• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Naranjo--Oaxaca

Caarina

I've been away for the past few months (cross country move), but I did want to give folks an update on Oaxaca restaurants.

I have been in touch with Iliana de la Vega from El Naranjo Restaurant in Oaxaca. Unfortunately, due to the political situation there they have closed. Chef Iliana has left the country and there are no plans to reopen in the near future.

Caarina

Oh, so sad to hear this. We're still hoping to go to Oaxaca in December, if the situation there improves. Any other updates on the food/restaurant scene there?

I read the other day that the political situation remains at an impasse. This is such an unfortunate situation for everyone. I hope for the sake of the people of Oaxaca it gets resolved and soon.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If you are going to Oaxaca, I can recommend the Casa Lidia Bed and Breakfast. It is off the beaten path in a quiet neighborhood. When I was there in September, the cost for a single room was $35 and this included a spectacular breakfast everyday featuring a regional dish each morning.I like staying there because it is a pleasant and not inconvenient walk to the heart of the city and it is very quiet.

It appears that the situation has escalated. This can not be good news for the restauranteurs and others associated with the tourist trade let alone Oaxacans in general. How many more of these people will be forced to uproot and leave. Hopefully this situation will be resolved soon and not leave too deep a scar on this city that is special not only in the world of Mexican Cuisine.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

I am also very sorry for what is happening in Oaxaca. I hope there will be a peaceful resolution and soon.

We were so excited to visit in Decemeber or January, but since our vacation time is so limited, I am not sure whether to continue with plans. I have been in places before where the upheaval looked much worse on TV and in the newspaper than when actually there. You just never know.

BTW, this is one more example of procrastinating getting the better for me. We've been "intending" to make this trip for the last 4 years. I must learn to listen to my belly, cravings and curiousity rather than the "practical" part of my brain.

Edited by Ellie (log)

I am also very sorry for what is happening in Oaxaca.  I hope there will be a peaceful resolution and soon.

We were so excited to visit in Decemeber or January, but since our vacation time is so limited, I am not sure whether to continue with plans.  I have been in places before where the upheaval looked much worse on TV and in the newspaper than when actually there. You just never know.

BTW, this is one more example of procrastinating getting the better for me.  We've been "intending" to make this trip for the last 4 years.  I must learn to listen to my belly, cravings and curiousity rather than the "practical" part of my brain.

We are still headed to Oaxaca for the holidays. We'll spend the first 8-10 days on the Pacific coast beaches (Puerto Excondido, Mazunte, San Agustinillo, etc.) and get an idea of what the situation is like before likely heading up to Oaxaca City. Huatulco, the best place on the coast to fly into, is also where the nearest military base is located, and is about 6 hours from Oaxaca City. It's a hair raising ride up but worth doing once.

• 2 months later...
I am also very sorry for what is happening in Oaxaca.  I hope there will be a peaceful resolution and soon.

We were so excited to visit in Decemeber or January, but since our vacation time is so limited, I am not sure whether to continue with plans.  I have been in places before where the upheaval looked much worse on TV and in the newspaper than when actually there. You just never know.

BTW, this is one more example of procrastinating getting the better for me.  We've been "intending" to make this trip for the last 4 years.  I must learn to listen to my belly, cravings and curiousity rather than the "practical" part of my brain.

We are still headed to Oaxaca for the holidays. We'll spend the first 8-10 days on the Pacific coast beaches (Puerto Excondido, Mazunte, San Agustinillo, etc.) and get an idea of what the situation is like before likely heading up to Oaxaca City. Huatulco, the best place on the coast to fly into, is also where the nearest military base is located, and is about 6 hours from Oaxaca City. It's a hair raising ride up but worth doing once.

I'll be driving from Puebla into Oaxaca next week ... I am sorry to hear about Iliana, and I look forward to see what things are like at present. I read La Jornada daily on line - Buenrostro & Barros column Itacate on Tuesdays and the Gastronomia section on Wednesdays especially. There have been some hideous and sobering articles on the APPO, Oaxaca, and the whole situation. It is a good place to get some interesting food info and some news.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

• 4 weeks later...

Oaxaca - preternaturally calm while I was there (1/18-1/31). You could not have convinced someone that there had been such trouble just a few days prior. Too calm. Ileana and her El Naranjo are gone. Gone. Gone. Soledad Diaz and her El Topil are hanging on ... by a thread. The Mendoza family's restaurant, Tlamanalli, goes on ... but it is out of major harm's way in Teotitlan del Valle. Happy to report, however, that Nieves La Chaiguita, Chocolates Mayordomo, and Chocolates Guelaguetza are still hoppin' and boppin' in the Juarez market. The Central de Abastos, a world unto itself anyway, seemed and felt normal. We were just about the only North Americans knocking around ... but did see a fair number of European tourists.

I left for Tlacotalpan 1/31. By 2/3, La Jornada was runnion a front page photo of a 10-abreast, 2.5 kilometer long demonstration in Oaxaca City. Preternatural, indeed. The city felt washed by enbalming fluid which evaporated, apparently, shortly after I left.

But the tamal class at the Fundacion Herdez in the DF, now that was really something else!

Regards,

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

• 3 weeks later...

I just received an email from Iliana de la Vega yesterday. El Naranjo has been sold, and it is definate that they will not reopen. If someone does reopen in the same location, it is not Chef Iliana.

Caarina

• 3 weeks later...
I just received an email from Iliana de la Vega yesterday. El Naranjo has been sold, and it is definate that they will not reopen. If someone does reopen in the same location, it is not Chef Iliana.

Caarina

Caarina, any idea what she is currently doing and what she has planned for the future?

Twitter - @docsconz

El Naranjo is not being run by the previous chef, Iliana de la Vega. It was sold as of 3/1/07.

Iliana is currently living in the US, and she is planning out her next venture. I am on her email mailing list, and I will be sure to post updates on her here for all once I hear