• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Chocolate

filipe

Any ideas on how I can turn white chocolate into green?

I thought on mixing some matcha green tea while tempering, but I don't know if that will work fine....

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Dye - powdered or paste.

Didn't get your point... oops

I'm willing to get green chocolate, solid. I'll start from white chocolate (paste) to reach green chocolate (paste). The question is "how to?"...

Filipe A S

Dye - powdered or paste.

Didn't get your point... oops

I'm willing to get green chocolate, solid. I'll start from white chocolate (paste) to reach green chocolate (paste). The question is "how to?"...

What Pam R is saying is that you can use either powdered or paste colour to make your white chocolate green. It depends on how green you would like the chocolate to be in the end. You can add the matcha powder, but I think it will take a lot to get a good green, and I don't think it would be ablt to get too dark.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

you can use either powdered or paste colour to make your white chocolate green. It depends on how green you would like the chocolate to be in the end. You can add the matcha powder, but I think it will take a lot to get a good green, and I don't think it would be ablt to get too dark.

By the way, the paste food colourings can be found at cake supply stores and the like (and are likely easily found all over the internet. Matcha will actually work quite well, if you don't mind the pronounced tea flavor you'll have in the end. There's a bunch of places selling it on the internet if there isn't a likely shop near you.

John "let it sit out on the trash heap a couple of days- it'll be green"

Edited by Chapter House (log)

What Pam R is saying is that you can use either powdered or paste colour to make your white chocolate green. It depends on how green you would like the chocolate to be in the end. You can add the matcha powder, but I think it will take a lot to get a good green, and I don't think it would be ablt to get too dark.

Woops! :blush: Thanks. That's exactly what I meant. I prefer paste colour for white chocolate, but powder works too.

Thanks everyone :)

I was avoiding to use food colouring, either paste or not, because i won't have enough time to order it and receive it. I would have to do it through a french or uk supplier and it won't take less than a week.

My problem about matcha was not with the flavour - that will work fine because this green chocolate is only for decoration and the base cake already has a matcha mousse layer.

What I was afraid was if mixing the matcha powder with the white chocolate paste wouldn't cause any problems for the chocolate to set up, after modeled. Do you think it's safe?

Filipe A S

If you have the matcha and the chocolate, why not test a small batch?

The thing is, you might get a very muddy sort of color using the matcha.

That's what I did tonight :) and I'm really glad I did it

The colour is a bit "muddy" indeed, but it's pretty close to what i thought to achieve

If colours had taste matcha would be the no.1 flavour for green

gallery_40488_2237_7366.jpg

I'm not a big enthusiast of white chocolate. For me it's simply not chocolate. But the final flavour is amazing. I've used 100g white chocolate for 1 tsp of matcha.

gallery_40488_2237_21338.jpg

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

Did you thin the matcha with warm water first?

No, just add the matcha powder directly over the melting chocolate, allways stirring. I was afraid it didn't turn out homogeneous but it worked nice.

Filipe A S

This works well! I've seen truffles coated in this mixture, and a ganache based on it too. Dissolving the matcha in water would make the white chocolate lump! I know flavor was beside the point for this experiment, but I think it tastes great. The matcha is quite strong in taste (some find it bitter) but the sweetness of the whicte chocolate cuts that. Or the other way around.