• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cassoulet in Amsterdam

The cassoulet cook-off has reminded me that I have never eaten cassoulet and would like to begin doing so immediately. Has anyone ever eaten one in Amsterdam?

Also, does anyone have any idea where i could maybe buy some duck confit in Amsterdam? I am imagining somewhere like Fred & Yolanda on the Utrechtsestraat, but really have no idea....

thanks!

mark

Ofcourse, you never know, but I would highly doubt that you can eat a good cassoulet in a restaurant somewhere in Amsterdam. Maybe in someones home :biggrin: I've never eaten it, and never seen it on any menu.

French restaurants are popping up like mushrooms all around the city (Dutch expression, don't know how this translates), Flo, Cote Oest, French Cafe, but none of them have cassoulet on the menu.

Duck confit: I assume Fred & Yolanda de Leeuw has it, and I think I saw some at Poelier Jonk in de Haarlemmerstraat just this week.

The poultry guy in the van Woustraat, recently retired and very much missed :sad: had it, not that that's of any use to you now...

The cassoulet cook-off has reminded me that I have never eaten cassoulet and would like to begin doing so immediately. Has anyone ever eaten one in Amsterdam?

Also, does anyone have any idea where i could maybe buy some duck confit in Amsterdam? I am imagining somewhere like Fred & Yolanda on the Utrechtsestraat, but really have no idea....

thanks!

mark

I havent been to any good French places in Amsterdam yet, an d i havent seen any cassoulet in holland at all only in my own kitchen..

But yes try try to ask Arno A.C Veenhof from Fred De Leeuw Butcher in Utrechtstraat..

Else next time just ask and i'll come and make one :)

Best regards,

Gilbert

Food blog - www.floss.dk

Well, on my quest for a Halloween costume today I coincidentally answered my own question: Flo (near Rembrandtplein) has cassoulet on the menu. I was really just looking for a cash machine when i spotted Flo...it looks great, has anyone eaten there? It's exactly what I'm in the mood for...I hope it's good.

And...Fred and Yolanda do indeed have duck confit.

mark

Cassoulet is not on their website menu.. I suppose the window menu is more recent, but still maybe wise to check if they have it, if you're going for cassoulet especially!

It got a good review from Johannes van Dam, not that really means anything, I've eaten in 2 places he gave 9 out of 10 recently, and thought they were pretty bad.

Thanks Klary...actually cassoulet is on FLO's website menu, underneath Les Specialites. :smile:

I'm pretty sure that it's exactly the same menu that's hanging in the window.

It's pretty ambitious at those prices, I hope it works out...

And Klary what were your two JvDs that didn't workout?

mark

Edited by markemorse (log)

Thanks Klary...actually cassoulet is on FLO's website menu, underneath Les Specialites.  :smile:

I'm pretty sure that it's exactly the same menu that's hanging in the window.

It's pretty ambitious at those prices, I hope it works out...

And Klary what were your two JvDs that didn't workout?

mark

I swear I read that entire menu twice and never saw the cassoulet :laugh: !

I went to Klokspijs this summer, and it was pretty bad, he reviewed it just last week and gave it I think 9 out of 10 ... I was at Reibach this Tuesday, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't very good, and most certainly not worthy of his rave review.. He must have had something different to eat... o'r maybe I am just too critical :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Welcome to eGullet Gilb3ert! Where in the Netherlands are you? Do share some of your favorite places to eat with us!

Thanks for the welcome i'm located down in Eindhoven.

yes i will share some of the favorit place too eat, but it is few in holland for me yet.

We got a litle good italien called "de nello"

Best regards,

Gilbert

Food blog - www.floss.dk

• 2 weeks later...
I was at Reibach this Tuesday, and while it wasn't bad, it wasn't very good, and most certainly not worthy of his rave review..

I have a really really hard time imagining JvD at Reibach...for a number of reasons. where could he have sat? maybe they just put him out on the back terras on some pillows or something... :shock:

Sorry, hoor! I gots to call 'em like I sees 'em...

OK, back to the cassoulet discussion...we'll start a separate JvD topic :laugh:

mark