• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drunk a lil to much....

JasonWV

:biggrin: I have come to a conclusion..... I believe I have a hangover.... be it the nausea or head ache but I think I'm hungover. :wacko: I was wondering after a night of over indulging what are some home remedys japanese style that work? hehe

when i used to manage a sushi shop--at the time i, ahem, consumed alchohol with friends fairly enthusiastically several nights a week--i would go in every morning and have a green tea and a miso soup. the hot liquid, the nourishment, and the blandness and sodium fixed me right up.

not so exotic or weird as some suggestions are sure to be, and yet: it worked. :biggrin:

edit to add: oh yeah: JasonWV: i notice it's your post #6--so welcome to eGullet! :smile:

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

My approach to fraternity Hell Week was to get totally drunk just before it started. Not a great idea.

Long story short - we were herded and locked into a room that, fortunately, had windows. Not unsurprisingly, after an hour or so I became rather sick. With access to a toilet bowl blocked, I chose a window.

As luck would have it, one of my fellow initiates was Japanese. As I started, pardon the expression, heaving, Hiroshi began to massage my back. Wow! Made getting drunk even more worthwile. My most enjoyable heaving ever.

Turns out there is a festival in Japan where men go on an eating binge - for a day I think. There is a buddy system. As one reaches his limits, he heads outside with his buddy. The buddy massages his friend's back as his friend purges in preparation for more feasting.

More technique than the remedy you requested, but there have been many occasions since that I have looked over my shoulder in hopes of spotting Hiroshi.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

when i used to manage a sushi shop--at the time i, ahem, consumed alchohol with friends fairly enthusiastically several nights a week--i would go in every morning and have a green tea and a miso soup. the hot liquid, the nourishment, and the blandness and sodium fixed me right up.

not so exotic or weird as some suggestions are sure to be, and yet: it worked.  :biggrin:

edit to add: oh yeah: JasonWV: i notice it's your post #6--so welcome to eGullet!  :smile:

Yes a Miso soup with a little twist of lemon juice inside and seasam seeds and a green sancha tea on the side. That helps.

Just dont sit in the yakitori bar or some place they grill / fry salmon.

Edited by Gilb3rt (log)

Best regards,

Gilbert

Food blog - www.floss.dk

Drink water, lie down, and hope that alcohol goes away soon. (Take a bath if you feel up to.)

I googled and found miso soup with wakame (a type of seeweed) or shijimi (very small clams), umeboshi, sports drink, and even curry :shock: were suggested, but all in all, I think the suggestion above works the best.

For me, drinking as much water as I can before going to sleep, getting as much of the poisons out of my system as possible using this method and avoiding dehydration from the alcohol always seems to work well. In fact, I've been almost dead drunk before and just force myself to drink water and stay up until I can sober up a little and that seems to be the best treatment. For me, the dehydration effect of alcohol seems to cause the most headache and stomach upsets. If I don't do this, by the next morning, it's too late.

Drink water, lie down, and hope that alcohol goes away soon.  (Take a bath if you feel up to.)

I googled and found miso soup with wakame (a type of seeweed) or shijimi (very small clams), umeboshi, sports drink, and even curry  :shock:  were suggested, but all in all, I think the suggestion above works the best.

Here is an interesing post about hangover.

It's really strange: I have had few problems with pure ko-rui shochu; I haven't had a hangover after drinking it, but when I drink too much sake, I may have a hangover the next morning. But someone says that she never has a hangover from sake...