• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving in DC NOVA MD

akebono

Any suggestions for a nice place to eat Thanksgiving dinner in the metro area?

Has anyone tried Maestro @ the Ritz in Tyson's?

thanks for reading my 'lil posting

-m

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I would be much surprised if Maestro is open, but it would be great if you could ring them and post back whatever you discover, for others in your situation.

I do know that -- towards the other end of the scale -- Bistro du Coin will be open for what I assume will be a drunken and raucus Thanksgiving Day, marked by harassed and harassing service (best order wine by the bottle, it may be a while 'til the waiter gets back) and capped by Michel occupying the large central table about 11:30 and gleefully lighting his last, legal, indoor Thanksgiving cigar.

Also, if you're with a crowd, a big table at one of the Vietnamese restaurants at Eden Center might be fun.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I've always wanted to try the Thanksgiving meal at Corduroy. I bet it's awesome. Their food is great every other day of the year, so I assume the bottom doesn't drop out on Turkey Day.

The hotels tend to be open, everything else tends to be closed. At some point OpenTable will have a list of which places are offering T'giving set meals, in which case you could bring specific names and we could offer up our opinion on those.

Good luck!

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

I've always wanted to try the Thanksgiving meal at Corduroy. I bet it's awesome. Their food is great every other day of the year, so I assume the bottom doesn't drop out on Turkey Day.

The hotels tend to be open, everything else tends to be closed. At some point OpenTable will have a list of which places are offering T'giving set meals, in which case you could bring specific names and we could offer up our opinion on those.

Good luck!

We went there last year and took a very elderly neighbor with us. None of us was particularly interested in turkey. For $40 (before tax and tip) we got a three-course meal, with several choices in the Apps, Mains, and Desserts. There was also a Turkey Dinner, with appropriate sides.

If you like the food at Corduroy (and who doesn't?), you will like it on Thanksgiving. The Apps and Desserts were all from the more-or-less usual choices, the Mains were a little simpler. My husband and neighbor both chose the beef tenderloin, which was accompanied by haricots verts and a potato gratin, IIRC, and I had the fish (can't remember what kind it was). DH had a very nice apple tart, neighbor had the creme brulee, and I had the chocolate tart.

The usual wines-by-the-glass were available at their usual prices.

Our neighbor thoroughly enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. Highly recommended.

ETA: Rissa brought out a plate of the turkey dinner for us to sample because Chef Power knows us and he said we HAD to have some turkey on Thanksgiving. We were all too full to do it much justice but for somebody looking for a "traditional" meal, this will certainly qualify.

Edited by rosebud (log)

"Any suggestions for a nice place to eat Thanksgiving dinner in the metro area?

Has anyone tried Maestro @ the Ritz in Tyson's?"

Maestro won't be open for dinner. Curious, I called the restaurant and was told that the hotel will offer a buffet in the hotel restaurant, The Steak House, but Maestro won't be associated with the Thanksgiving food or service.

If you go to Open Table and plug in the Thanksgiving date, you'll discover approximately 33 restaurants will be serving meals. The exact restaurants change depending on the time you plug into the search engine, but several names are particularly appealing: Blue Duck Tavern, Citronelle, Corduroy, and The Oval Room.

1789 is famous for its Thanksgiving meal, but I suspect that restaurant is fully booked. I think this is a book-a-year-in-advance kind of destination.

Indy 67

I was in That's Amore - which is in the Sterling Cascades area across the highway from Home Depot by Don Pablo's. They had a sign out saying something about Thanksgiving Dinner. Also in Wegman's they have a take home deal that sounds good too. Goodluck, please share with us/me any other places and their links if you have them! Thanks and have a great November.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

The Neighborhood Restaurant Group does a Take Out pre-order. You can get everything from Fried Turkeys and Pork Loin to soups, sides & gravies to dessert. Pick up is the Wednesday before with re-heating directions on the containers. PM me for more info if you'd like.

From today's on-line chat with Tom Sietsema:

"Arlington, Va.: Hi Tom. My husband and I are looking for a fantastic restaurant for Thanksgiving....

Tom Sietsema:  Seasons, Vidalia, the Oval Room, Charlie Palmer Steak or Bistro Bis"

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions as to where to go when you're new to the area and not cooking? We are looking to dine somewhere in Northern Fairfax/Southern Loudoun county.

(No areas SOUTH of Falls Church (or in alexandria/arlington) please!)

I saw "That's Amore's" site as I mentioned in a previous posting and they list a Thanksgiving thing but not what dishes they will have.

I'd appreciate any help you all can spare without making us go into D.C. or out of this region. Thanks! :wub:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.