted anyone of them given the right bit and enough time, would go through any of that stuff, but who wants to take the time.

Besides you wear yourself out using the heavy drill for everything, and you wear your tool out using the light drill for everything.

I also have to residences, neither of which has a large kitchen. The farm, everyone comes to a few times a year and for funerals and reunions and DW is the best cook in the family. The condo, we have had people over every weekend for a month now and she dosent seem to be slowing down.

I guess multiple bowls and beaters would work, and save space, but last night, I used my K/A to whip or mix about 8 things in rapid succession, as soon as I finished one and got it in the oven, and could rinse the bowl and the paddle I was onto something else. With two mixers, it seems like I could have mix one, turned that over to my wife to finish, mix the next thing, she takes that over and I am back to the first. We would take turns. We have 2 counters and 2 cutting boards and we swap like that.

Bowls I think it will be, but I want a new toy :)

I have one KA lift mixer with an extra bowl, and one hand-held beater that lives in a drawer. I use both - but for different purposes. You have to admit, you don't always need the heavy-duty capacity of the stand mixer. Sometimes you just need to whip a bowl of cream or muck up some eggs. That's when I use the hand mixer. Why not go that route? It still gives you two mixers - you can give your wife the easy jobs with the hand mixer - and you also get to buy a new toy.

I have a 6 qt Kitchenaid and two bowls, and love that set-up. Now, if I only had one bowl, I would be far less happy. It's really nice to have a clean bowl on hand at all times, especially when making up something large. I haven't come across any circumstance as a home cook (even while doing holiday dinners or involved desserts) where I wanted or needed an additional machine, but the second bowl gets used quite a bit. I also have a stick blender with a whisk attachment that is handy for the occasional small bit of whipped cream or egg white that I need pronto but is too small for a large bowl.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I had been eyeing a new hand held K/A. I want one with a very low first speed so that I dont spray myself with flour. Think you have brought me to a solution! I collect BBB coupons for just such occasions :biggrin:

I know exactly what you mean about having multiple appliances and tools. I think I have carried it to a far greater degree, however. I am not going to confess how many drills I have because I can't remember, plus I have one of those things that cuts in any direction as well as drilling, etc.

I have a 5 qt, bowl-lift KA that is several years old and for that I have two bowls plus a copper liner, so effectively have 3 bowls because I have beaten egg whites in it, removed the liner and put that into the fridge and started right in with the now-empty bowl.

I also have a larger mixer, an Electrolux that has had various names, 8 liter bowl, very powerful, different mode of operation, perfect for bread but I have mixed cookie dough, cake batter and, with the auxilliary bowl, beaten egg whites and whipped cream.

I used to do a lot more baking than I do now and often had both mixers running at the same time.

In addition, I have a collection of "vintage" mixers and there have been times when one (or more) of them has been hauled out to handle a job when needed.

That being said, I also have a fairly large kitchen with plenty of room for several people to work without gettin in each other's way (most of the time). Plus I have a room-sized pantry with a 22 x 72-inch butcher block table which can be used when needed. It is 5 inches lower than the standard counter height to make it easier for me to use certain appliances. (I have a large meat grinder at one end that is bolted to the counter because it is difficult to move and I prefer to do the meat grinding and sausage stuffing where I don't have to stand on a step-stool.)

I always had two bowls for the KAs, I bought my first bowl-lift machine in the late '60s and went to Hobart, which had a service center and retail outlet in Van Nuys, CA., to buy a second bowl and some accessories, meat grinder, juicer, etc. I did not have a huge kitchen at that time and wouldn't have been able to fit a second mixer in a sopt where it would be convenient to use. (We started a remodel early the following year and doubled the size of that kitchen because I was not going through another holiday season of baking crowded into an inefficient space.)

I don't recall exactly when I bought the copper liner for the 5-qt KA bowl, but it was soon after they became available.

Incidentally, there is one selling on ebay at this time. Unusual, they are generally very difficult to find.

KA copper liner for 5 qt bowl.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I recommend a second (or even a third) bowl and, if needed, a second paddle (or whatever beating attachment you use the most frequently). In addition to my KA w/two bowls I also have a two good hand mixers (one of them I found at a ridiculous clearance price and couldn't pass it up :wacko: ) with two sets of beaters. Unless you do major baking projects with some regularity, that should be plenty. Actually, I've found my second full-sized food processor to be way more useful than a second mixer would be, but of course YMMV.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

How interesting about the second full sized food processor. That really befuddles me. Now i have a 11 cu K/A that came with 2 smaller bowls a 7 cu and I think it is a 3 cu, which nest. And then i have cusinart mini chopper and the braun which has the min chopper. And I used the large one and the braun friday night, and the braun and the little one last night. but what would you do with two full sized processors at ounce.

How interesting about the second full sized food processor. That really befuddles me. Now i have a 11 cu K/A that came with 2 smaller bowls a 7 cu and I think it is a 3 cu, which nest. And then i have cusinart mini chopper and the braun which has the min chopper.  And I used the large one and the braun friday night, and the braun and the little one last night.  but what would you do with two full sized processors at ounce.

Note, from left to right 11 cup, 14 cup, 20 cup.

gallery_17399_60_153879.jpg and I have had all thee running at the same time on many, many occasions.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How interesting about the second full sized food processor. That really befuddles me. Now i have a 11 cu K/A that came with 2 smaller bowls a 7 cu and I think it is a 3 cu, which nest. And then i have cusinart mini chopper and the braun which has the min chopper.  And I used the large one and the braun friday night, and the braun and the little one last night.  but what would you do with two full sized processors at ounce.

I have a larger KA and a slightly smaller Braun. Oh, and I forgot to mention my trusty Sunbeam Oscar. Sometimes it's nice having two because I like my KA dishwasher to do the cleanup (especially if I've made peanut butter) and sometimes I simply don't feel like washing one by hand right away. I've used both at the same time when baking (e.g., one for cheesecake crust, one for the filling) or cooking (one for chopping whitefish for gefilte fish, one for puréeing soup).

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have a 30-year-old 4qt Kitchenaid that belonged to my mother, a K/A hand mixer, a stick blender, a large K/A food processor with large and small bowls, and a Vitamix. I figure I'm completely covered should anything need to be mixed, mashed, pureed, chopped, or crushed.

I might need a 12-step group.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

I agree, you should just get a second mixer! Plus, another bowl for whichever one turns out to be your favorite. The amount of time you spend washing the only bowl/beater/whip you have is a waste once you get another bowl.

For two or three years, I only had one bowl for my 20 qt Hobart (at the bakeshop). I kept thinking I couldn't afford to buy a second bowl (at $200) but as soon as I decided I *had* to, I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I have two whips and two flat beaters. I can start a second job and have it running while I wash the dirty bowl/beater and the amount of time it saves me is incredible.

So... I vote for getting another mixer and a second bowl!! : :biggrin:

I have a 6 qt bowl lift Kitchen aid already. I dont have a lot of counter space. Any sane person would not be considering another Kitchen aid. Now that we have established that, for those of you who have more than one mixer....If I get a second bowl for my 6qt, will i kick myself later and wish that I had gone on and gotten another mixer.

Really I just want a tilt head and I am tempted to get a pink one to support breast cancer and such.

But would I really be better served by getting another bowl or 2?

3 bowls. 1 extra hand mixer and an old Hamilton Beach in the basement just in case. Pick one up at a garage sale for 5.00

Note, from left to right 11 cup, 14 cup, 20 cup.

gallery_17399_60_153879.jpg and I have had all thee running at the same time on many, many occasions.

I have a cusinart, a hamilton beach, a black and decker, a la machine(yup and it still works) and one still in the box that I have not ever opened. The cusinart 11 quart has 2 sets of bowls.

I know exactly what you mean about having multiple appliances and tools.  I think I have carried it to a far greater degree, however.  I am not going to confess how many drills I have because I can't remember, plus I have one of those things that cuts in any direction as well as drilling, etc. 

I have a 5 qt, bowl-lift KA that is several years old and for that I have two bowls plus a copper liner, so effectively have 3 bowls because I have beaten egg whites in it, removed the liner and put that into the fridge and started right in with the now-empty bowl. 

I also have a larger mixer, an Electrolux that has had various names, 8 liter bowl, very powerful, different mode of operation, perfect for bread but I have mixed cookie dough, cake batter and, with the auxilliary bowl, beaten egg whites and whipped cream.

I used to do a lot more baking than I do now and often had both mixers running at the same time.

In addition,  I have a collection of "vintage" mixers and there have been times when one (or more) of them has been hauled out to handle a job when needed.

That being said, I also have a fairly large kitchen with plenty of room for several people to work without gettin in each other's way (most of the time).  Plus I have a room-sized pantry with a 22 x 72-inch butcher block table which can be used when needed.  It is 5 inches lower than the standard counter height to make it easier for me to use certain appliances.  (I have a large meat grinder at one end that is bolted to the counter because it is difficult to move and I prefer to do the meat grinding and sausage stuffing where I don't have to stand on a step-stool.)

I always had two bowls for the KAs, I bought my first bowl-lift machine in the late '60s and went to Hobart, which had a service center and retail outlet in Van Nuys, CA., to buy a second bowl and some accessories, meat grinder, juicer, etc.  I did not have a huge kitchen at that time and wouldn't have been able to fit a second mixer in a sopt where it would be convenient to use.  (We started a remodel early the following year and doubled the size of that kitchen because I was not going through another holiday season of baking crowded into an inefficient space.) 

I don't recall exactly when I bought the copper liner for the 5-qt KA bowl, but it was soon after they became available.

Incidentally, there is one selling on ebay at this time.  Unusual, they are generally very difficult to find.

KA copper liner for 5 qt bowl. 

You are a girl after my own heart, I have all of the Cuisinart sizes from the mini mate up to the 20 cup! And yes, sometimes having all of them really comes in handy.

I recently bought a second chrome KA model G mixer ---circa 1930s, so I could do some multi tasking.  I also made sure I have several extra bowls [including a copper bowl] for the machines.

My Webpage

was it this one?

I was watching it but missed the last 3 hours of the auction.

However I did buy one of the new 6 qt Pros, but only because it is copper, to add to my collection of copper appliances. KA, Hamilton Beach stand mixers, Sunbeam hand mixer, Continental blender, Sunbeam deep fryer, Toastmaster electric percolator, International Silver(the brand, the urn is copper) coffee urn with accesories & tray, Manning-Bowman buffet server/chafer, Salton-Hostess warming trays-2, Toastmaster toasters-2, Manning-Bowman double waffle irons on integral tray, Sunbeam electric skillets, 1 round, 1 square, Suisse-Alba bun/bread warmer, Hamilton Beach malt mixer, Sunbeam electric knife, Sunbeam can opener.

gallery_17399_60_6315.jpg

What can I say, I started out with just a couple of things, then couldn't resist adding to them. I need 3 kitchens......maybe 4.....

Edited by andiesenji (log)

very nice!!!