• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Providence/Rhode Island Fish Mongers

I noticed a topic in NE on Boston fish markets and I thought we could stand for one on Providence. Back in the day, there were several small places throughout town, but many have gone the way of the dodo. Take, for example, the remarkable RI Fish Company, once a haven of the freshest fish (some caught by sport fishers unloading at the dock near the hurricane barrier and the Hot Club) and now a bar filled with high school girls with fake ids flirting with men working through midlife crises.

But I digress. My current favorite store by a wide margin is Freedom Seafood, on Rolfe St in Cranston. They stock only what's available, so on a given day, you might find four or five different sized clams, lobsters, crabs, and eels in the tanks, a few coolers with sea bass and flounder, and quality shrimp and scallops in the case. The staff will clean fish for you if you'd like, and when the supply is gone, it's gone. I have had only excellent experiences at Freedom, and the prices run 20-40% cheaper than most other stores on this list.

I also have gotten some good fish at Captain's Catch, specifically the one in Warwick (Click here for their website), Whole Foods on N Main and Waterman both (though their reliance on farmed crap annoys me), and -- when in a pinch -- Hemingway's, which in my experience tends to have outstanding lobster and oysters in particular.

I've also bought some really terrible stuff all over the place, which means I'm constantly looking for new ideas. So... have you got any?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Chris,

When I used to live and work in Providence, when on rice flour runs for Empire, I always used to drool at the fish found at Mekong Market on Broad Street. There was a constant flow of customers picking over their live crabs and great looking fish, although I never did buy anything cause my girlfriend would have freaked (she went with me one day, and didn't appreciate that asian market smell). Check it out, and let us know what you find!

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

You have to come to Bristol and check out Nick's fish market on Wood Street. Go on either Tuesday or Thursday after he gets back from Boston. Great selections of staples, as well as local catches in small batches, Black Bass, Tautog, Fluke and every once in a while a local brings in a Yellowfin tuna or two when they a running just off the coast in the late summer. He always has live lobsters and will bring in Nantucket Bay scallops during season, which actually begins tomorrow. Tony's seafood on Route 6 in Seekonk is another great market as is Hall's seafood on Water Street in Warren. Hall's has a brand-new location and is top-notch, but they certainly charge for quality. If you don't mind traveling, go to Ocean Fresh in Attleboro, on US1, about a mile north of the mall, they have a HUGE selection. Be wary of the small markets unless you buy it LIVE!

Edited by speidec (log)

If you don't mind traveling, go to Ocean Fresh in Attleboro, on US1, about a mile north of the mall, they have a HUGE selection.

That's a great tip! Thanks. I've driven by that place dozens of time, but never stopped in. I think I kept associating it with Fresh Catch in Mansfield, and IMO, that place really isn't great. The fish I end up taking home from there frequently smells ammonia-like to me and the staff can be surly, so I avoid it and buy at Whole Foods when possible. I'll have to check out Ocean Fresh though.

Edited by newsbabe (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I hardly want to give this away, but next summer, head for Snug Harbor Marina on Gooseberry Road in--where else--Snug Harbor (part of Wakefield). They are a small but important sports fishing marina, but they sell absolutely the best yellowfin tuna when it comes in, for absurdly low prices. Couldn't be fresher. They always have lobsters, and they sometimes have flounder, albacore, shark, even mahi mahi--depending on the catch.

This summer, there was a two week spell when one or more 800-900 lb bluefin tuna came in. Unfortunately, those are packed in ice and shipped straight off to Tokyo.

You could P.M. me next summer for a heads up on what's available; the place is about a 5 minute walk from my RI house.

• 3 weeks later...