• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Talk 2002

jordyn

Haven't been to a Thai restaurant in the US that was halfway decent, so while I freely admit that NY Thai restaraunts suck, so do SF's.

It's the view of some that Renu Nakorn in Norwalk, CA (near LA) has the best Thai in the state.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to San Francisco! This transplanted NYer has found a lot to enjoy about the place, although the common complains about lack of decent pizza, deli, and bagels are all too true.

It's not exactly ethnic but I'm a big fan of a small French bistro in the Richmond district called Chapeau! You'll also want to try Thanh Long in the Sunset for Vietnamese and the dim sum at Ton Kiang on Geary. And then there's Betelnut in the Marina, which some folks think is Yuppified but I rather like.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that despite being located in the Pacific Northwest, SF can't serve up a halfway decent Japanese restaurant.

You're joking, I assume. There is some excellent sushi in San Francisco.

Non existant in NY :

Thai (don't make me jump on the 7 train), Vietnamese, Ethiopian, Mexican, BBQ  (ok not ethnic).

You're right about there being no Ethiopian in NY. But I only know of 1 left in SF (out in the Sunset). Thai in NY probably as good as in SF. SF vietnamese probably beats NY (not Slanted Door, but there's a lot of Vietnamese in Chinatown that I haven't tried. I haven't found good Mexican in SF that's anything more than a burrito joint. They're great, but they're burrito joints. (Tell me where I'm missing, I'll go.) Where is BBQ in SF? Big Nates? Haven't tried it. Anything else?

And the sushi in SF is very disappointing and inconsistent. I've had great sushi at some places (Tokyo Go Go, Sushi Groove (but I hate that place), Blowfish) and the same places will also serve little slivers of fish at astronomical prices. NY is much better.

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

And the sushi in SF is very disappointing and inconsistent.

There used to be a Japanese restaurant on Diamond (I think, but it might have been Castro) between 24th and 25th Streets; its name started with an "H" -- they had really good sushi. (sorry for vagueness, I haven't been there in a long time.) And are the Vietnamese restaurants in the Tenderloin all still there? Plus, there was a great Cambodian restaurant way out on Mission (past the Safeway) in the 3400 block.

You're right about there being no Ethiopian in NY.  But I only know of 1 left in SF (out in the Sunset).

Just saw a sign the other day. There's now a stretch of Fairfax designated as Little Ethiopia in L.A. Several restaurants.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 2 weeks later...
too Pottery Barn.

???

You know how you can go to Pottery Barn and buy "character" for your apartment? The art deco alarm clock, old fashioned black phone, 50's style chotchkies for your desk. I feel that a lot of restaurants here (and elsewhere of course) look like they've bought their ambience from Pottery Barn. It's just too slick and polished to be actual character; you know it didn't develop naturally.

• 1 month later...