• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick, affordable dinner near the market

I asked about this at work already (if any of my co-workers are here, hi!), but I though I'd toss it out here too. It's always good to have more options!

One night a week, I need to have dinner near the Market. I'm usually not down there until around 6, so most of the little stands in the Market itself are either closed or very close. So I'm curious to hear your recommendations for places to eat dinner. My basic criteria:

1. Good food

2. Relatively inexpensive (this is flexible, but I don't really want to spend $50)

3. Relatively fast (a full, multi-course sit down meal is probably out)

4. I won't feel awkward dining alone on the nights when I can't find someone to join me

5. The closer to the Market, the better

I also don't really want to eat in a bar, but that's flexible. It's more that I don't want to eat somewhere that's obnoxiously loud or where I'm the only one eating (everyone else is there to drink).

So, any recommendations? The more ideas, the better -- variety is good!

Thanks, all.

The Alibi Room. It's never really mentioned on this site, but they got a new chef over the summer who totally revamped the menu, and I think it's pretty tasty (they do the modern comfort food thing). Yes, it is kind of a bar, but during the week and relatively early, most of the customers will be there to eat, not just drink. And the atmosphere is fine for dining alone.

Typhoon. It's a Thai restaurant below the Market, on Western. The food isn't the best Thai I've ever had, but it's good. What's really amazing though is their tea menu. I'd guess that they have well over 100 teas to choose from, from all over the world. The tea is beautifully served in those small Japanese cast iron tea pots, so it's nice to just sit for a bit and try a few different teas.

Edited by dandelion (log)

I second Le Pichet. If you want fast and cheap Mexican, I believe El Puerco Lloron on the hillclimb is open until 8. I think Typhoon would also work well for a solo diner who wanted something fairly quick and inexpensive.

I like Matt's in the Market... one entree, an appetizer or salad, and a glass of wine won't make you poor, but I think it will be over $30. I think we spent $80 for two including dessert, but it's been a while.

A bit crowded, and it may not be "fast", but I think it's a perfect Seattle experience.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

^I ate at Matt's at the Market for the first time a few days ago. I tried three things--the pork sandwich (with gumbo option), the albacore tuna sandwich, and the scallop special (three huge seared scallops with green bean salad). Of the three, I only enjoyed the pork sandwich. The scallops were underseasoned and the green beans were very old and tough. The albacore tuna was bland...if they had toasted the bread (like they did with the pork sandwich), it would have been a slightly better sandwich. As it is, there is no contrast in texture with the soft tuna and soft Macrina potato bread. I know Matt's is very popular, and my boyfriend loves some of their items, but I'm not anxious to go back.

Edited by Ling (log)

I know Matt's is very popular, and my boyfriend loves some of their items, but I'm not anxious to go back.

With all due respect, from a total outsider, I'd say Matt's & 94 Stewart with Boka, Zoe, Campagne & Dahlia, lagging just a bit behind, are quite fine, indeed, more than fine. I just am filled with envy that you-all have such a cornucopia of food opportunities and in a downtown area, of all places (that's the Easterner in me speaking).

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I know Matt's is very popular, and my boyfriend loves some of their items, but I'm not anxious to go back.

Interesting... I've never been there for lunch, though my girlfriend has and was quite happy.

On the other hand, we tend to like minimalism when it's done right. I remember a simple rapini side getting rave reviews from Hiromi, though I could imagine most people wouldn't be that excited by it.

Jason Truesdell

With all due respect, from a total outsider, I'd say Matt's & 94 Stewart with Boka, Zoe, Campagne & Dahlia, lagging just a bit behind, are quite fine, indeed, more than fine. I just am filled with envy that you-all have such a cornucopia of food opportunities and in a downtown area, of all places (that's the Easterner in me speaking).

I am so happy that you had good dining downtown. locals haven't spent much time at BOKA - will give it a try. So many new places to keep up with! But what were you doing at Campagne - homesick for French?

Edited by tsquare (log)

I also need to be down by the Market early in the evening two nights a week. For quick bites, I have really enjoyed the food at Porta (just east of First on Virginia - I like everything I have tried from the menu so far), the bar at Campagne (had a crock of cassoulet last week). I had a decent bowl of chowder at the Pike Place Bar and Grill one night, but didn't go back, the place was too dreary. Check out the various bars for happy hour quick small plate specials - most are not crowded with drinkers that early in the evening, although the restaurants in the 25 for $25 group will likely be packed in November (Etta's and Campagne). Le Pichet's bar is also pretty full by 6pm, better to get a table if you dine there because the bar is high and narrow and set up in a way that makes dining a bit awkward. Campagne's bar is a great place to dine early - very comfortable to dine alone, personable bartender. I keep meaning to try the Virginia Inn. Since they were one of the first non-smoking pub and ale houses, I used to enjoying having a beer and eating there - but I haven't stopped in for several years.

Edited by pupcart (log)

Does Etta's have a bar area to eat in, or would I need to get a table? I haven't been there in so long, I can't remember how it's set up...

You can eat at the bar, at a table in the bar area, and there is a non-bar counter where they plate salads and desserts.

Sharding - Etta's has an accomodating bar area, with both small table and bar seating. Unlike most places mentioned thus far, Etta's does have a low (or no) volume television at the end of the bar, which, depending on your preference, is either a plus or a minus. Last week it was a plus for me to watch a few innings of the Cards/Tiger World Series, but usually I am not interested in watching televised sports.

Interesting... I've never been there for lunch, though my girlfriend has and was quite happy.

On the other hand, we tend to like minimalism when it's done right.

I also like minimalism when it's done right. :smile: I just didn't think the tuna sandwich or the scallop and green bean dish were very good, that's all. The pork sandwich was great. My friend who was dining with us also shared my opinion of Matt's.

My wife was unexpectedly able to join me last night, and we ate at Matt's. We both really liked it. I had the halibut special and my wife had the pork tenderloin. We enjoyed both dishes, and the atmosphere was very nice. We'll definitely go back.

I liked Boka quite a lot, and Hiromi was very fond of it. It is, however, not very Seattle-ish, namely because it has a "scene" full of 22 year olds dressing up and people-watching.

Of course, I may be a bit biased since Seis is a customer of mine. (actually L.C.G., not the restaurant).

It's comfort food improved by small extravagances.

Jason Truesdell

On the other hand, we tend to like minimalism when it's done right.

I also like minimalism when it's done right. :smile: I just didn't think the tuna sandwich or the scallop and green bean dish were very good, that's all. The pork sandwich was great. My friend who was dining with us also shared my opinion of Matt's.

That's funny, I took a friend there for lunch last month and we thought the pork sandwich and the gumbo were kindof blah but my duck confit with grits was like Crack!!! couldn't stop us from licking the plate!