• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BLT Burger

Sneakeater

I think over time they would develop a customer base that would be surprised to learn BLT stands for anything else.

It says "Bistro Laurent Tourondel" right on the menu, right below the initials "BLT". I think a lot of people will figure this out.

Having said that, I basically agree that, to most diners, Laurent Tourondel is irrelevant—even assuming they vaguely know who he is. eGullet members are atypical. We have an interest in the food industry that is far greater than the dining population at large.

"I doubt even 1% of New Yorkers know who he is."

so? that's not what I said.

he is a household name among the kind of people who spend a lot of money at restaurants...i.e. NY diners. There are thousands of these people in NY. Most of them have never heard of egullet. But they know who Laurent Tourondel is. why? because they eat at BLT Steak, BLT Prime and BLT Fish. they read Zagat, the New Yorker and, if younger, Time Out.

I know this because I know numerous such people professionally. Danny Meyer, JG, Bouloud, Batali, Bouley, Circo, Tourondel, Robuchon, and Keller are names that they know.

and some of them live in the WV.

"It says "Bistro Laurent Tourondel" right on the menu, right below the initials "BLT". I think a lot of people will figure this out.

Having said that, I basically agree that, to most diners, Laurent Tourondel is irrelevant—even assuming they vaguely know who he is. eGullet members are atypical. We have an interest in the food industry that is far greater than the dining population at large."

Wow, you're right, it does. Do people really pay attention to that? It's like seeing a movie title then reading "A Miramax Film" beneath it.

Edited by adamru (log)

the people who are packing in right now most certainly know who he is (one look at the unusually old for the street and a burger joint demographic should give that away).

the people who will discover it next week after it's written up in Time Out will know who he is (if nothing else because TO will tell them)...

(If we're going off-topic let's go all the way.)

We'll all agree that just about everybody who goes to Perry Street knows who JGV is.

Would we all agree that most people who go to Spice Market -- even now -- know who he is? I would think so.

Amplifying Nathan's point (on this fairly silly dispute), people aren't just falling into BLT Burger. They're going there because they're being led there. Every notice this place is getting emphasizes that it's a burger joint run by famous chef Laurent Tourondel. So even if they didn't know who he was before, they know it now.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

oy! just to continue this (because I must):

I might disagree with:

"Would we all agree that most people who go to Spice Market -- even now -- know who he is? I would think so."

there is such a massive tourist and B&T component today at SM that I'm not sure that is true.

(If we're going off-topic let's go all the way.)

We'll all agree that just about everybody who goes to Perry Street knows who JGV is.

Would we all agree that most people who go to Spice Market -- even now -- know who he is?  I would think so.

And yet the last two times I visited "DB Bistro Moderne" the couples at the adjacent tables had no idea that "DB" stood for Daniel Boulud. It wouldn't surprise me if 80% of the people dining at Perry Street have idea who JGV is and could care less.

"Would we all agree that most people who go to Spice Market -- even now -- know who he is? I would think so."

there is such a massive tourist and B&T component today at SM that I'm not sure that is true.

This is the verbal equivalent of the famous New Yorker poster that shows Manhattan as the center of the world. Do we really think tourists and the B&T crowd haven't heard of Jean-Georges Vongerichten? (I hate the expression "B&T crowd" and the implied insult. Unfortunately, there's no other convenient replacement word.)

Anyhow, I suspect that non-Manhattanites are more likely—not less—to visit a restaurant because of the perceived association of a celebrity chef. Whether Vongerichten actually spends more than ten minutes a month thinking about Spice Market is a whole other question. What counts is the perception that he does.

That factor is less likely to be operative at BLT Burger, as Tourondel's empire—at the moment—is entirely in Manhattan, whereas Vongerichten is an international star. That doesn't mean, though, that nobody outside of Manhattan has heard of him. Within his more limited sphere, he is nevertheless very good at self-promotion. Would a place called "Joe's Hamburger Stand" with the identical menu be getting all of this press? Of course not.

several points:

1. I know nothing about the clientele at DB Bistro Moderne so I can't comment on that.

2. I guarantee you that the majority of people who eat at Perry Street know who JG is. For several reasons -- of which the most obvious is that it is off the beaten path for tourists and the B&T.

edit: and the tourists and B&T who do find their way to Perry Street are far more food-savvy and trendy then the rest.

3. I agree that B&T is unduly pejorative, but, as oakapple noted, there is no alternative term.

4. Of course many tourists and B&T know who JG is. However, they are not the same ones as those at Spice Market today. The food-conscious tourists and B&T peruse Time Out and eat at The Time Warner Center, Buddakan, etc....but, they are not eating at Spice Market these days. (Even a year ago it had been taken over by a trashier demographic. edit: there's a sharp difference between someone food-savvy who happens to reside in Chicago or Rutgers, and some 22-year-old guido with a gold chain hanging over his shirt -- it is the second type that now inhabits Spice Market)

Edited by Nathan (log)

All: Let's keep discussion in this thread focussed on BLT Burger. If we want to expand into a general discussion of Laurent Tourondel and his ventures, or name recognition and NYC chefs, that's what other threads are for. I'm happy to split selected posts out on request. :smile:

Carry on.

--

Made it today around 11:30. My boyfriend and I were one of 3 tables when we arrived, one of 5-6 when we left. There were about 5-6 hovering wait staff as well. I loved my classic burger w/cheddar. It was cooked rare (no one asked how I wanted my burger) with a nice seared crust that added texture to the burger. My boyfriend had the blt burger w/fries. His patties were more medium; he liked it, but didn't think it was worth the price tag. He ordered his burger w/fries, which were of the shoe string variety, but meatier than fast food fries. While we ate, 3 people sent back their food, so perhaps the restaurant was having consistency issues.

Made it today around 11:30.  My boyfriend and I were one of 3 tables when we arrived, one of 5-6 when we left.  There were about 5-6 hovering wait staff as well.  I loved my classic burger w/cheddar.  It was cooked rare (no one asked how I wanted my burger) with a nice seared crust that added texture to the burger.  My boyfriend had the blt burger w/fries.  His patties were more medium; he liked it, but didn't think it was worth the price tag.  He ordered his burger w/fries, which were of the shoe string variety, but meatier than fast food fries.  While we ate, 3 people sent back their food, so perhaps the restaurant was having consistency issues.

Might not be their fault...

If I'm paying that much for hamburger helper...that shit better be mind-blowing

C: You got the Oak Room Burger and fries for $24.

CS: Where's the booze ? Flowin' like mud around here.

C: A $24 hamburger ?

W-What's the story ?

CS: What story ?

C: Are you a rich miser or something ?

CS: - Hah !

No, I'm just your average blind man.

C: Your average blind man.

How do you plan on paying for all this stuff ?

CS: Crisp, clean dollars...American.

I saved up my disability checks.

C: How much did you save ?

I mean, we flew first class,

we're at the Waldorf-Astoria, at a $24 hamburger restaurant.

Edited by raji (log)

After going to Union Square Market, we walked over a few blocks to BLT Burger.. We got there a little after noon and we were some of the only patrons.. By the time we left, the place was packed..

I ordered a Classic Burger with Bacon and Cheddar...We also ordered the chili waffle fries, I got a root beer float with carmel sauce and vanilla ice cream (Brown Cow).. The little one ordered a child's grilled cheese which came with fries.. She also ordered a chocolate milkshake..

My overall feeling is that the place is just ok... Its not great, its not bad, its really just average... The chili cheese waffle fries were the least impressive thing.. The chili was almost flavorless ..I also didnt like the fact that there was corn in the chili. The only time there was a good bite was when you added one of the very few sliced pickled jalapenos.. The burger was cooked to my specifications, the bacon was crispy and thin.. The bun was fresh and my favorite part of the sandwich.. But nothing moved me.. My favorite part of the meal was the milkshake and my float.. You can tell there was an emphasis put on the ice cream drinks both adult and regular..

I am with the people who wonder how this will affect the BLT brand name. Its not a classy burger so people coming there thinking its going to be are disappointed.. And by having an average burger place with the same, wont it cheapen the reputation of the higher end places? In the end, I really dont care... I just know If I had to eat in that hood, I would rather grab a burger at Joe Jr a half a block up the street.. And with deeper thought, I am sure a couple of other choices would quickly come to mind.. I think this place is pointless.. Except maybe that burger and shakes for three people came to 50 bucks..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Went there today and was really quite shocked at how--to put it midly--how decidedly mediocre the place is both in food and atmosphere. I thought to myself "What is this guy doing to himself?" The onion rings were so greasy I had the taste of oil in my mouth all afternoon. My partner said of the American kobe ($16) burger, "Well, I suppose it was a little better than McDonalds." When we left, I said "Well, that's our first and last time there."

I can't believe how mediocre this was.

I had a great burger here today. As someone who doesn't like onion rings, I thought these were exceptional.

yes, it's a burger joint, no more and no less. One could ask why a talented chef is "slumming", making burgers but I don't have a real problem with it. no worse than a talented chef opening a steakhouse.

I should also note that since the U.S. approved the importation of "Kobe" beef a month or so ago (as opposed to domestically or Australian raised Wagyu)....BLT Burger is now one of two or three restaurants in the city to actually have it.

I'm surprised that this hasn't been a topic of discussion here. Repeat: BLT Burger has something that almost no one in the U.S. can obtain.

edit: of course, that "real Kobe" burger will put you back $62 but.....

Edited by Nathan (log)

Hi Nathan

I appreciate your comments. Just a clarification--I have no issue with Tourondel running a "hamburger joint" but I'd like it to in some way reflect a chef of his obvious talent in some significant way. The food I had today was no different than what I might get at any nondescript diner joint down the corner. My concern for him is that he is obviously lending (i.e. selling) his name to some company that is running the place, but it isn't reflecting any real talent or sensibility. I would hope for and had frankly expected more because the guy is obviously talented. But this is the best he (they) can do? No, I think not, but it is what they have settled for and decided to offer.

Edited by DutchMuse (log)